Any update on the Police 4 K390?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olywa

Re: Any update on the Police 4 K390?

Post by olywa »

I'm tempted, but I just don't see this one kicking my zdp or vg10 Enduras out of my pocket just yet.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

anycal wrote:Image
Thank you for the pic.
Is the K390 as a good a slicer as the Millie?
Is the blade as thin as the Millie? Or somewhat close even?
Thank you.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The blade stock is thinner than the Military. It is 3mm vs the Military's 3.7mm.

The Police4 is slicier in my opinion.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Post office is holding mine hostage. Guess i will be coming home for lunch tomorrow to check the mail.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
anycal

Post by anycal »

MacLaren wrote: Thank you for the pic.
Is the K390 as a good a slicer as the Millie?
Is the blade as thin as the Millie? Or somewhat close even?
Thank you.
As Darby said, it is slicier due to thinner blade... once you sharpen it.

What is really impressive is the handle thickness. At .38", it is thinner than my Pakawood Delica. Probably same thickness as the Caly 3?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. There was nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to see. It's a sickness :D

Peter
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. Slicier than a Millie. That's nice!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Great pics anycal!
vivi

Post by vivi »

MacLaren wrote:Wow. Slicier than a Millie. That's nice!
The Police 3 and Military are my two most used Spydercos and I can back him up on this. The Police 3 with its 3mm stock, FFG and swedge has always been among the most efficient cutters out of all my Spydercos, regardless of size. The P4 should be even better when it comes to edge holding and toughness, and the geometry looks every bit as good as the P3's.
:unicorn
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Mine has nipped me already. I do like it and expect it to give good service for a long time. It's a pretty impressive knife. I think the steel choice was a good one too. It should be tougher than 10V/A11 yet be not that far off performance wise.

Joe
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

The Mastiff wrote:Mine has nipped me already. I do like it and expect it to give good service for a long time. It's a pretty impressive knife. I think the steel choice was a good one too. It should be tougher than 10V/A11 yet be not that far off performance wise.

Joe
Mine got me right out of the box Joe, struck like a viper, fast and deep, back in the box she went until calmer nerves prevail.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Mine didn't get me very bad Dan. It was shave testing an area on my hand and instead of continuing on shaving it just kind of melted through the skins surface. These high carbide steels just get right to work doing what they do. :)

Joe
anycal

Post by anycal »

Got a bite letting it drop on my index finger. Unfortunately, the finger was little too far back. Lesson learned.

Took it to the office today. It got quite a few chuckles. Person grabs it, no big deal. Then they open it, and just start giggling. Can't believe how big the blade is for its weight and slimness.

Peter
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Made a special trip home on my lunch break after my first morning at my new job. Happy to open the mailbox and find a Spydie waiting for me. :D. National Knives (as always) goes above and beyond. Shipped wrapped in a nice microfiber cloth with a single use packet of Flitz.

Intial impressions.... WOW!
F&F are exactly what I have come to expect from Japanese Spydies. Thank you Sal and crew for a terrific evolution of an already awesome blade. This one is going to be hogging all the pocket time for the immediate foreseeable future.
*Landon*
runswithscissors

Post by runswithscissors »

I am still waiting on my pre-order but I found it available/ordered/already received from another source. Do I cancel the pre-order or do I just let it ride and end up with 2 police 4's? I like it that much. One for carry, one for the safe.

I am still hoping for the military 2 with and updated lock system to come out.

Do I save the cash for the military, military 2 (hopefully before I die) or be happy with 2 police 4's?
runswithscissors

Post by runswithscissors »

anycal wrote:Image
I am still waiting on my pre-order but I found it available/ordered/already received from another source. Do I cancel the pre-order or do I just let it ride and end up with 2 police 4's? I like it that much. One for carry, one for the safe.

Do I save the cash for the military, military 2 (hopefully before I die) or be happy with 2 police 4's?

How do the two compare and which one do you like more, Military vs Police 4?

Thoughts?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

^
The Police4 is slicier and leaner in the pocket. The Military has better ergonomics.

I like both and couldn't pick a favorite. There is a noticeable difference between a 4 inch blade and a 4.5 inch blade. That will probably be a factor for some.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Update? Patina on mine is coming along nicely. :p
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
anycal

Post by anycal »

Haven't decided if I like one over the other. Had my Military longer, used it in more task, I am more comfortable with it. Police is new, so it gets more use right now.

Ergos are different, but not sure if one is better than the other. They both have flat scales, so neither are supper comfotable for extended heavy use. Military feels more balanced. Police is more handle heavy.

If sharp, both cut similarly. Blade is thinner on the Police, so it opens up an orange with little more ease.

Can't spydie flick the Police. Thumb flick, no problem, but middle finger doesn't have what it takes... yet.

As far as big folders go, I like them both. Variety. Not sure what will make me pick one over the other when heading for the outdoors...
Peter
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Update, the patina is forming quickly after slicing veggies tonight, though the factory edge wasn't as sharp in use as it felt with the three finger test. Struggled to "bite" into the skin of a red bell pepper with the weight of the blade alone. Had to resort to a slight sawing motion to get that initial digging in, then it sliced terrifically. I will see how well it sharpens up and report back with more data.
*Landon*
vivi

Post by vivi »

runswithscissors wrote:I am still waiting on my pre-order but I found it available/ordered/already received from another source. Do I cancel the pre-order or do I just let it ride and end up with 2 police 4's? I like it that much. One for carry, one for the safe.

How do the two compare and which one do you like more, Military vs Police 4?

Thoughts?
I've gone back and forth between the Military and Police 3 as my EDC over the years. Here's how I see it between those two:

Police

+ 3mm blade stock cuts better
+ 4 way clip
+ slimmer profile carries better, less noticeable in pocket
+ more cutting edge
+ stronger self close on the lock

- Fewer steel options
- No DLC option
- Heavier (4.9oz for the P3, I believe the P4 is a bit lighter)

Military

+ Numerous steel options
+ Larger opening hole
+ Lighter weight (4.5oz)
+ Comfier handle
+ Bit easier to operate with gloves on
+ DLC

- 4mm blade stock
- RH Tip Down only
- I prefer a lock that holds the blade closed better, like the backlock or ball lock (Most won't mind, the Millie is a great liner lock)

I prefer the Police 3 for being more comfortable to carry, the back lock and longer blade, but could be happy EDCing either design for the next decade. The Military handles very well and carries lighter than you'd expect.

Unfortunately neither are offered in SE at the moment. Hope that changes.
:unicorn