Anyone rock a Kiwi 4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vlawson

Anyone rock a Kiwi 4?

Post by vlawson »

Seems like this little guys flies under the radar a bit. Anyone use/carry one? Why and when? Pros, cons, pics?

Comparisons?

Thanks. For whatever reason, I'm suddenly intrigued!
"Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby, edgy and dull
and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my soul"
Evil D

Re: Anyone rock a Kiwi 4?

Post by Evil D »

Yep, right here. I've been one of the biggest supporters of this one since it came out. I carry mine almost like a backup-backup...it's so light and easy to carry that I catch myself carrying it for no real reason at all even when I already have my main EDC and smaller backup blade. Why and when, I guess why would be because I really love the ergonomics and how they lock the blade in your hand, and when would be pretty much all the time lol.

Pros: Small profile when you carry it but folds out to have a 2 1/2 inches of cutting edge, amazing ergonomics, could be less intimidating depending on your situation, less tactical looking than most knives, thin blade stock and FFG grind means it slices with the best of them, and I love wharnies, and though they aren't as versatile in some situations as a blade that has some belly, the short blade height makes some cutting situations much easier, such as cutting out circles in material. It would also be an excellent carving knife if you're into that.

Cons: Definitely not a hard use/beater knife but will excel at utility type work such as breaking down boxes, can be a little tricky to open one handed because of how small and slender the profile is, wharnie blades aren't as versatile as a typical blade that has a belly, and personally I really wish it was all screw construction instead of pinned but I understand that it's a necessity of the design.

If you've never held a Kiwi in general, let alone the Kiwi 4, you're in for a treat. There really isn't any other knife in the catalog that comes close to how this one feels in your hand, and off the top of my head I don't know of another knife by any maker that comes close except maybe an Alan Folts Minimalist. It definitely opens very differently than any other knife in the catalog due to how slender the handle is so it takes some practice to be able to open it consistently with one hand but it's not too bad. I've even polished the handle on mine which can make it even more difficult to keep a hold of while opening it but I get it done.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A big +1 on all that. I could just copy and paste D's comments. It is super slim in the pocket and super comfortable in hand. I like it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Not a huge fan of the Kiwi 3, but I'm loving the original Kiwi.
Carry that one everywhere since I got it :)
Might have to try out the Kiwi 4 when I have a chance to!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Kiwi 4 was in my pocket yesterday, I find it to be a great balance of light weight and cutting ability. It took a bit to warm up to the grip, but now that I "get it" the ergos are some of my favorite.

It's sort of a high price point for it's size, but I'd say it's worth the asking price in terms of utility. The 4 is *much* more knife than the 3 IMO.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

awa54 wrote:Kiwi 4 was in my pocket yesterday, I find it to be a great balance of light weight and cutting ability. It took a bit to warm up to the grip, but now that I "get it" the ergos are some of my favorite.

It's sort of a high price point for it's size, but I'd say it's worth the asking price in terms of utility. The 4 is *much* more knife than the 3 IMO.
Better steel and a lock, that's plenty more for me. I would love to see an all stainless version though.
~David
vlawson

Post by vlawson »

Wow. I wonder how many more Kiwi 4's will be sold before the year is through, solely because of Evil D's post! Ha. He should get a commission!

Thanks!
"Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby, edgy and dull
and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my soul"
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Kiwi 4 is one of my favorites! I don't own a lot, but of all my spydies I'd buy the kiwi 4 again first! I'm a big fan of smaller knives, so for me its a great size overall. It feels great in hand and the nice thin blade stock is a serious slicer.

Also, great explanation Evil D, nicely done!
- Nick :bug-red
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Nope, was way smaller and fragile than I expected. I was hoping for this to be the Delica to the Yo2's Endura and it is more like the Ladybug to the Yo2. My expectations were probably unrealistic. I agree with Deacon though, this is gents all the way and the clip kills the look
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vlawson wrote:Wow. I wonder how many more Kiwi 4's will be sold before the year is through, solely because of Evil D's post! Ha. He should get a commission!

Thanks!
I'm fine taking that commission in free knives please :D
~David
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Evil D wrote:
vlawson wrote:Wow. I wonder how many more Kiwi 4's will be sold before the year is through, solely because of Evil D's post! Ha. He should get a commission!

Thanks!
Whatever happened with your Kiwi pimping business Evil?

I still have dibs on the first production model.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Thanks!

Man, I'm pretty sure I got bronchitis from doing those scales and probably have fiberglass in my lungs for life now. I'd have to charge more than it's worth to do the work for someone else lol. I'd sooner sell the knife and do another one for myself, but again you come to the question of what's it worth and I'm never good at that sort of thing.

Honestly my main goal with that knife was to get Sal's attention and hopefully persuade him to make a production version. I'm holding my breath that more is in the works for this model, since a lot of times a G10 version is the early working model they start with and tweak things in CQI before moving on to stainless models and hopefully some badass bolsters and inlays. If I could get this knife with maybe Superblue and bolsters with inlays, even just polished G10 inlays doesn't have to be too exotic, I'd be sooooooooo happy.
~David
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Evil D wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Thanks!

Man, I'm pretty sure I got bronchitis from doing those scales and probably have fiberglass in my lungs for life now. I'd have to charge more than it's worth to do the work for someone else lol. I'd sooner sell the knife and do another one for myself, but again you come to the question of what's it worth and I'm never good at that sort of thing.

Honestly my main goal with that knife was to get Sal's attention and hopefully persuade him to make a production version. I'm holding my breath that more is in the works for this model, since a lot of times a G10 version is the early working model they start with and tweak things in CQI before moving on to stainless models and hopefully some badass bolsters and inlays. If I could get this knife with maybe Superblue and bolsters with inlays, even just polished G10 inlays doesn't have to be too exotic, I'd be sooooooooo happy.
Didn't really have time to read the whole response but I am guessing you said mine is in the mail?

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Evil D wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Thanks!

Didn't really have time to read the whole response but I am guessing you said mine is in the mail?
Yep. Go stand by your mailbox and wait, should be there wasn't any minute ;)
~David
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Evil D wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Evil D wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Thanks!

Yep. Go stand by your mailbox and wait, should be there wasn't any minute ;)
Hmm so I am still waiting. Starting to think it might not come.