New Spyderco for 2016: The Introvert Flipper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What are your top 2 blade steel picks for the new Spyderco Introvert Flipper

Super Blue -- easy to sharpen carbon steel
19%
HAP40 -- similar to the very popular M4
16%
VG10 -- a Spyderco go-to stainless steel
37%
Hitachi White -- very pure carbon steel
10%
ZDP-189 -- high hardness and edge retention
10%
Super Gold -- high-end powdered tool steel
7%
Other (please specify below)
1%

Total votes: 70

bearfacedkiller

Re: New Spyderco for 2016: The Introvert Flipper

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This is a niche knife. Isn't this a purpose built self defense knife? I wouldn't expect it to appeal to very many for that reason. The only other application would be one where you don't want to drop your knife like fishing or working from high places. I don't see the need for a premium steel in a self defense knife myself so vg10 makes the most sense to me. The msrp does seem pretty high. This may be a tough sale. I would definitely have to handle one first.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Yeah, no thanks. That knife just looks too busy. Too much going on.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

yablanowitz wrote:They can use plastic for all I care. My interest in this model is too small to be seen with an electron microscope.
+1.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Evil D wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:They can use plastic for all I care. My interest in this model is too small to be seen with an electron microscope.
Perhaps a bit more blunt than I'd have worded it, but yeah. Chalk this one up as one of those "I'm glad they're adventurous and make interesting and unusual knives, but this one isn't for me".
We handled it at the Amsterdam meet. I can understand the utility and purpose- but it's not for me.

But like I've said before- I'm not supposed like every single knife Spyderco make!
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Zero interest in this knife. I don't see why Spyderco would bring it to market. They won't sell many at a "user" price point and it's kind of plain compared to the more fancy collector oriented models (Rubicon, etc).
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

PM1 wrote:
Popsickle wrote:Super gold has already been said to be too expensive.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Super Gold said to be only too expensive for the Delica/Endura line? This is a much more expensive knife.
To my understanding Sal said it would make them too expensive, and while he was referring to the delica/endura line at the moment..... he was also directly saying the price of super gold 2 was too high for any knife at the current time.

Almost all japanese models come in with vg10 unless a sprint run or ZDP exceptions. I understand your desire to see forum thoughts on this, but those are the only two steels probable for this knife with vg10 being 95% of that probability.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

And for those thinking a super steel will be included in the "much more expensive knife"..... take a look at the karahawk priced around 180 as well...... vg10. Sorry to burst anyones bubble but thats what i see coming out.
PM1

Post by PM1 »

I have no problem if certain people have no interest in this knife. That's fine and dandy. The Introvert is an unusual design, so this is to be expected.

However, this is a poll asking what blade steel would make The Introvert MOST APPEALING TO YOU. So, answers that suggest the inevitability of VG10 or that Spyderco has probably already decided on something and their decision is written in stone are not really answering the poll question. It does make me wonder if the votes for VG10 are really for people that WANT VG10 or is it forum members just telling me what they think we'll get.

I have activated the ability to change your vote if anyone should desire to do this. If VG10 wins, great. I do hope, however, votes will be based on what steel would make The Introvert MOST APPEALING TO YOU.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

PM1 wrote:I have no problem if certain people have no interest in this knife. That's fine and dandy. The Introvert is an unusual design, so this is to be expected.

However, this is a poll asking what blade steel would make The Introvert MOST APPEALING TO YOU. So, answers that suggest the inevitability of VG10 or that Spyderco has probably already decided on something and their decision is written in stone are not really answering the poll question. It does make me wonder if the votes for VG10 are really for people that WANT VG10 or is it forum members just telling me what they think we'll get.

I have activated the ability to change your vote if anyone should desire to do this. If VG10 wins, great. I do hope, however, votes will be based on what steel would make The Introvert MOST APPEALING TO YOU.
It actually sounds like your trying to make yourself feel better about it actually being vg10... but YMMV as with everyone else. Cool design and i hope you like it when you get.

I understand the what ifs and what could be is fun to talk about for sure :)
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I made something just like it in laminated super blue, and it rusted in the finger hole really badly. I think you need VG10 in this application, or H1.

Also, it's a midlock, and that's where the price is coming from. I expect only martial artists, fishermen, and linesmen will be using it or training with it. I designed it to be a folding swick so I could carry it at work, and it serves the purpose well.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

It had to happen sooner or later but this is the one spyderco I think is ugly and I wouldn't carry it.

I like the idea of it but it just looks awful
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

JAfromMN wrote:It had to happen sooner or later but this is the one spyderco I think is ugly and I wouldn't carry it.

This is the first time?? :eek: ****, I think lots of Spydercos are ugly!! :D In fact I reckon some of my favorites are ugly ducklings. The Swick, for example, is one of my favorites but it's not winning any beauty contests. They just work so well I can't help but love them.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Surfingringo wrote:
JAfromMN wrote:It had to happen sooner or later but this is the one spyderco I think is ugly and I wouldn't carry it.

This is the first time?? :eek: ****, I think lots of Spydercos are ugly!! :D In fact I reckon some of my favorites are ugly ducklings. The Swick, for example, is one of my favorites but it's not winning any beauty contests. They just work so well I can't help but love them.

I also can't believe its the first time you thought it was ugly.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Having fondled this knife in prototype form, I have to say, it's a fine bit of design and I can't wait to see how it turns out. Nothing else like it on the market, that's for certain. My recommendation is handle it before you judge. I wouldn't consider most of my favorite knives pretty. Having corresponded with Chris regarding the knife I thought VG-10 was what we had in store.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

araneae wrote:Having fondled this knife in prototype form, I have to say, it's a fine bit of design and I can't wait to see how it turns out. Nothing else like it on the market, that's for certain. My recommendation is handle it before you judge. I wouldn't consider most of my favorite knives pretty. Having corresponded with Chris regarding the knife I thought VG-10 was what we had in store.
Having also had the chance to handle the knife at Blade I would offer the same advice.
PM1

Post by PM1 »

Handsome is as handsome does. :D

I will admit The Introvert is odd looking. However, I am a full convert to the knives with index finger holes support camp.

It all started a couple years ago when I needed an EDC knife for when I was in Germany. One hand opening, locking knives are a no-go there. So, your only real folding options are a slipjoint, like the UKPK, Pingo, SPY-DK etc... However, Germany does allow the carry of fixed blades of less than 12cm blade length as long as they are not "weapons" (i.e. daggers or something advertised by the maker as a fighting knife). I ended up buying a knife called The Amigo by Kizlyar Supreme with a bright orange handle (it is pictured below above a Spyderco Swick 4). I figured a name like Amigo and a bright handle made it pretty non-weapony, and it is very small with just about a 2" blade.

At first I wasn't sure if this would be enough knife to do anything; however, I discovered that the finger hole gave me such a vice-like, molded-to-my-hand grip that The Amigo was capable of punching well above its weight. Although some talk about The Introvert as being a fighting knife, I disagree. This style of knife is super useful for everything.

So, before judging The Introvert on looks alone, I would highly recommend feeling it in your hand. You may be seriously shocked. :eek:

The bottom line is this: knives with index finger holes are super secure and comfortable, and Spyderco makes awesome knives. This means The Introvert will likely be an epic knife despite its unusual appearance. Wait and see.
Attachments
DSC01766.jpeg
762cal

Post by 762cal »

voted for VG10. probably a SALT version of this! this would be my ideal folder on my kayak!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I was actually gonna say that H1 made a lot of sense considering the price and application but the prototype is flat ground so probably not H1 unless the grind has changed.

I like the look of that Amigo but I like small fixed blades a lot.

My reference to it being a self defense knife is just what I had heard on here. I agree that a finger hole is not just for SD. I think Fred Perrin said that he was working from scaffolding when he got the idea to work them into his designs and I know that both Gringo and myself like to use the Swick fishing for the added security that the finger hole provides. I like that I can tie a knot while holding my knife. I also like how easy it is to access when icefishing if I clip it to my the shoulder strap of my bibs. It is remarkably easy to lose stuff out on the ice if the weather is bad.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

What an intriguing piece.

From Chris' (SolidState?) own comment on SpyderCollector's site:
My goal was to make a folding Swick for EDC. The blade size was kept that way to allow for carry in restricted spaces. The leaf shape was chosen because it can be reground to wharnie, but a wharnie cannot be made into a leaf. The lock was designed to be ambidextrous because flippers so rarely are lefty-friendly. Most of the ergos on the knife follow time-tested Spyderco favorites. I have to thank Eric and Sal for being so helpful in making this a reality, and for having the SPOT/SWICK?Caspian/Bi-Fold line to inspire me.
Stainless is the way to go for this application, I think.

For all it's unconventional looks, there's some beautiful flow to the design, especially in how all the finger grooves on the handle line up with the opening/finger holes/thumb ramp open and closed. It's very thoughtful, and I see it more for utility than SD. I think it would look crazy scary but super useful with a hawkbill.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

PM1 wrote:However, this is a poll asking what blade steel would make The Introvert MOST APPEALING TO YOU.
Gotcha. Monomolecular unobtainium would help somewhat. ;)

Gordon