Phil Wilson Sprig review.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nemo3000

Phil Wilson Sprig review.

Post by Nemo3000 »

Howdy, (quoting Paul Alexander !)

I have the chance to use and test a Sprig since last summer.
When I went to Tuscany it was part of the collection I have brought there....

But the Sprig was also one of the rare knives which were suiting my edge craving right out of the box.

So here is my little review:

https://nemoknivesreview.com/2017/11/21 ... companion/

I hope you will enjoy it. :-)

Tdog

Re: Phil Wilson Sprig review.

Post by Tdog »

Nice review, thanks. Love my Sprig, sees more use than many of my Spydies. Great multi-purpose knife.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Thank you !.
Yes little fixed blades are very handy and always been my favorite since the Sharpfinger... :-)
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

We got a good discussion with my friend Dan Sharp about the use of S90V on such a blade.

One thing which seems to be forgotten is that small games are hard on edge. Hares can dull the edge very quickly.

Here is another article about Italian hunters using ZDP189 Walker because of that.... :-)

https://nemoknivesreview.com/2012/12/30 ... -nencetti/

Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

Hi Nemo, thanks for the report on the Sprig and also some history on the PM steels. Takes me back a few years. It is always nice to get feed back on how the collaboration designs are woking out in actual use. Phil
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

Nice review :) I use the sprig at work just to open parcels and its great. Overkill for such a great knife but gives me joy every time I unsheath that beast
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Nice review. I wish it has a bit thicker, more rounded handle all the way, not only in the end. It's a bit thin and flat in the choil area to my taste. Otherwise it's a great knife. Thin edge, great stainless steel, Phil design.
Southfork handle fits my hand way better, but I don't like trailing point blade shape that much. And the balance is "handle heavy" IMHO. I understand why Phil is using partial tang on his customs. I'm looking forward the next collaboration - Bow River.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

I can't do "like" on all your posts but my thoughts are there ! :-)
Bow River ?

from
//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=68030
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

I'm not sure if it was a question for me, but there's an answer.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74027&hilit=Bow+river
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Nope it was not but thank you for the link ! :-)
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Very nice review, I enjoyed reading it. Loved the pics too!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Mr Blonde wrote:Very nice review, I enjoyed reading it. Loved the pics too!
Thank you my friend ! How was Dublin ? ;-)
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Nemo3000 wrote:We got a good discussion with my friend Dan Sharp about the use of S90V on such a blade.

One thing which seems to be forgotten is that small games are hard on edge. Hares can dull the edge very quickly.

Here is another article about Italian hunters using ZDP189 Walker because of that.... :-)

Sorry I didn't read your link. In all my years of hunting in America (3 yr, lol), I was taught a seemingly more trouble free method involving knife-less skinning before dressing. The hare, the hair.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

roger-roger wrote:
Nemo3000 wrote:We got a good discussion with my friend Dan Sharp about the use of S90V on such a blade.

Sorry I didn't read your link. In all my years of hunting in America (3 yr, lol), I was taught a seemingly more trouble free method involving knife-less skinning before dressing. The hare, the hair.
I agree, skinning a rabbit or hare is about as easy as taking your socks off. I grew up shooting snowshoe hares and I can get 90% of the hide off without even taking a knife out. Maybe the hares over there are different? Then, after just pulling most of the hide off with your hands you just cut off the feet, head and tail.

I also agree with skinning before dressing. He gutted it first which seems like just making more work for yourself.

Using kitchen shears only I can be done start to finish in under three minutes.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Great review of the Sprig. It is a wonderful knife. I wish more Spydies had edges that thin. It is high performance!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
roger-roger wrote:

I agree, skinning a rabbit or hare is about as easy as taking your socks off. I grew up shooting snowshoe hares and I can get 90% of the hide off without even taking a knife out. Maybe the hares over there are different? Then, after just pulling most of the hide off with your hands you just cut off the feet, head and tail.

I also agree with skinning before dressing. He gutted it first which seems like just making more work for yourself.

I have no idea how this is done, so I searched:
https://m.wikihow.com/Skin-a-Rabbit
Chris :spyder:
bearfacedkiller

anagarika wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
roger-roger wrote:

The video at the bottom is exactly how I do it. He did that in three minutes while demonstrating it. With a solid pair of kitchen shears you can just cut the feet, head and tail off without even using a knife. I am a knife geek but I can process lot of small animals easier with shears. Even when cleaning fish I like to have a pair handy.
-Darby
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Nemo3000 wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote:Very nice review, I enjoyed reading it. Loved the pics too!
Thank you my friend ! How was Dublin ? ;-)
It was wonderful, could've used better company though ;)
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
anagarika wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
roger-roger wrote:

The video at the bottom is exactly how I do it. He did that in three minutes while demonstrating it. With a solid pair of kitchen shears you can just cut the feet, head and tail off without even using a knife. I am a knife geek but I can process lot of small animals easier with shears. Even when cleaning fish I like to have a pair handy.

Ah, the kitchen shears. One of my favorite uses is to cut King Crab legs open length-wise. Makes for more eating and less shelling, and getting the big pieces out whole.

Nemo3000, great review. I owned a Sprig briefly and found it a great knife for cleaning small fish. Gave it to my nephew to help with his own fish cleaning chores.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Ah, the kitchen shears. One of my favorite uses is to cut King Crab legs open length-wise. Makes for more eating and less shelling, and getting the big pieces out whole.

Also great for splitting lobster tails along the top of the carapice. Pull the tail up, butterfly it, lay it back on the closed shell and grill w/butter and lemon..........mmm good. :)