Thanks Steve.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HarleyXJGuy

Thanks Steve.

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Had some work done to my Cruwear Millie. Natural Linen Micarta scales and got rid of the black spacer.

To say I am very pleased would be a understatement. Did not take long to get done also, a week maybe?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
spydieh0le

Re: Thanks Steve.

Post by spydieh0le »

Beautiful Millie you got there brother! My man Steve does some killer work! :D
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Congrat's Harley, that looks like another great job by Steve Ketchen. Hopefully RadioactiveSpyder will get a Ketchen thread up soon when he gets time. He's got some phenomenal Spydies that have been pimped by Steve. So when you get your knife back remember to take lots of pics to share :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Excellent!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Congrat's Harley, that looks like another great job by Steve Ketchen. Hopefully RadioactiveSpyder will get a Ketchen thread up soon when he gets time. He's got some phenomenal Spydies that have been pimped by Steve. So when you get your knife back remember to take lots of pics to share :)
I have indeed been meaning to do that thread, I just kept waiting for that next one he's doing for me to come in! He's doing two more for me now in fact ;)! But, since Harley started this thread already, this is a great venue to show off our Steve Ketchen mods, and we can use this thread to show off some of his amazing work. And I mean AMAZING, the quality of Steve's work is basically impeccable :)!

I'll grab shots of ones he's done more recently for me in the days/weeks to come, but start my show off with two desert ironwood beauties he did for me last year, the Domino and Dice:

Both these scales came from the same piece of stock material, as well as my Southard, which will be tomorrow's pic o' the day.

So, anyone else got Ketchenized knives to proudly show off?! I know a few of you do! And I know some of you may have been teased mercilessly into getting some of your own done after seeing some of my beauties I've posted! My own voyage into modding started after seeing Roman's ironwood Native 5 from Cuscadi. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

That will be my next Ketched Spyde, something without inset liners so wood will work. Manix 110V blade swap maybe.

RadioactiveSpyder

HarleyXJGuy wrote:That will be my next Ketched Spyde, something without inset liners so wood will work. Manix 110V blade swap maybe.
Hmm, blade swap you say?! ;)

Love your Millie! You went with a post at the lanyard hole, huh? It took me a sec to catch that :). Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

OK, here's my set of Ketchen pics for today. These are two of the most recent ones that Steve kindly made for me. These are both made from "Crazy Ctek", a material made by another craftsman named Travis Zumwalt (who makes some seriously cool scale materials!!). Steve outfitted both of these knives, a Southard and this is the most recent incarnation of the serrated G10 Native 5 :), with precise white G10 liners. I then asked my other great modding source, Casey Lynch in Washington State, to make me a brown anodized short version of his famous Featherlite clips. I think he really hit the nail on the head matching the color of Steve's scales. I hope you like these, they are stunners in person, the Ctek is a very complex visual material! :D

RadioactiveSpyder

And a few more...

Let's see some of your Ketchen mods folks! :)
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like the polished micarta, my first Spyderco had it.

HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:That will be my next Ketched Spyde, something without inset liners so wood will work. Manix 110V blade swap maybe.
Hmm, blade swap you say?! ;)

Love your Millie! You went with a post at the lanyard hole, huh? It took me a sec to catch that :). Cheers, Radioactive :)
Still not sure me and the Manix will get along or it would have already been done.

Had to look at the pictures to see what you were talking about with the Millies lanyard hole. Being in the Army you would think that is something I could use but never had an issue with just the pocket clip keeping my Spydies in place. Sigh, totally jinxed myself now lol.

RadioactiveSpyder

Today's Ketchen pics :): black small cell Ctek on a black Southard and a desert ironwood Sourhard scale cut from the same stock as the Domino and Dice scales above. They're intimately connected that way.

Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

R/S, your pics need to come with a "Parental Guidance", notice :D

Your Ctek knives are stunning, especially the black Southard. The Ctek on your Native and satin Southard remind me of tortoise shell, very classy. I bet if they were on sale in a shop window in London, Paris or Milan they would easily be priced close to $1000 each :)

Can't wait to see what is next :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Beautiful work on all those knives!!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

My gosh, that Crazy Ctek is wicked looking! :D Very classy stuff. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

SpyderNut wrote:My gosh, that Crazy Ctek is wicked looking! :D Very classy stuff. :)
Goes well with the black blade and hardware too.

RadioactiveSpyder

Thanks for the nice comments guys, Steve of course deserves all the credit. I was hoping to keep this thread going with other folks contributing their own pics, but I'll plod on alone I guess! ;) Many people don't frequent the Picture Gallery, so I thought his work deserves its own spot in General Discussion for maximum viewership :)

In a moment of weakness, I sold this next fantastic knife (and yes, I do now regret it! But it went to a good home). Besides needing dough for an unexpected plane trip, I justified selling this one because Steve himself designed it without any input from me and I just purchased it from him as the lucky first buyer. It's not one I commissioned but I did do two subsequent ones that did match (pics to come later on!).

These are the pics on my BF sale thread which is still publicly available, so really I'm just reposting my own pics, but again sadly, I don't own this beautiful knife anymore. Nuff said, here it is, polished black G10 and small cell blue Ctek with blue G10 liner and pinstripe. So so cool. It was too pretty to use! Hope you like the pics! Again, Steve's the man! Let's see your pics!

And of course, it's outfitted with a Casey Lynch clip. Casey's da man too!! Cheers, Radioactive :)

HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Dang you sold that?

Look forward to having another knife done up at some point. Just trying to decide which one mostly.

Wonder if maybe there are not many members here with Steves scales and that is why we are not seeing more pictures being posted?

NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Natural linen is one of my favorite handle materials and I wish it was used more. Great work by Steve!
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Mailman showed up the other day.