Sal, if you were to bring Cruwear

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Sal, if you were to bring Cruwear

Post by twinboysdad »

To another model, which one do you think? Native 5 LW? Manix 2 LW? PM2? Just curious where you are with this coming back, if it comes back? Cruwear is possibly my favorite steel so far
vivi

Re: Sal, if you were to bring Cruwear

Post by vivi »

As someone who has never tried Cruwear, what makes it your favorite?

If they still made CW Millies I'd give one a shot.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I have the cruwear millie and it is amazing. Wish I still had my manix as well. Oh well. Anyways, it takes a really really nice edge and holds it pretty well. The working edge stays for a long time. It's pretty easy to sharpen. No signs of rust in this humid florida weather. I've taken it fishing with me (saltwater even) many times and has no rust problems. ****, I've even tried forcing a patina on it by using mustard and letting it sit 24 hours and nothing. It's a wonderful steel and I hope there are more models planed for it.
BTG

Post by BTG »

I guess I've gotten used to the grey G10...I'd vote for that to remain the same and as for which knives id go
#1 Manix 2 XL
#2 PM 2
#3 N5
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I would like to see another Cruwear run--in anything. I opted out of the Cruwear Millie (regrettably), so another run from Golden would be awesome.

For those who have used Cruwear, how does it compare to M4 and Hap-40, in terms of edge-holding, etc.?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Hey Michael, here is my review on it.
M4.. never used m4 but compared to what I see on the forum cruwear seems a little more stainless and easier to sharpen.

Hap40.. no idea but I can compare it to the superblue run. I could get my military to the same level of scary sharp as my superblue delica. That fine edge didn't seem to last quite as long but then again, I use the military a little harder than I did the delica. The working edge seems to last forever on the cruwear.

As far as edge angles and all that, **** if I know lol. I just use my sharpmaker and used what ever angle I needed to make them sharp.

Like I've said earlier, I've used my military out by the ocean, even left mustard on it just to see what would happen and absolutely nothing. The only sign of rusthe I have seen is in the jimping where it's hard to really clean and a slight amount near the pivot. Nothing major, can just use your finger and wipe it away.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thanks for the info, Travvy. Appreciate that. :) I'm definitely interested in trying some Cruwear. I'd like to see a Native5 in Cruwear or even a YO2 in Cruwear. Heck, even another run of Cruwear Millies would be sweet. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been really hard on Cruwear. It is surprisingly stainless. A Manix2XL or Native5LW would be cool. A Para2 would be amazing!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
animportant

Post by animportant »

It's not a stainless steel (10.5% chromium) but has 7% chromium. m4 has 4%, 52100 is around 1%. s90v and s110v is 14%!

It does have a decent resistance to corrosion!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I like Cruwear because it performs like a non stainless tool steel but is stainless and low maintenance
sal

Post by sal »

We've got something in-the-works in Cruwear. As I remember, it's an exclusive. Can't say more than that.

sal
CBro

Post by CBro »

Sweet!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Great!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

So hope its a Manix2 XL, of course a PM2 would be OK with me too :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

animportant wrote:It's not a stainless steel (10.5% chromium) but has 7% chromium. m4 has 4%, 52100 is around 1%. s90v and s110v is 14%!

The % of chromium does not so simply describe how stainless a steel is. ZDP-189 is a perfect example.

I've been aching to try some Cru-wear, can't wait for the exclusive!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Cujobob wrote:
animportant wrote:It's not a stainless steel (10.5% chromium) but has 7% chromium. m4 has 4%, 52100 is around 1%. s90v and s110v is 14%!

The % of chromium does not so simply describe how stainless a steel is. ZDP-189 is a perfect example.

I've been aching to try some Cru-wear, can't wait for the exclusive!
This is correct. It's a general guideline, sure, but there are exceptions. If the chromium gets locked up in carbide form then it can't react with oxygen and form the passivating film which makes the steel "stainless." "Carbide Precipitation" as it's called, is one of the issues with welding stainless steel (the area around the weld becomes non-stainless).

This is one of the cool things about the PM "supersteels." They can use an amount of vanadium that would be impossible in standard ingot form, since those carbides would aggregate into volumes detrimental to performance. Thus, there is sufficient amount of carbide for wear resistance, while leaving the chromium free for corrosion resistance.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

That being said, I think the Manix XL would be a great choice for a steel like Cruwear.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Oh boy!!!!!! This is exciting!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wiped my Cruwear Military down with isopropyl and then inserted it into a glass of white vinegar for 3 hours and got no perceivable staining. If it did darken I cannot tell at all. I used my Cruwear Manix to cut up a bunch of weeds and brush around the house and then put in in a drawer for about a month without cleaning all the goo off of it and it did start to get some little brown spots on the blade and bevel. They all wiped of with a little metal polish and it is as good as new. While Cruwear is not technically stainless I have thus far seen more staining on S30V than Cruwear.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I wiped my Cruwear Military down with isopropyl and then inserted it into a glass of white vinegar for 3 hours and got no perceivable staining. If it did darken I cannot tell at all. I used my Cruwear Manix to cut up a bunch of weeds and brush around the house and then put in in a drawer for about a month without cleaning all the goo off of it and it did start to get some little brown spots on the blade and bevel. They all wiped of with a little metal polish and it is as good as new. While Cruwear is not technically stainless I have thus far seen more staining on S30V than Cruwear.
I've tried apple cider vinegar, mustard, leaving it in an orange, nothing. I did see where someone took a cruwear manix blade and put it in boiling apple cider vinegar and got a patina from that. But it really is a lot more stain resistant than people think.