Unscientific Testing - Freezing the Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hudsonhawk

Unscientific Testing - Freezing the Manix

Post by hudsonhawk »

I have been carrying and enjoying my LW Manix 2 for a while now. I was initially hesitant to try out FRCP after so many years of trust gained from my FRN knives. I like this knife so much as my daily EDC knife, I'd love to start carrying one as my work knife as well but it would take a lot to oust my department engraved FRN Endura 4. I often work outdoors, and Colorado weather is rough and unpredictable, especially in the winter. We can easily have temperature swings of 50-60 degrees within a 24 hour period. The polar vortex was unkind, and I was working nights in average temps of the teens most of the winter. When I look at FRCP, I always think it looks more "plasticy" and brittle than FRN. I know Sal and co have said they have extensively tested the strength and durability of the Manix LW, but I've never heard if that included temperatures. To this end I crafted my own experiment.

My freezer operates dependably between -4 and -5 degrees (Fahrenheit) and I figured this was sufficient for this test. I fully submerged my Manix in a plastic container and left it in there for a full 72 hrs. I then fully thawed it, left it at room temperature for a day, and re-froze it for another 3 days (to replicate a freeze-thaw cycle). Here's the knife in its frozen state.

Afterwards I aggressively oiled and cleaned it. Since you can't take these pinned knives apart I used an air compressor to blow out the water and then added more oil. Since then, I have had no issues with the knife. It is actually smoother and faster than it used to be (it came very stiff, I suspect this is the aggressive oiling it got more than anything).

I've closely examined the FRCP and have found no stresses, cracks or other damage to it. The only change I found is the laser engraving on the Spydie and the wording was stripped away (the darkening was removed, leaving the bare metal underneath). The knife still rides daily in my pocket now, no more the worse for wear.

Thanks for such a tough EDC Sal.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
MichaelScott

Re: Unscientific Testing - Freezing the Manix

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks for posting. I fully appreciate these types of reviews. Most "reviews" are worthless if you have already read the specifications and seen photos. Discussions on use, abuse, demonstrations of function and capabilities are what I like.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

I considered dunking my manix in various nasty solvents, but I don't know what I would do with a melted knife.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Very cool test. It would be interesting (and likely moderately destructive :o ) to see what would happen if you were to drop the block of ice (including knife) on a hard surface, such as concrete. :eek: :(
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

SpyderNut wrote:Very cool test. It would be interesting (and likely moderately destructive :o ) to see what would happen if you were to drop the block of ice (including knife) on a hard surface, such as concrete. :eek: :(
Very cool indeed! :cool: :rolleyes:

Next test: Fire!! :eek: :p
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
FDE

Post by FDE »

Should've put it in the microwave to thaw the ice! :D
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

What would be interesting would be to refreeze it, without water. Then immediately upon removing it from the freezer give it a few light raps and also cut something that would stress the handle. Then we would know if it would hold up in cold weather.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Didn't someone do some cold weather testing on an FRN model a while back? I want to say it was Jazz with one of his salts, left it out overnight and got it really cold and then beat on it until the FRN actually broke. But if I recall correctly it was COLD - at least for me in the southeast US; I remember thinking "I never have to worry about that - we don't get within 20 degrees Fahrenheit of that temperature."
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Found the thread - cold weather testing and knife breaking on page three.

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=44375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Just as a point of clarification, science is a way of knowing through observation and reliable methods of inference. If you say you are doing something intentionally in an unscientific way it means you are doing it with the specific intent to not know anything as a result.