Yojimbo 2 best edge angle?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JT

Yojimbo 2 best edge angle?

Post by JT »

SSsoooo.
Today the mailman delivered my Yo2. I'm excited to say the least. It seems to be (?) the coarse version, compared to my other G10 Spydies. What do do? Stash it into my safe? Get another? Nope. To prevent myself from burying it into the safe and to not use it at all, I made a bold decision, and modded it right away. I saw Evil D's thread earlier and I was allready made up my mind to mod mine. Coarse version, who cares :D
So (wearing respirator) I smoothed the scale edges a bit, and opened up the scales to reveal the opening hole some more. Sharpened up the hole with a small round diamond file, and sharpened the blade with the SM. No time to regret eh :D This was meant to be an EDC user, so that's what I have now.

I sharpened the edge to a 30 secondary and 40 microbevel with the brown stones only. It cuts thick cardboard, old jeans, and rope like crazy. Shaving forearm hair, noooo broblem.

Now to the question. What do you Yo2 owners prefer for edge angles? Talking CPM S30V variant here of course. I need a strong and lasting edge, since this will get EDC use, not SD. Come to think of it, this is my only S30V with a hollow grind, other than my Dodo. I use 30/40 with that too, and it works just fine. Am I set, or should I try out other angles? Is 30/30 too brittle for EDC?
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Yojimbo 2 best edge angle?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The 30/40 should work well and since you are using a sharpmaker it is the obvious easy way to go. I think you could take it down to 25/30 which I have done with my S30V Para2 without issue. I used it pretty hard one day to cut an area rug up into pieces and rolled a bunch of the edge but I was definitely being rather abusive in my technique. For regular EDC going thinner than 30/40 is fine as long as you are mindful of it. However, maintaining the 30/40 with the sharpmaker is just so easy that it is how most my blades are set up.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

I run 18dps on mine.
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just stick with 30 inclusive and touch up at 40 on the Sharpmaker. I don't wanna get too thin with the edge on this knife because the tip is already so acute, the thinner you make the bevel the thinner that tip gets. Being a wharnie you're going to use the tip more than most knives so you don't want it too thin. This blade isn't really the best slicer anyway so it wouldn't even be bad at 40 and that would give you a little tougher tip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

spydieh0le wrote:I run 18dps on mine.
I reprofile all my knives to 18dps with a Wicked Edge and then use the 40* side of the Sharpmaker to micro bevel and maintain the edge. It makes for very quick touch ups.

I sharpened a knife for a friend like this. A few weeks later he complained it was dull again (AUS 8 blade)

I brought my Sharpmaker to work and touched it up with only a few passes on the brown stones. He didn't believe it was sharp and tested it on his arm hair. Now, he's a pretty hairy dude and he managed to make a very large bald spot right in the middle of his forearm.

I just chuckled. He was mad and impressed at the same time.
JT

Post by JT »

Thanks guys, I'll keep it 30/40 for now.
I did some more finetuning, , posted on show your mods thread.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.