Autonomy 2 or Caribbean?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Autonomy 2 or Caribbean?

Post by archangel »

They are not that much alike, I know that. The one that I'll choose will permanently be carried in one of my winter jackets. So it'll be a user, although not a heavy one. And of course it will be played with, especially during the warmer period. :)

I like the action of small/midsize spydie compression locks, so the Caribbean would have a high fiddling fun factor. The Autonomy 2 on the other hand is much more technical, which is a pro factor for the big boy in me. But then again it's black - kind of boring, especially if you compare it with the cool Caribbean design. And the spydie hole is totally without function on the Autonomy.

My reflex was "must have" when I saw the Caribbean for the first time. At the same time it would be super cool to have a :spyder: auto. :o What to do?

No, I won't get both.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Re: Autonomy 2 or Caribbean?

Post by archangel »

One solution would be to get the Autonomy 1 and the Caribbean. I'd have to sell my Pacific Salt, and it would cost more since I'd have to buy two new spydies... Not sure if I can afford this. And the Auto 1 won't be available out there forever... :(
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

image.jpeg
archangel wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:01 am
One solution would be to get the Autonomy 1 and the Caribbean. I'd have to sell my Pacific Salt, and it would cost more since I'd have to buy two new spydies... Not sure if I can afford this. And the Auto 1 won't be available out there forever... :(
Yes, get them both! I have them and love them. Get the Coast Guard orange it's very cool. Oh yeah, get a black clip from the SFO, adds to the cool factor. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I kinda lean towards the Caribbean only because I prefer the sheepsfoot blade over the leaf, but I really like the Plunge Lock and I must admit that despite how user friendly the thumb hole is, the auto opening definitely gets the job done when you need to open your knife in a hurry. I really hope they eventually do a sheepsfoot Autonomy 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I actually find them to be quite alike. I’ve asked for a manual autonomy, and the sheepsfoot Caribbean is pretty much exactly that.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Except that the Auto 2 (which is the thread's subject one of two) does not have a sheepsfoot blade. :p

I prefer pointy blades. Sheepsfoot is no motivation for me. I'd take the Auto 1 as a gift. But I struggle spending money for a model swap.
Michael
Strider

Post by Strider »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:12 pm
I kinda lean towards the Caribbean only because I prefer the sheepsfoot blade over the leaf, but I really like the Plunge Lock and I must admit that despite how user friendly the thumb hole is, the auto opening definitely gets the job done when you need to open your knife in a hurry. I really hope they eventually do a sheepsfoot Autonomy 2.
I know you really love the Autonomy. Do you think you would still prefer it over the SE sheepsfoot Caribbean?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Strider wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:13 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:12 pm
I know you really love the Autonomy. Do you think you would still prefer it over the SE sheepsfoot Caribbean?

Well as tvenuto said it sort of is a manual version of the Autonomy minus the finger grooves. I'm usually strongly anti finger grooves but the Autonomy fits me pretty well so I've come to really like the grip. I think for people who can't legally carry an automatic it's a great alternative. I'll have to get one before I can say if I like it more but it has a lot going for it. I think they should offer a blacked out version or at least a solid black handle, it would attract the general EDC crowd more.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David