Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but REALLY LOVED once you bought it.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nate

Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but REALLY LOVED once you bought it.

Post by Nate »

Lefty PM2 and Millie!!

I'd also have to put the UKPK and Urban near the top of a list of Spydies that exceeded my expectations.
:spyder:
wrdwrght

Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but REALLY LOVED once you bought it.

Post by wrdwrght »

First, the KW-exclusive S90V Manix2 XL, then the original Manix sprint, then the K390 Police4...and so has been solidified my love of big folders.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Embarrassingly, the FFG Delica. I called it too thin and underbuilt many times. I was wrong. And love it
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Des Horn
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Pattada
Nilakka
Hundred Pacer
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Second the Des Horn, and the Kopas, oh.. the Kopas :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The Urban was a huge surprise and I have a good feeling about the upcoming back lock Manix2.Time will tell ....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
techtlcb

Post by techtlcb »

PM2, I originally thought it would be too big, since I usually prefer a 3" blade. However it has eclipsed my PM3 to be my favorite EDC. Now I need to get it in as many different steels as my marriage will allow.......
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

My first Military way back. Been my favorite folder ever since
mad german

Post by mad german »

techtlcb wrote:PM2, I originally thought it would be too big, since I usually prefer a 3" blade. However it has eclipsed my PM3 to be my favorite EDC. Now I need to get it in as many different steels as my marriage will allow.......
Same here. I used to carry a Delica (or similarly sized knives) before I got my first PM2. Since then, the PM2 has become the new "perfect size" for me. People whine about the blade to handle ratio (I didn't know there were hard and fast rules about this... :rolleyes: ), but I personally love the slightly longer handle.
My collection is ever changing!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

There are probably quite a few, but recently, the K390 Urban. Slim, lightweight, and I like this FRN moreso than I thought. The steel holds a good edge. The only downside is the slight sharpness of some parts on the blade besides the edge itself. The Manbug is also a favorite of mine and I didn't know how much I'd like it at first (my first one was a gift for someone else).
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

My EDC for several years was the great Endura. It still is a great knife,but I don’t carry it anymore. I began to feel bad when I saw how many knives some of you have. At that time several chaps on the internet were touting the PM2 as “the best EDC available”. When I found out that it could be had in a left hand configuration, I called the Knife Center and ordered one. What a revelation. It is WELL made in the USA.
It is a true left hand design. I can open and close the PM2 with one hand. While the handle fills my hand, the knife hides well in my pocket. From apples to wire ties and cardboard to dressing game it makes short work all tasks assigned to it. When you are a lefty, you have to compromise. While we don’t have any choices in the steel used, Spyderco has chosen well for us. The CPM S30V has a heat treat that provides for good edge holding yet it can be sharpened to a hair shaving edge in just a few minutes.

So lookout guys. I now have a great knife and a perfect knife. My EDC is now the PM2 and I am really pleased with it.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Military; I thought it would be big and clumsy but it is a very elegant and well balanced knife.

Domino; just a freaking awesome knife. I can't believe it is being discontinued.

Urban K390; did not know a slip joint would be this good.

Caly 3 in HAP 40; I like the Caly 3.5 but the Caly 3 is a better proportion for that design.
orangejuice

Post by orangejuice »

Slysz Bowie. It has grown on me and kicked out all other knives.
Drink juice
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

I've loved the Sliverax since its unveiling at bladeshow, so I doubt that counts. The Efficient on the other hand was good looking so I picked it up, and now I just love the dang thing! And the price is pretty good, too.
rwponline

Post by rwponline »

Police 4 K390 (back in my pocket after trying the M4 manix 2 much of the week).

Honorable mention:
  • Endura wave - I knew the saber grind would be poor at breaking down boxes or slicing food, but the wave, light weight, and slim feel in the pocket (front to back and thickness) won me over years ago.

Urban K390 - Too small, but so charming and useful can't stop looking for excuses to carry it. Honestly it does most EDC tasks far better than a bigger knife. This knife may drive me to carry two folders...

Stretch 2 ZDP FRN - Not a looker like the police 4, but for me the ergos are incredible. Has knocked the old endura 4 FFG from my outdoor rotation.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’ll certainly attest to the Slysz Bowie and PITS being amazing, but I figured they would be even before I handled them personally. The one knife that I knew I would probably only just “like” but became completely batty “IN LOVE” with is the SpydieChef!! :D

This knife is so incredibly awesome to use and definitely could be a one-and-only knife. I had Josh at Razor Edge Knives reprofile the LC200N edge and drop the dps and it’s been performing like a champ! The ergonomics are fantastic, it’s very light and the blade edge presents itself at just the right angle to maximize your cuts. Out of all the great offerings in the Spyderco catalog, the SpydieChef is the knife I’d most strongly recommend people try out for themselves if they don’t already have one. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
attila

Post by attila »

I've got four Spydercos that are awesome enough for this thread!!

1.) Orange HAP40 Endura. The gf-now-wife bought me one of these for my b-day or x-mas in 2015, but I didn't use it as often as I'd have liked because of its uniqueness. Recently, I've solidified my trend of tending towards exclusives and sprints, making the Endura less special in a collectible sort of way. Now I can appreciate it much more!

2.) S110V Manix LW. I got myself one of these as a graduation present because I like Axis locks and was curious about the CBBL. I have carried it every day since April of this year, and I expect to for a while longer.

3.) Pakkawood Delica. My first sample of this knife was a severe disappointment, so I wasn't expecting much from the second. My current one is centered, smooth, and beautiful! I'd like to carry it more regularly, but it's so nice that I generally only carry it as a suit-n-tie knife or for light use around the house.

4.) CPM Cruwear Para 3. I wasn't sure about the Para 3 since I had never had a compression lock before. I also didn't want to chance it with a regular model only to want an upgrade immediately, so I waited for the Cruwear. I ended up liking it fine, but it's light grey showed dirt much too easily. So, I didn't carry or use it much. It actually sat disassembled in a drawer after a failed dying attempt. A few days ago, I succeeded in dying it deep red, and now it's instantly moved to the top of my favorites list.

I wonder what's gonna be the next addition to my favorites list? Knifecenter is about to send me a Caly 3, and the Little Natives and Chaparral LW are gonna be sweet, so we shall have to wait and see!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

The one that really fits this description is the Stretch 2. I got one this spring in VG10 and it has been my most used EDC out of about 100 Spydies and some other nice knives. I have an original Stretch but never used it very much, expected to like this one better but hadn't expected it to become an absolute favourite.
Today my Stretch 2 with ZDP-189 steel and FRN handles arrived, looks even better and will be interesting to actually really try out ZDP-189 on a knife that will see a lot of use.
Definitely waiting for a first sprint version, somewhat hoping for this one with HAP40 and burnt orange FRN although that's already been done on the first Stretch..