Please help me pick my next Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bryan123

Please help me pick my next Spyderco

Post by bryan123 »

Hi, current knives are in my sig. Looking for something with a lock type that I don't have yet (I have 2 framelocks and a back lock). A light knife that's FFG and a good slicer( blade thickness not to exceed 3mm) with a blade between 2.75 and 3 inches. And not too heavy.

I'm partial to wire clips as opposed to hourglass. Sage 5 is a possibility but did I overlook anything? Thanks
Last edited by bryan123 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
Surfingringo

Re: Please help me pick my next Spyderco

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey Brian, the PM3 might be worth a look. Personally, I like the design much more than the Sage series.
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

Definitely need something with the Compression Lock. Para 3 is hard to beat in S110V.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

Hi folks, I did check out the PM3 at the local brick and mortar store. It's just not my style. Pretty heavy and I dislike the clip. Honestly I'd rather use a Delica than a PM3 and I'm not really a Delica fan. Much prefer the Dragonfly.

I'd pick the Sage 5 right now but for two things:

1. It's not solid carbon fiber, but rather a thin layer of CF over G10

2. Not sure if they're still using red lock tite....anyone know if they stopped doing this and switched to blue? Thanks
Bryan
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
vivi

Post by vivi »

Native 3?
:unicorn
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

Vivi wrote:Native 3?
Discontinued (too bad really)

Blade length 3 1/8" exceeds local limit

Hoping for a nicer steel than VG-10

Thanks
Bryan
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manix 2 lightweight.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

Evil D wrote:Manix 2 lightweight.
Blade must not exceed 3 inches for several local jurisdictions. Currently I have 2 knives with 3.25 inch blades that I can use occasionally and many under 2.5 inches for Boston with its ridiculous laws. I don't need any more 2.5 inchers. Now I'm looking for something in the 2.75-3 inch range

Thanks
Last edited by bryan123 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bryan
vivi

Post by vivi »

bryan123 wrote:
Blade must not exceed 3 inches for several local jurisdictions
https://www.google.com/search?q=belt+sa ... 8&oe=utf-8 ;)
:unicorn
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

Vivi wrote:
bryan123 wrote:
Blade must not exceed 3 inches for several local jurisdictions
https://www.google.com/search?q=belt+sa ... 8&oe=utf-8 ;)

Thanks but I'll pass on this suggestion ;)

If someone could confirm that the Sage 5 no longer uses red lock tite we could wrap this up. Anyone? Sal?
Bryan
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

The Lil' Native is coming real soon. Comp lock, wire clip and 2.5inch ffg s30v blade.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Chaparral LW
Justin
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

Johnnie1801 wrote:The Lil' Native is coming real soon. Comp lock, wire clip and 2.5inch ffg s30v blade.
Lil Native....Possibly a gem but not for me. Blade is 3.3mm thick according to Blade HQ specs where it is currently out of stock. The Dragonfly's blade is only 2.3mm and potentially a much better slicer.

I have a Three Rivers Nomad with a 3.2mm thick blade. Great knife but the Dragonfly is a better slicer. I'm happy with the Nomad but I'll never buy a blade of greater than 3mm thickness again.

Besides I have the 2.5 inch and under range covered ( DF, Roadie, Nomad, Cub scout, SAK's) and I'm looking for something in the 2.75-3 inch range.

Coming down to the Sage 5 (3mm thick) and the Chaparral (2mm)

Thanks
Bryan
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Beat me to it--its a *real* lightweight.
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

You keep mentioning the Dragonfly. Might that be what you actually want?
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

bryan123 wrote:Hi, current knives are in my sig. Looking for something with a lock type that I don't have yet (I have 2 framelocks and a back lock). A light knife that's FFG and a good slicer( blade thickness not to exceed 3mm) with a blade between 2.75 and 3 inches. And not too heavy.

I'm partial to wire clips as opposed to hourglass. Sage 5 is a possibility but did I overlook anything? Thanks
You just described the Chap to a T although it is a back lock. I don't see anything from Taichung in your sig so that's another plus for it. Love my CF Chaps.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF