The pain of being a dedicated "user"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xinam

Re: The pain of being a dedicated "user"

Post by xinam »

I collect users as well. Then I bought a police 3 g-10 se. Far and away the best user of all my users.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Saturn 5 rocket. Moon lander. Supercollider. Antibiotic drugs. Integrated circuit.
I can use the rocket to propel a salt flat car, I could also put it on the moon lander and cruise around on it, I'm not even sure WTH a supercollider is so you may have won that round but I can shoot antibiotics with a sling shot at my neighbor's dog.

:D[/quote]

You do realize how large the Saturn V rocket is, right? It isn't just any old rocket.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yeah, that car would have to be about as big as the Chrysler Building. And, shooting antibiotics at a dog is not useful.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MichaelScott wrote:And, shooting antibiotics at a dog is not useful.

Ahh but here we are, back at the debate about what "use" truly is. There are some that might say owning a knife just to fondle and look at it isn't "useful".

;)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Bill1170 wrote:You do realize how large the Saturn V rocket is, right? It isn't just any old rocket.
Other uses: Turn it into a house; make all your friends jealous by putting it in a tree and having the coolest fort on the block (note: find excessively large tree); turn it into the world's largest bird-feeder; use it to pick up chicks ("You wanna come over to my place and see my rocket?"). There are myriad ways to use a rocket, of which I'm barely scraping the surface. Are they "good" uses? Not necessarily, but that's subjective.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Well, I guess as beauty is, this is also in the eye of the beholder. I like how you point out that even a "safe queen" can be considered a "user" knife if by user you mean useful to look at, feel, grip, and perhaps every once in a while cut with, while not using it as an edc.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I definitely would be considered more of a collector, but all of them see pocket time from time to time. The hardest justifications I have are for fixed blades, those just hardly get any real use because my opportunities to carry a fixedblade are few and far between. But I still have a Puukko, Bushcraft, Rock and my beloved Lum Tanto Paperstone.

As time as progressed I have focused more on my preferred style of knife, particularly with regards to my favorite EDC characteristics.

My top 3 in the rotation are a Millie g10/satin, Southard, and the Tuff. With a new job/career just starting last week I am looking forward to the Ti/Damascus Delica coming into the mix next week to be my wonderful office 'user'
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:My point in this thread was more to talk about knives you like but probably wouldn't buy because you wouldn't use them but it sorta spiraled lol.
Now I have bought stuff to flip or even put aside to trade for other stuff I've wanted>> because I knew many other folks loved that particular model of Spyderco knife>> The SPOT model being an example because I've had about 5 of them and never really kept any of them>> and I really never seen a practical use for one of those ancient/specialized Spyderco models.

I'm stuck now because a very good Brother provided me with a full Spyderedged JD Smith and I told him I would be using it>> but it's so beautiful I haven't yet been able to put scratches on it and It might be a while but I did have a previous SE version of the JD Smith that I used the **** out of and it is a great Spyderedged blade I can assure you.

And I do have my "Sunday Best" Spyders that I only use once or twice a year as a general rule>> the blue PE, VG-10 Spyderhawk and one of my SE Ayoob models being prime examples. But I do have many more users than I do "safe queens" at this stage of the game.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Another "use" I have for my collection (and one no one has really mentioned yet), is to share and eventually pass down to my son, who is already showing a keen interest in my Spydies. I like to keep my collection nice, so we'll both be able to enjoy them in 10 or 15 years, still in good condition. I'm keeping several blue colored models LNIB specifically for him.
:bug-red-white
Lost

Post by Lost »

gbelleh wrote:Another "use" I have for my collection (and one no one has really mentioned yet), is to share and eventually pass down to my son, who is already showing a keen interest in my Spydies. I like to keep my collection nice, so we'll both be able to enjoy them in 10 or 15 years, still in good condition. I'm keeping several blue colored models LNIB specifically for him.
Some of my users have a twin stored away in the safe for this exact reason.