C41GP5 native 5 g10 without liners?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: C41GP5 native 5 g10 without liners?

Post by Tucson Tom »

I've been feeling bad after what may be viewed as complaining here about my linerless Native 5. I still have no way of telling if the knife I have is normal for a backlock knife, but .... I have to say this is a great knife (the Native 5). The lightweight G10 might just make this my "lightweight backpacking knife". With a bright lanyard it won't get left somewhere. I love the blade shape -- in particular the swedge really adds something, and the knife is absolutely solid. I spent some time last night reading about back-locks versus other designs and about this knife in particular. It is said that a lot of work went into refining the Native 5, and I believe it. And the very thing I have complained about is becoming what I like most about this knife, that it is a rock solid knife. I makes me rethink any doubts I ever had about back lock knives. In fact I am finding that several knives I have that are "tight" are becoming my favorites.

Now I just have to select or find a Native 5 with liners I like -- or wait for an interesting sprint or exclusive (which is probably what I will do).
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:I think I'll need more info, maybe pics.

sal

Sal, were you able to confirm if this is a CQI change? Will all G10 Native 5's produced going forward be linerless? If so, I better stock up on the S110V Blurple with liners while I can. I love that knife!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I've been carrying around my Blurple G10 S110V Native and I have to say I love it with the full skeletonized stainless liners. Feels nice and solid and its not at all too heavy in my pocket. If someone wants a lighter version of the Native they make a lightweight Native for that. I really hope they don't do away with the liners on the G10 and/or CF versions, especially in future exclusives (hoping to see a Red/M390 and a Jade/M4) and sprints (Cruwear? 52100/Peel Ply CF?).
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

steelcity16 wrote:I've been carrying around my Blurple G10 S110V Native and I have to say I love it with the full skeletonized stainless liners. Feels nice and solid and its not at all too heavy in my pocket. If someone wants a lighter version of the Native they make a lightweight Native for that. I really hope they don't do away with the liners on the G10 and/or CF versions, especially in future exclusives (hoping to see a Red/M390 and a Jade/M4) and sprints (Cruwear? 52100/Peel Ply CF?).
I can understand your preference for the solidity of the steel liners. Personally I'm very interested in a linerless Native. I tried the LW version. One thing that made it less than ideal for me was the texture of the FRN scales when I really bear down with a firm grip. I prefer the feel of my G-10 PM2 scales, but I like the weight of the LW Native and don't need the added strength of the liners.

My wish list for the Native also includes a deep carry clip and a thinner blade, but a light G-10 version without liners would be compelling.
Jim
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

jimmd wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:I've been carrying around my Blurple G10 S110V Native and I have to say I love it with the full skeletonized stainless liners. Feels nice and solid and its not at all too heavy in my pocket. If someone wants a lighter version of the Native they make a lightweight Native for that. I really hope they don't do away with the liners on the G10 and/or CF versions, especially in future exclusives (hoping to see a Red/M390 and a Jade/M4) and sprints (Cruwear? 52100/Peel Ply CF?).
I can understand your preference for the solidity of the steel liners. Personally I'm very interested in a linerless Native. I tried the LW version. One thing that made it less than ideal for me was the texture of the FRN scales when I really bear down with a firm grip. I prefer the feel of my G-10 PM2 scales, but I like the weight of the LW Native and don't need the added strength of the liners.

My wish list for the Native also includes a deep carry clip and a thinner blade, but a light G-10 version without liners would be compelling.
Yeah, the Native is really a great platform where I feel like they could likely have plenty of options and sell them all. I'd like to see a wire clip. Maybe a deep carry wire clip. I think there is room for both a linerless and a full liner version of the G10 Native, plus the lightweight FRN. I wish the Maxamet would have been offered in a full liner G10 version as well as the lightweight.
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

Linerless handle scales for the standard G-10 Native 5 are confirmed, per the January Spyderco byte newsletter. I presume all new C41GP5 models will come from the factory without liners, and probably have been recently.
Jim
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

jimmd wrote:Linerless handle scales for the standard G-10 Native 5 are confirmed, per the January Spyderco byte newsletter. I presume all new C41GP5 models will come from the factory without liners, and probably have been recently.
Is this just for that specific model, or will all future G10 models be linerless? So for example, will this change be coming to the Blurple G10 S110V Native as well?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Spyderco’s revolutionary 40th Anniversary Native 5 was not only a groundbreaking manufacturing accomplishment; it also allowed us to discover the weight-saving advantages of linerless handle construction. Instead of the skeletonized full stainless steel liners of the original Native 5, we incorporated four sets of threaded inserts in the handle scales to support the knife’s four-position clip. We and our customers liked this feature so much we decided to incorporate it into our standard G-10-handled expression of the Native 5 (C41GP5). This brilliantly simple change reduces the knife’s weight by almost 20 percent (from 3.7 ounces to 3.0 ounces) and makes this popular cutting tool even more pocket friendly.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:Is this just for that specific model, or will all future G10 models be linerless? So for example, will this change be coming to the Blurple G10 S110V Native as well?
From the the article in Byte...

"We and our customers liked this feature so much we decided to incorporate it into our standard G-10-handled expression of the Native 5 (C41GP5)"

It sounds to me like they're starting with the standard version. Hard to say for sure but I assume they'll eventually change the blurple S110V version along with future G10 sprint/exclusive runs. If I was considering purchasing a new S110V Native with liners I would probably do so sooner rather than later.

I like lightweight knives. So I'm sure I'll eventually buy a linerless G10 version of some kind. I also appreciate the heft and smoothness of the G10 versions with liners. So I'll be hanging on to at least one of those.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bloody Fingerz

Post by Bloody Fingerz »

Disappointed as I also love the liners. I wish I had a spare or two but maybe I’ll pick up a new linerless one as I do love the manix 2 backlock which also has no liners. I guess I just don’t want any of my favorites to change. It feels like the new one will be somehow, not as nice, because I really like everything about the one with liners. Oh well, I’m sure the new one is excellent and I’ll just have to get use to it.

Old man rambling over...
The federal government has taken too much money from the people, too much authority from the states, and too much liberty from the Constitution.

Ronald Reagan
PStone

Post by PStone »

Just out of curiosity, will this linerless g10 version be called the native6? As it is a substantial change in design due to CQI, right? Because wasn’t the ADDITION of steel liners the reason for the name change to native5? I was only wondering because I received my linerless KC exclusive today, and it does feel like a different knife. In a good way IMO.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

RamZar wrote:Also, like others have mentioned there have been too many S90V Native5 the past couple of years
Too many varieties of the gorgeous Native knife? Such a thing is not possible, they are all awesome and lovely and it's great to have such a rich variety :D
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

DirtMcGirt wrote:Just out of curiosity, will this linerless g10 version be called the native6? As it is a substantial change in design due to CQI, right? Because wasn’t the ADDITION of steel liners the reason for the name change to native5? I was only wondering because I received my linerless KC exclusive today, and it does feel like a different knife. In a good way IMO.
According to the newsletter, this was an “in-line” change: "All other features of the model—including its SKU—remain the same and the transition to the new version is virtually seamless."

So it's still C41GP5, and I'm sure it's still a Native 5.

I'm looking forward to getting the linerless version someday.
Jim
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

embry386 wrote:
RamZar wrote:Also, like others have mentioned there have been too many S90V Native5 the past couple of years
Too many varieties of the gorgeous Native knife? Such a thing is not possible, they are all awesome and lovely and it's great to have such a rich variety :D
I was advocating more variety in blade steel for the Native5 because so many of the recent Sprints/Exclusives had S90V.

There have been 15 new Native5 production models, sprint runs and exclusives delivered in 2015-2017:
  1. Native5 CPM-154/CPM-S90V Composite Blade Peel Ply CF Sprint
  2. Native5 CPM-S90V Forest Green G-10 KnifeCenter
  3. Native5 CPM-S90V Black DLC Blade Orange FRN Cutlery Shoppe
  4. Native5 CPM-S90V Satin Blade Orange FRN Cutlery Shoppe
  5. Native5 CPM-S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber
  6. Native5 Maxamet Stone Gray FRN
  7. Native5 LC200N DLC ComboEdge Lightweight Red FRN Never Summer
  8. Native5 40th Anniversary Damasteel DS93X Thor Martensitic Damascus Fluted CF Sprint
  9. Native5 CPM-S110V Dark Blue G-10
  10. Native5 CPM-S35VN Black Blade SpyderEdge Black FRN
  11. Native5 CPM-S35VN CombinationEdge Black FRN
  12. Native5 CPM-S110V Blue FRN
  13. Native5 CPM-S35VN black Blade CombinationEdge Black FRN
  14. Native5 CPM-S35VN Pink FRN
  15. Native5 CPM-S90V Maroon FRN Forum 2015
I think many would also like to see a Native5 with Compression Lock because the 3" blade length is just right for them personally and/or legally. I know Back Lock is not for everybody and the similar Shaman and Lil Native with Compression Lock are either too big or too small for some.
Last edited by RamZar on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

RamZar wrote:I think many would also like to see a Native5 with Compression Lock because the 3" blade length is just right for them either personally or legally. I know Back Lock is not for everybody and the similar Shaman and Lil Native with Compression Lock is either too big or too small for some.
A compression lock Native would be great!
Jim
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

jimmd wrote:
RamZar wrote:I think many would also like to see a Native5 with Compression Lock because the 3" blade length is just right for them either personally or legally. I know Back Lock is not for everybody and the similar Shaman and Lil Native with Compression Lock is either too big or too small for some.
Hopefully, the Native5 Compression Lock will happen and I think it'll do very well.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

RamZar wrote:
jimmd wrote:
Hopefully, the Native5 Compression Lock will happen and I think it'll do very well.
Native 5 LW Compression Lock in CRUWEAR!!! :D
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

T_MAC686 wrote:
RamZar wrote:
jimmd wrote:
Native 5 LW Compression Lock in CRUWEAR!!! :D
I don't think they can do a Compression Lock LW FRN.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

RamZar wrote:I don't think they can do a Compression Lock LW FRN.
I'm sure that they COULD but it would require a new mold for the FRN which means that they probably won't.. I would be totally fine with a G10 Compression Lock in CRUWEAR too, but a guy can dream!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The back lock is my preferred lock because of its greater strength and it is fully ambidextrous. Cruwear would be a nice touch, however, and so would Elmax or M390.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050