EDC Fixed Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hgwxx7

EDC Fixed Blade

Post by Hgwxx7 »

Hey all,

I was considering EDCing a fixed blade and thinking of taking the paring knife or mini-paring knife and molding a kydex sheath for it.

I have no experience with kydex or making sheaths so I'm just trying to gauge the feasablity of this. Has anyone tried it? Any other suggestions for an EDCable Spydie fixed blade that won't break the bank?
Stay Golden :spyder:
Evil D

Re: EDC Fixed Blade

Post by Evil D »

I can't help with a sheath, but I will take this opportunity to once again beg for a plain edge sheepsfoot Enuff in anything but H1. PLEASE!!!!
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Kydex is relatively easy. Look on youtube for videos of how to do it.

I think your idea is a good one. Paring knives are a good size range for EDC, and inexpensive. You can get yourself set up pretty easily, try it for awhile and see how you like it, then go from there.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

EDCing a fixed blade is something I do on occasion. I hope Spyderco will come out with a knife similar to the Izula or Mini Pendleton that can be carried in the pocket or on the belt. The Enuff is far and away too heavy. Even a knife the size of the smaller Candiru would be okay. The problem with the Izula and Candiru knives is the edge geometry and etc. They are not good slicers, but they are tough as all get out. The weight with sheath and scales is good, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Kydex is pretty easy to work with. If you think you might make other sheaths then getting the materials will be worth it. I think a paring knife would make a decent but not great EDC. It's certainly lightweight. But the blade flex isn't what I would want.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

What's your price point? Enuf and Moran are good options, but are they more than you want to spend?
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

I was looking at the Moran, but I'm really looking to do this for around $50 and have something I can carry easily in my pocket. It's kind of an experiment/project and I was curious to see if anyone had tried EDCing a Spyderco paring or mini-paring knife.

The mini's price, wharnie edge, small size, and light weight all make this a super attractive project; combined with the fact that it's designed as a dedicated slicer/food prepper (which are my main EDC tasks) and is a new type of steel has kind pushed me to make the leap and go ahead with this project. I'll probably update this thread with pics once all the materials come in and I have a free afternoon to pursue it.
Stay Golden :spyder: