S30V or 204P for food prep?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fanglekai

Re: S30V or 204P for food prep?

Post by fanglekai »

Corrosion resistance won't be an issue for either steel. Wipe them off after use. If all you're focusing on is cutting vegetables and meat then you can use any steel because those are easy tasks.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

EmperorMA wrote:Yup, Nate. Military.

Nothing super heavy, either. Just cutting veggies, cheese, bread and the like and also being in my pocket while grilling and used to maybe cut some chicken piece or slice a chunk off the nearly-done tri-tip to give someone a taste. Might even use it as a steak knife, too.

Real blood and guts from freshly-caught fish and recently killed quail, partridge, pheasant or grouse will be the duty of my PM2 in S110V.
Just make sure to at least rinse off the blade if you cut acidic foods. I've had two millies(M390 and CTS-XHP) have their edge corroded after I cut some limes and put them away without washing or rinsing. The edges looked like they chipped but I know they were fine when I put them away. Took them out after two weeks and they had a bit of corrosion on the bevels but the edges looked like they had largish chips.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
EmperorMA wrote:Yup, Nate. Military.

Nothing super heavy, either. Just cutting veggies, cheese, bread and the like and also being in my pocket while grilling and used to maybe cut some chicken piece or slice a chunk off the nearly-done tri-tip to give someone a taste. Might even use it as a steak knife, too.

Real blood and guts from freshly-caught fish and recently killed quail, partridge, pheasant or grouse will be the duty of my PM2 in S110V.
Just make sure to at least rinse off the blade if you cut acidic foods. I've had two millies(M390 and CTS-XHP) have their edge corroded after I cut some limes and put them away without washing or rinsing. The edges looked like they chipped but I know they were fine when I put them away. Took them out after two weeks and they had a bit of corrosion on the bevels but the edges looked like they had largish chips.
You nailed it Chuck. This is the real issue with corrosion in a user. Using lubricants or protectants can help keep the blade surface from rusting but the apex is very difficult to protect and is the first part of the blade to succumb to corrosion. I have a s30v Swick that I loved as a fishing "neck knife" but I eventually had to quit using it in the kayak. The knife would go dull in one 6 hour session (where it was exposed to saltwater the whole time) and within a couple of days I would have visible chips as you described. This is the real beauty of steels like lc200n and H1 for my use. I can leave those steels mounted in my kayak for months, or even years, and they will suffer no edge degradation. That level of corrosion resistance isn't important for most people, but when it is it's the edge that needs protecting, not the surface.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Surfingringo wrote: You nailed it Chuck. This is the real issue with corrosion in a user. Using lubricants or protectants can help keep the blade surface from rusting but the apex is very difficult to protect and is the first part of the blade to succumb to corrosion. I have a s30v Swick that I loved as a fishing "neck knife" but I eventually had to quit using it in the kayak. The knife would go dull in one 6 hour session (where it was exposed to saltwater the whole time) and within a couple of days I would have visible chips as you described. This is the real beauty of steels like lc200n and H1 for my use. I can leave those steels mounted in my kayak for months, or even years, and they will suffer no edge degradation. That level of corrosion resistance isn't important for most people, but when it is it's the edge that needs protecting, not the surface.
Heya Lance, how are they biting? :D

There's a local lime here that we call "kalamansi". It's really acidic and we can't go without it for our version of ceviche. When the boys(old guys now haha) are out, we always have "kinilaw". I usually get to slice the ingredients. :)
animportant

Post by animportant »

204p for food prep just be careful around bones or hard material.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

personally i'd prefer lc200n, but between the two i'll choose s30v
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote: You nailed it Chuck. This is the real issue with corrosion in a user. Using lubricants or protectants can help keep the blade surface from rusting but the apex is very difficult to protect and is the first part of the blade to succumb to corrosion. I have a s30v Swick that I loved as a fishing "neck knife" but I eventually had to quit using it in the kayak. The knife would go dull in one 6 hour session (where it was exposed to saltwater the whole time) and within a couple of days I would have visible chips as you described. This is the real beauty of steels like lc200n and H1 for my use. I can leave those steels mounted in my kayak for months, or even years, and they will suffer no edge degradation. That level of corrosion resistance isn't important for most people, but when it is it's the edge that needs protecting, not the surface.
Heya Lance, how are they biting? :D

There's a local lime here that we call "kalamansi". It's really acidic and we can't go without it for our version of ceviche. When the boys(old guys now haha) are out, we always have "kinilaw". I usually get to slice the ingredients. :)
Meh, they aren't biting. Barely staying fed these days. Last year was the best season I've ever seen though. I guess if it was good all the time the good days wouldn't mean anything.

I went on a boat/fishing trip last month out of northern New Zealand up to the Great Barrier Island. None of the Kiwi boys had ever had ceviche so I made up a big ole batch that was met with rave reviews. The nice thing about being a fisherman who's also a knife nerd is the tasks that most fishermen hate (cleaning and prepping) are like playtime for me. :D
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

This blade will get douched after use. Soap and hot water after grill duty and at least a good swish in the creek and wipe down when in the bush. It might even get a bit of leftover hot water.

Stainless is still the way to go for this project, though.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
awa54

Post by awa54 »

wrdwrght wrote:I doubt food prep will ever ask for the somewhat better edge-holding of 204P over S30V and, if it ever does, recovering the former's edge will be somewhat more demanding than the latter's. Corrosion resistance being practically the same, either steel will do, IMO.
First off, I'd choose the knife design over the steel (within reason) for this sort of use, second I think 204P is easier to sharpen than S30V...

The Military is a fair food prep knife, but so are others like the Manix LW, FRN UKPK and Endura/Delica, which all cost less.

I own the CTS-204P Military and can definitely recommend it as a really great knife, both for ergonomics and the blade steel, but I think using it as a prep knife only is seriously under utilizing it!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd go for 204P for corrosion resistance.
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

awa54 wrote:I own the CTS-204P Military and can definitely recommend it as a really great knife, both for ergonomics and the blade steel, but I think using it as a prep knife only is seriously under utilizing it!
It'll get used for a lot more than food prep, rest assured. We're just kind of a foodie family and we like sharing big platters of stuff. I just know that big blade is going to be mighty popular around the dining table, coffee table, patio table and picnic table.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Meh, they aren't biting. Barely staying fed these days. Last year was the best season I've ever seen though. I guess if it was good all the time the good days wouldn't mean anything.

I went on a boat/fishing trip last month out of northern New Zealand up to the Great Barrier Island. None of the Kiwi boys had ever had ceviche so I made up a big ole batch that was met with rave reviews. The nice thing about being a fisherman who's also a knife nerd is the tasks that most fishermen hate (cleaning and prepping) are like playtime for me. :D
Maybe the fish know that there's a gringo after them. Must be nice to be in a permanent vacation. :D

I can just imagine how good fresh fish in ceviche taste, Oh yah, playtime indeed when we can find something to cut. Especially when it's food. :)

Good luck with the fishing.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Emporer, I LOVE the Millie, but the Spydiechef really should at least be considered. If you need something a little more "stabby" you can always do a simple blade mod like I did on mine.

Last edited by Surfingringo on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Not too shabby!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Not too shabby!
Hahah....stabby! Edited. Thanks! :D
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Surfingringo wrote:Emporer, I LOVE the Millie, but the Spydiechef really should at least be considered. If you need something a little more "stabby" you can always do a simple blade mod like I did on mine.

The SpydieChef is definitely on the buy list. In my preferred order of purchase, it'll come right after the Millie (one never knows what impulse or "deal" might derail those plans, however).

The Millie will be kind of EDC/Outdoors knife, mostly for weekend use. My situation is a bit unique in that I live in a substantial metropolitan area where the state and city I live in has no blade length restrictions, but the city I work in has a < 3" law, and the city I pass through twice each day and often go out in at night and on the weekends has a 3.5" restriction, as does the town that borders mine to the east, whose city limits start about half a mile from my house. We go out in that town more than our own.

The Millie can really only be carried legally when I'm home or engaged in some sort of outdoor activity. Because I know I'll have it on me frequently at home, I know it's going to cut a lot of food. I want to make sure I get the best steel for that purpose, as just about any steel the Military is offered in will easily handle all other tasks that will be asked of it.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

First of all I will come right out and say that I don't mean to derail this most interesting thread. And I see what the thread is trying to discuss and ultimately prove. But I can speak from raw experience because I'm speaking of two Spyders that I've used for some time for highest percentage of food prep. The two Spyders I use the most in the kitchen are my older AUS-8, full SE Catcherman model along with my VG-10 bladed, TEMPERANCE 1 model.

I also have a full Spyderedged version of the TEMP 1 also in VG-10 which is another food prep jewell IMO. So for me my two favorite food prep blade steels are AUS-8 and VG-10 for a lot of different reasons.

But I do appreciate all the pertinent information in this thread and it's making me consider looking into other blade steels for food prep. But it's hard for me to change when the old school Spyders I'm currently using are doing such a great job thus far.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

EmperorMA wrote:
awa54 wrote:I own the CTS-204P Military and can definitely recommend it as a really great knife, both for ergonomics and the blade steel, but I think using it as a prep knife only is seriously under utilizing it!
It'll get used for a lot more than food prep, rest assured. We're just kind of a foodie family and we like sharing big platters of stuff. I just know that big blade is going to be mighty popular around the dining table, coffee table, patio table and picnic table.
The Military has a good blade pattern for food prep, due to its length and the FFG, which is tall enough that the edge still slices well even at the heel, but I wouldn't choose it for a *dedicated* prep knife, because of the forward choil and the downward handle angle, which both make using it on a cutting board awkward. As a catch-all camp knife though, I'd say it will perform really well, plus it's a huge blade for the amount of weight and pocket space it occupies, which will come in handy for other camp tasks.

I also wouldn't rule out the S110V version, it may not take or keep a razor edge like 204P, but the cutting power that S110V has with a coarse working edge is *extremely* useful and lasts longer than any fine edge by a wide margin (and this from someone who prefers a polished fine edge for most of my knives).
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

EmperorMA wrote:
Cujobob wrote:I would go for a lower carbide steel for food prep use.
Some suggestions for the Military?
I'm not familiar with every variant of the Military as there have been quite a few. 52100 is the lowest carbide version, most likely, and is an excellent steel but it corrodes and would require a lot of care. Lower carbide steels tend to not be as popular as 'super steels' are 'super' because they have more edge retention. A lower carbide steel will sharpen up more easily and can take thinner grinds and lower angles. Of the Military models that immediately come to mind, M390 or CTS204P may be my choice because they're a unique super steel that do many things quite well. Not perfect, but until they release a Nitrobe 77, AEB-L, or LC200N variant, you should be fine.