PM2 in ZDP-189

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ryno

PM2 in ZDP-189

Post by Ryno »

I really wish it was possible for this combination.

My first Spyderco was a Dragonfly 2 in ZDP. Of all the steels I've tried since, including M4, S30V, S110V, Super Blue, VG10, D2, HAP40, etc, ZDP-189 still outshines them all. It gets and stays razor sharp and is stainless enough.

The PM2 is the best knife I have. It's the perfect knife, except when I need something small like the Dragonfly. The compression lock, handle shape, blade shape, smoothness, and robustness all help it outshine other designs. If only any of my PM2s would hold an edge like my ZDP Dragonfly ...

Just some thoughts.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
elduderino04

Re: PM2 in ZDP-189

Post by elduderino04 »

Yeah, that would be a nice combo. Unfortunately, I believe ZDP is typically only used for Japan-produced knives, so not likely to appear on the PM2.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

elduderino04 wrote:Yeah, that would be a nice combo. Unfortunately, I believe ZDP is typically only used for Japan-produced knives, so not likely to appear on the PM2.
That's what I understand. Apparently, shipping raw stock over the western pond is prohibitively expensive. It's much more economical to transfer the final product.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Robbob wrote:
elduderino04 wrote:Yeah, that would be a nice combo. Unfortunately, I believe ZDP is typically only used for Japan-produced knives, so not likely to appear on the PM2.
That's what I understand. Apparently, shipping raw stock over the western pond is prohibitively expensive. It's much more economical to transfer the final product.
I remember reading somewhere that Hitachi is very protective of ZDP, and won't sell it to non-Japanese companies. It sounds far fetched to me but not impossible as Spyderco has these knives made by a Japanese maker.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Best bet is to get to know the Stretch 2 in ZDP. It's probably the closest you'll ever get unless Spyderco decide to make a Japanese made Para 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
StuttgartMadness

Post by StuttgartMadness »

The S110V or Maxamet versions of the PM2 will actually hold an edge better than ZDP-189... They would be harder to sharpen, but if you use a Sharpmaker, it shouldn't be outrageous...
Currently lusting after the PM2 in S110V... And the Para 3... And the Military... And pretty much everything else...

"A man without a knife, is a man without a life"
-Anonymous (This guy has some great quotes)
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

StuttgartMadness wrote:The S110V or Maxamet versions of the PM2 will actually hold an edge better than ZDP-189... They would be harder to sharpen, but if you use a Sharpmaker, it shouldn't be outrageous...
I have the S110V PM2. It holds a working edge forever, but it loses that razor edge pretty quick. I think they call it carbide tear-out. To me, M4 holds an edge a little better than S110V, but at the cost of stain resistance.

Both disappoint when I switch to the Dfly for the day.
Ryan

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I really like ZDP. I know that for many it is yesterday's news but it is one of my favorites. I would enthusiastically buy a ZDP Military. I have been hoping for a ZDP Police3 for years to scratch that itch. Maybe we will see a ZDP Police4 at some point? I would be a buyer.

Food for thought; Kershaw made a ZDP Leek. They got their hands on some at some point in time and made a knife here in the US with it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Interesting discussion.

My father, son and I all have ZDP189 Endura4's. My father and I both have S110v Native 5's. My buddy has a S110v Manix2 and I have a s110v PM2. I sharpen all of these knives.

My initial experience w/ s110v was that it was aggravating to sharpen - very time consuming and the edges achieved weren't spectacular. Yes, they were sharp, they would certainly shave, but didn't have that S turn in phone book paper kind of pop that I could get with ZDP189, s35vn and VG10. The s110v also didn't seem particularly remarkable in it's edge holding capabilities either, particularly when compared to ZDP189. The ZDP89 was relatively easy to sharpen, just a little time consuming.

Somewhere along the way after reading over and over "use diamonds on s110v", I purchased a super fine diamond stone for my edge pro. It took me a little while to figure out what the steel liked, but now it's routine. I rough it with the diamond stone, 10 strokes per side for about 60 total, then swap to the 600grit water stone. I smooth the edge with the 600 just to the point it's S turn sharp, checking every 5-10 strokes. Usually less than 60 strokes total (both sides) and there is a super sharp, "S turn" edge on the S110v. It's a toothy edge, but it cuts great - and lasts! It lasts significantly longer than the ZDP189 with a polished edge (yes, I've tried a similar technique w/ the ZDP189, no good).

I like ZDP189. I really like my Endura4. If I had my choice I would have S110v in the Endura4.

Just one man's opinin...

David
Donut

Post by Donut »

If they're shipping S30V to Japan, it seems possible to ship ZDP to USA.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I really like ZDP. I know that for many it is yesterday's news but it is one of my favorites. I would enthusiastically buy a ZDP Military. I have been hoping for a ZDP Police3 for years to scratch that itch. Maybe we will see a ZDP Police4 at some point? I would be a buyer.

Food for thought; Kershaw made a ZDP Leek. They got their hands on some at some point in time and made a knife here in the US with it.
KAI, the parent company of Kershaw, is a Japanese company so that may explain how Kershaw got a hold of Zdp.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Canazes9 wrote:Interesting discussion.

My father, son and I all have ZDP189 Endura4's. My father and I both have S110v Native 5's. My buddy has a S110v Manix2 and I have a s110v PM2. I sharpen all of these knives.

My initial experience w/ s110v was that it was aggravating to sharpen - very time consuming and the edges achieved weren't spectacular. Yes, they were sharp, they would certainly shave, but didn't have that S turn in phone book paper kind of pop that I could get with ZDP189, s35vn and VG10. The s110v also didn't seem particularly remarkable in it's edge holding capabilities either, particularly when compared to ZDP189. The ZDP89 was relatively easy to sharpen, just a little time consuming.

Somewhere along the way after reading over and over "use diamonds on s110v", I purchased a super fine diamond stone for my edge pro. It took me a little while to figure out what the steel liked, but now it's routine. I rough it with the diamond stone, 10 strokes per side for about 60 total, then swap to the 600grit water stone. I smooth the edge with the 600 just to the point it's S turn sharp, checking every 5-10 strokes. Usually less than 60 strokes total (both sides) and there is a super sharp, "S turn" edge on the S110v. It's a toothy edge, but it cuts great - and lasts! It lasts significantly longer than the ZDP189 with a polished edge (yes, I've tried a similar technique w/ the ZDP189, no good).

I like ZDP189. I really like my Endura4. If I had my choice I would have S110v in the Endura4.

Just one man's opinin...

David
Not an agree or disagree but that was a good post dude
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I really like ZDP. I know that for many it is yesterday's news but it is one of my favorites. I would enthusiastically buy a ZDP Military.
Couldn't agree more Darby!

Maybe Mr Glesser will take pity and make us a ZDP-189 Millie with a blade ground from 1/8" stock and green G-10 scales similar to the 204P. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The ZDP-189 PM2 is a dream of mine as well.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Kershaw could do that because they are owned by Kai, a Japanese company. I also like ZDP, and second the recommendation for a Stretch in ZDP.

Edited to add: Ninja'd by JRinFL.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Bill1170 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Kershaw could do that because they are owned by Kai, a Japanese company. I also like ZDP, and second the recommendation for a Stretch in ZDP.

Edited to add: Ninja'd by JRinFL.
I am on the fence about buying either a Stretch or Endura in ZDP. I like the Leek too, but none of them are the PM2. I guess any of those would hold me over while I wait for the best knife never created.
Ryan

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I knew KIA was Japanese but for some reason I didn't connect the dots. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining that. Either way Hitachi allowed some to make its way to the US. I can still dream. :)

Spyderco has got some H1 imported so maybe ZDP could be possible. They are made by different companies though so maybe not. Again, it doesn't hurt to dream. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Kai makes cutlery in Japan (and Oregon). Kia makes cars in Korea. Autocorrect makes a fool of me regularly!