Super Steels with serrations?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Re: Super Steels with serrations?

Post by The Deacon »

I suspect there are two or three factors involved. One being that, with the exceptions of models with hawkbill, sheepsfoot, reverse S blades, and the Police, serrated knives don't sell well. That's even more true of Sprints and Collaboration models where collectors make up a fair percentage of the buyers. Another is that serrations may not play well with some of the "super" steels. And, finally it may just be that grinding a plain edge on some of them may be enough of a PITA, trying to grind serrations on them may just not be economically feasible.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I agree that most collectors wont be waiting for SE sprints but there must be enough actual users out there that certain models (like a Military or some other hard user) that in SE would still sell some to collectors and users who have been looking for these blades in SE.

I'm very happy with my CE Military and my PE Cruwear Military but am still looking for a SE version for a reasonable price. (to use ;) )
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Joris Mo wrote:I agree that most collectors wont be waiting for SE sprints but there must be enough actual users out there that certain models (like a Military or some other hard user) that in SE would still sell some to collectors and users who have been looking for these blades in SE.

I'm very happy with my CE Military and my PE Cruwear Military but am still looking for a SE version for a reasonable price. (to use ;) )
They just really need to bring back the C-36 Military model in full SE. There are just way too many people saying as much and even if they have to get out some old 440V bar stock to do it I don't care. Because 440V was good blade steel for Spyderedges anyway. But that would be a great model to do Sprint Runs in Spyderedge with a wide array of different blade steels.

There has also got to be a method of testing under controlled conditions to determine which blade steels would be ideal for Spyderedged blades.
John E

Post by John E »

My combo edge Delica in ZDP-189 was my first Spydie. Knowing more now, I probably would have thought twice about that particular set up, but I do have to say that it has been a really good knife. The serrations have stayed incredibly sharp with almost no sharpening. In many situations, I can start a cut with the serrations, and finish it with the plain section of the blade. There have been a good number of situations where the serrations have been very useful.

John E.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi John,

I never had problems and I would guess most had no problems, but some did. Don't speed limits have to be made for the worst driver in the worst car,

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Always have to think about the worst case.... :D
Donut

Post by Donut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:I agree that most collectors wont be waiting for SE sprints but there must be enough actual users out there that certain models (like a Military or some other hard user) that in SE would still sell some to collectors and users who have been looking for these blades in SE.

They just really need to bring back the C-36 Military model in full SE. There are just way too many people saying as much and even if they have to get out some old 440V bar stock to do it I don't care. Because 440V was good blade steel for Spyderedges anyway. But that would be a great model to do Sprint Runs in Spyderedge with a wide array of different blade steels.

There has also got to be a method of testing under controlled conditions to determine which blade steels would be ideal for Spyderedged blades.
That one place... and I forget who it is now, but they will full serrate a Military for you.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

Spydergirl88 wrote:There was serrated zdp 189 but disco'd for being chippy. Serrated 52100 PM2 on the distant horizon...
Ugh, what a waste, the whole point of the meme-steel that is 52100 is for "edge stability", which is rendered meaningless by serrations and the duties of serrations. Bring back the serrated ZDP-189 please, or at least a fully serrated Manix in S30V.

PS: if your serrated zdp-189 chipped, that's because you were using your knife. I'm tired of Spyderco's being treated like jewelry.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Donut wrote:That one place... and I forget who it is now, but they will full serrate a Military for you.
Willey Knives did my CruWear Manix a while back.

http://www.willeyknives.com/sharpening.html

It's not listed on their web site, but I know several other people who've had them do it.
Donut

Post by Donut »

TomAiello wrote:
Donut wrote:That one place... and I forget who it is now, but they will full serrate a Military for you.
Willey Knives did my CruWear Manix a while back.

http://www.willeyknives.com/sharpening.html

It's not listed on their web site, but I know several other people who've had them do it.
Yeah, Willey Knives is the place.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm wondering at the desire for serrated high rockwell high wear resistance steels. Is it just for the novelty? Or is there a perceived performance increase?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'm wondering at the desire for serrated high rockwell high wear resistance steels. Is it just for the novelty? Or is there a perceived performance increase?
Same as serrated ceramic knives I guess. Being able to set cardboard cutting records and then being unable to sharpen them :D.

I'd like to see 3V in it. Curious how serviceable and tough it would be.
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

Is it possible to have a Spyderco straight edge reground with Spyder Edge? I'd imagine it wouldn't be cheap, but wondering if it is possible?

I have the H1 Rock Salt. Nice knife, feels great in the hand but really isn't that sharp for a Spyderco... When I got it new it could only just slice paper, but not well (all of my other Spyderco's are razor sharp). So I sent it off for professional sharpening (A guy in my country who has a good reputation for sharpening and is a seller of Spyderco, but it came back the same as factory edge).

I'm thinking a Serrated Rock Salt would just be like a Jumpmaster on steroids?
In order of acquisition: Ladybug in H1 : Paramilitary in S110v : Rock Salt in H1 : Vallotton Sub Hilt CPM S30V : Mule Team 23 (CPM20CV) : Next on the wishlist - Dragonfly ZDP189

Thanks to everyone who contributes on this forum. I do not post often but love checking the forum every few days to read new posts and comments. It really is a great forum and I learn so much :)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

AndrewM wrote:Is it possible to have a Spyderco straight edge reground with Spyder Edge? I'd imagine it wouldn't be cheap, but wondering if it is possible?

I have the H1 Rock Salt. Nice knife, feels great in the hand but really isn't that sharp for a Spyderco... When I got it new it could only just slice paper, but not well (all of my other Spyderco's are razor sharp). So I sent it off for professional sharpening (A guy in my country who has a good reputation for sharpening and is a seller of Spyderco, but it came back the same as factory edge).

:eek:

two beasts met, and the evolution was born
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

AndrewM wrote:Is it possible to have a Spyderco straight edge reground with Spyder Edge? I'd imagine it wouldn't be cheap, but wondering if it is possible?

I always view sharpening as an essential skill for a knife owner... :p
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

My favorite knife I own is a fully serrated zdp189 endura ..
I can't find pics of... I'm not home....

My second and current edc blade is a fully serrated zdp delica I dyed black

AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:

I always view sharpening as an essential skill for a knife owner... :p
I do know how to sharpen knives... but I do not consider myself a professional. I sent the Rock Salt to a professional to remove the variable of my ability. I wanted to see how sharp the blade could be, and as a guide for when I sharpen myself.
In order of acquisition: Ladybug in H1 : Paramilitary in S110v : Rock Salt in H1 : Vallotton Sub Hilt CPM S30V : Mule Team 23 (CPM20CV) : Next on the wishlist - Dragonfly ZDP189

Thanks to everyone who contributes on this forum. I do not post often but love checking the forum every few days to read new posts and comments. It really is a great forum and I learn so much :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

AndrewM wrote: I do know how to sharpen knives... but I do not consider myself a professional. I sent the Rock Salt to a professional to remove the variable of my ability. I wanted to see how sharp the blade could be, and as a guide for when I sharpen myself.
I really do not see why that should be since you just get them as sharp as you can. Would you keep sending them back to the pro for re-sharpening if you can't get it as sharp as they can?

But then go ahead, it's just my opinion that learning to sharpen is like being able to change a flat on your car or fill up the gas tank.