Spyderco's Super Collaborations: C-60 My Fav!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
euphorbioid

Re: Spyderco's Super Collaborations: C-60 My Fav!

Post by euphorbioid »

Does anyone have any idea how these collaborations actually work? I'm assuming that Spyderco does more than just put the trademark hole in the blade. I also assume there is more "Glesser" in some of these collaborations than others. Anybody know any details about these collaborations?

BTW, I also am a fan of hollow grinds and thin tips.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

euphorbioid wrote:Does anyone have any idea how these collaborations actually work? I'm assuming that Spyderco does more than just put the trademark hole in the blade. I also assume there is more "Glesser" in some of these collaborations than others. Anybody know any details about these collaborations?

BTW, I also am a fan of hollow grinds and thin tips.
As far as there being a lot of "Sal Glesser's" design going into these collaborations??? Other than the Spyderhole on the C-60 Ayoob I pretty much doubt it.
Because that's the idea behind the collaboration to use another popular knife designer's idea. I guess there might be some of the handle design that may be more attributed to Spyderco themselves.

All you have to do is to check out the specific designer's past designs to see whether or not the collaboration is truly an idea is his. I'm more than certain. I'm 99% certain that the C-60 Ayoob design is mostly the idea of Massad Ayoob himself. And I believe it's true with most of the collaborators that have worked with Spyderco.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Well JD, I have never owned one and I have owned a few Spydercos over the years but never a C-60. Well that changed today. I found a real clean one in PE for a good price and pulled the trigger. Sadly it is shipping ground from Florida but I should have it next week.

This thread pushed me over the top.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:Well JD, I have never owned one and I have owned a few Spydercos over the years but never a C-60. Well that changed today. I found a real clean one in PE for a good price and pulled the trigger. Sadly it is shipping ground from Florida but I should have it next week.

This thread pushed me over the top.
Well "Archimedes" my friend I can't tell you how glad I am to hear that because I just know in my gut you're going to love that C-60 Ayoob model. I'm relatively certain it will probably end up being one of your main EDCs when you test drive it for at least a week or so>> because believe me that knife grows you quickly. Because over the years it seems like we both have had similar tastes in knives>> like the Lil Temperance, JD Smith models for instance.

Oh I have one question??>> which one did you get? Was it one of the older Almite handles or was it one of the G-10 Sprint models? The C-60 Ayoob is one of the few Spyderco models that I truly love the PE just as much as I like the SE version>> In the next Sprint, and yes I do believe that there will be another Sprint version of the Ayoob>> I hope that they will do one with either a Titanium handle or a Carbon Fiber handle>> and upgraded to one of the Supersteels as well.

Archimedes please keep us posted when you get this bad-boy in the mail :cool: Also when you get time try to pull up some of meat tests results that Doc Snubnose posted some time back with the Ayoob model>> and I'm hoping that Doc chimes in soon. Congratulations are in order!!
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Hey JD, it is the older aluminum handle one. The knife is number #664.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:Hey JD, it is the older aluminum handle one. The knife is number #664.
Hey that's great you got one with a collector's number on it >> My Spyderedged C-60 Ayoob is also one of the older Almite/Aluminum handles. It is a bit thinner than this Sprint Run G=10 handled version but I haven't had any problems with it. Because the Ayoob handles are so ergonomic that they could have used a "skeletonized" handle like the one they used on the original, first run "R" model and it would still handle good.

Anyone who handles the C-60 Ayoob will quickly be sold on it>> I haven't had anyone I let use any of the ones I own say anything but good about it. Like I said earlier a friend of mine from upstate New York told me some time back that it's his best fish fillet knife he's ever had. But hey if it works great on fish or any other food prep uses that is just great IMO. Also let me tell you that the convex belly on that blade that it takes an incredibly wicked edge and it is one great folder hunter too.

Like I said just keep us posted when you get it and let us know what you think. Also the 204 Sharpmaker does a superb job on the PE version of the Ayoob. You'll be wanting a Spyderedged version when you see how great of a blade it is and how nice it works on many different cutting jobs.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Well it arrived. Much cleaner than I expected. It is now in my pocket.
Attachments
IMG_0062.jpg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:Well it arrived. Much cleaner than I expected. It is now in my pocket.
I don't think that Leonardo Da Vinci could have painted a prettier picture than the one you just put up Archimedes. There is something absolutely regal about the sleek design of the C-60 Ayoob that you just can't put into words. It's hard to tell but it looks like you got one of the G-10 Sprint models to me because the original just didn't seem to glow on photos like this one does.

But anyway I'm really glad you snagged one and I'm sure you'll find it to be one of your favorite EDCs if you so choose to carry it. It's really important for all the newcomers to see these fabulous old school Spyders so they can appreciate how Spyderco got to where they are today.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this knife. It is a great EDC and the build quality of the one I got is exceptional. The knife is highly functional art.

JD you are right about this one!

Now to find a SE version.... :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this knife. It is a great EDC and the build quality of the one I got is exceptional. The knife is highly functional art.

JD you are right about this one!

Now to find a SE version.... :)
People that are hard core Spyderedged fans and some people I've talked to that are in the Martial Arts sector have both told me that the Spyderedged C-60 Ayoob that was made back in the early to mid 2000s decade was truly the best penetrating Spyderedge knife they ever made. Now this was the opinion of some people I hold in high regard as being knowledgeable about cutlery and particularly tactical knives.

If you can locate an SE version of the C-60 you would be wise to get>> for at least a reasonable price that is. I won't even pay over $200 for one NIB. But I'm sure there are some "users" of that model out there if you know where to look because there were quite a few of those units sold. I heard that Spyderco themselves sold quite a few of them at a discount price when they were discontinued.

I would love to see either a Titanium handled version or a Micarta handled version of the C-60 at some point. I think we are starting to see some of the old school Spyders starting to get the respect that they deserve IMO.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Just wanted to record my affinity for the Massad Ayoob too. Having missed the original release, I was among fans strongly pushing for the sprint. My Ayoob has maintained a secure spot on my top 5 Spyderco folders for EDC carry ever since. The SD aspect of the design does push the envelope of my definition of EDC, which factors in a non-scary appearance. However, the I love the negative blade angle and find it very comfortable/natural to use for a lot of everyday tasks. I also love Ed Schemp's Khukri for the same reason.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mako109 wrote:Just wanted to record my affinity for the Massad Ayoob too. Having missed the original release, I was among fans strongly pushing for the sprint. My Ayoob has maintained a secure spot on my top 5 Spyderco folders for EDC carry ever since. The SD aspect of the design does push the envelope of my definition of EDC, which factors in a non-scary appearance. However, the I love the negative blade angle and find it very comfortable/natural to use for a lot of everyday tasks. I also love Ed Schemp's Khukri for the same reason.
I totally hear you "MAKO" because the comfort aspect of the C-60 is just unbelievable. It's almost like an ergonomic dream folder in many ways. You're in a natural cutting position no matter what angle you're holding it at. The plain edged version can be used for just about any cutting chore you can imagine.

Many of the newer fans we've got here at the Spyderville forum have no idea or should I say very little idea at how well designed some of these old school Spyders are. You just got to consider that it was models like this one that got Spyderco in the top slot they enjoy today. The C-60 truly is a timeless design and extremely functional. Every person I've recommended the C-60 Ayoob model I haven't even had one person not like it. And again the comfort of using it just can't be beat IMO.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

There out of this guys price range. The cheapest c60 I found was 100.00,and it was way abused.

Nice knife though

I bet they cut well and keep your hands off the cut
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JAfromMN wrote:There out of this guys price range. The cheapest c60 I found was 100.00,and it was way abused.

Nice knife though

That's a problem with a lot of the old school Spyders because the ones that have been used I would say many of them have been through the equivalent of two World Wars at this stage of the game. However I would love the challenge of taking one like you just described and trying to resurrect it. Because a C-60 Ayoob model is one of the few Spyderco models I would spend a bit of time and money trying to resurrect.

The G-10 model would probably be easier to revamp than the older, original model with the Almite handle. So if I were you I would be on the lookout for a G-10 Sprint model. You are right about how well they cut and how well you can maneuver with it even in tight situations. Which is why my one buddy told me that it makes the best fish fillet knife he's ever used >> which actually surprised me just a bit with all the superb fillet knives out there on the market including Spyderco's great Catcherman model.

I seriously doubt if anyone would ever develop "carpal tunnel syndrome" by using it. Because it is very comfortable to use.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

JD Spydo wrote:
JAfromMN wrote:There out of this guys price range. The cheapest c60 I found was 100.00,and it was way abused.

Nice knife though

That's a problem with a lot of the old school Spyders because the ones that have been used I would say many of them have been through the equivalent of two World Wars at this stage of the game. However I would love the challenge of taking one like you just described and trying to resurrect it. Because a C-60 Ayoob model is one of the few Spyderco models I would spend a bit of time and money trying to resurrect.

The G-10 model would probably be easier to revamp than the older, original model with the Almite handle. So if I were you I would be on the lookout for a G-10 Sprint model. You are right about how well they cut and how well you can maneuver with it even in tight situations. Which is why my one buddy told me that it makes the best fish fillet knife he's ever used >> which actually surprised me just a bit with all the superb fillet knives out there on the market including Spyderco's great Catcherman model.

I seriously doubt if anyone would ever develop "carpal tunnel syndrome" by using it. Because it is very comfortable to use.

I'm keeping my eyes open for one
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

And like I said before I don't know of anyone that I personally recommended the C-60 Ayoob to that told me later that they didn't like it. I got my boss and my head administrator both one during the Sprint Run and you couldn't get either one of them to sell or trade theirs.

I don't know exactly how many of them were made and sold during the G-10 Sprint Run>> I suspect it was in around the 1200 range would be my guess. Well try and find one now. From people I've talked to that tell me it's easier to find one of the older Almite versions than it is to find a Sprint Run version.