Pink handled Large Lum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ronbow3

Pink handled Large Lum

Post by ronbow3 »

Bought a large Spyderco Lum with a pink handle (special run). Can I use RIT dye to dye the handle black and if so , do I have to disassemble the knife? Thanks. This is my EDC and I'm kinda embarrassed to pull it out in public. Have tried paint pen and Sharpie marker but keeps rubbing off.
sinnyc

Re: Pink handled Large Lum

Post by sinnyc »

Yes, you definitely want to remove the scales from the knife. Going from lighter to darker (as you will be) is the way to go and it's a one way street - no going back :) I'm at work and don't have access to all of my bookmarks but I'll look for the info on the process I followed when I get home tonight.

There's a lot of info out there about dyeing. Some suggest adding vinegar, some swear by other additives - you can decide. Since you're going solid black, don't be afraid to let the scales soak for a long time. Once you submerge them (I ran a length of wire through a screw hole on each and used a quart Mason jar to hold the dye), check them every 20 or 30 minutes. When you think they're ready, give 'em another 20 - 30 minutes.

Lastly, if you spill anything, clean it up A S A P! It's dye and will stain a lot of stuff really fast. I did mine in the garage to eliminate the risk of spilling on our kitchen counters and having my wife chase me with one of my Spydercos ;)

Good luck!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I would recommend taking it apart. Degrease it before dying. Leave it in the dye for awhile too.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

ronbow3 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:53 am
Bought a large Spyderco Lum with a pink handle

This is my EDC and I'm kinda embarrassed to pull it out in public.
Wear something pink and they won't notice the knife - and if they do, just say it's so it matches 😀

Sorry!
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I would try the RIT dye before I ordered custom scales but you might be able to find something cool out there. This site has scales for a Large Lum. Don’t know anything about the business. Good luck!
https://g10.lt/
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

kodai78 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:10 pm
I would try the RIT dye before I ordered custom scales but you might be able to find something cool out there. This site has scales for a Large Lum. Don’t know anything about the business. Good luck!
https://g10.lt/
I purchased a set of scales from G10It for one of my PM2s. He does nice work but it takes a while to get them; I believe he is located some where in Eastern Europe and they are not cheap. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

^^^
Lithuania if I remember right. 2-3+ months out, and not cheap. He will add you to the list and contact you prior to starting. -C
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Did my pink Lum with Rit wine. Really like the result. Go for it but take it apart first.
Mike
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Why not just keep it pink? It is not a bad color (it was the original color for male babies until women coopted it). If you ever decide to sell the knife having the original scales in the original color would be desirable. I would contact BOOMER52 on this forum or on BF and ask about a new set of scales, or call Luke at Cuscadi. If you do not want to do the swap yourself you can send them your knife and they will do it and send it back.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:35 am
Why not just keep it pink? It is not a bad color (it was the original color for male babies until women coopted it).
I’m with you Doc and I would never consider changing mine! It’s a great knife and pink is plain cool. I had a pink PM2 as well which I gifted to my daughter and the only reason I haven’t replaced it is the PM2 isn’t a favourite is all and I’d buy a pink Military in the blink of an eye. :) :cool:

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Custom Scales all the way!

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:27 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Why not just keep it pink? It is not a bad color (it was the original color for male babies until women coopted it).
I’m with you Doc and I would never consider changing mine! It’s a great knife and pink is plain cool. I had a pink PM2 as well which I gifted to my daughter and the only reason I haven’t replaced it is the PM2 isn’t a favourite is all and I’d buy a pink Military in the blink of an eye. :) :cool:

Yeah, the color is alright. This design never appealed to me, but it seems to be a good one. Pink makes it all the more unusual.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Something drastic happened to my Large pink Lum:
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:27 am
Doc Dan wrote:

I feel unusually unsettled by that picture....
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Another thing or two to possibly consider, pink knives rarely get stolen and rarely do people feel 'threatened' by someone using a pink knife....Still, I see your point, and aftermarket scales would be my preferred option. Anything to help you to keep on using that wonderful design!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

mrtodd777 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:18 am

Now you are just showing off. :p
Nice. Who made that?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:12 am
I feel unusually unsettled by that picture....
My impeccable manicure? :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:32 pm
Another thing or two to possibly consider, pink knives rarely get stolen and rarely do people feel 'threatened' by someone using a pink knife....Still, I see your point, and aftermarket scales would be my preferred option. Anything to help you to keep on using that wonderful design!
Very true, when I was a smoker I usually carried a pink Bic lighter because if someone asked to borrow it I ALWAYS got it back.

Also, my mother and grandmother were/are both breast cancer survivors. Nothing wrong with showing your support for the women in our lives. My mother has been in remission for 25 years and I am eternally grateful for that.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

SF Native wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:45 pm
mrtodd777 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:18 am

Now you are just showing off. :p
Nice. Who made that?
I was definitely just showing off 😎