Favorite steel used in spyderco's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
All-R-Crazy

Favorite steel used in spyderco's

Post by All-R-Crazy »

The title says it all. I'm wondering what is your personal fav steel to use in a Spyderco knife. My fav steel I've used by spyderco has been vg10 on my delica but no matter how I like the steel I still carry my pm2's and mili's but the vg10 is the best for my edc and how I like to sharpen my knives so how about u
Lost

Re: Favorite steel used in spyderco's

Post by Lost »

Super Blue.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Another vote for VG10...although s30v (and s35vn by extension) is great also...

I love my m390 PM2 as it is really zen to touch up on the Sharpmaker and it takes a nice polish...I just haven't used it as much as the other 2, however.
Last edited by paladin on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

M4 so far. I don't have a knife with M4 at the moment though. That's not to say I'm not happy with VG10 and S30V.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Pretty much whatever. Design > steel.
PWork

Post by PWork »

I can only say good things about VG-10, and N690Co is no slouch either.
Paul
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Have to throw in my two cents and a vote for CPM-440V. Always loved it.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

zhyla wrote:Pretty much whatever. Design > steel.
I would agree with you because I like my pm2 more then my delica but I love just how vg10 sharpens and performs over all like in the caly 3.5 ( had g10 one but gave it to my dad cause he liked it) where I have other steels like super blue and xhp and s30v and s90v but vg10 is still my fav user steel for me even though I like my others
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

CTS-XHP love the edge and corrosion resistance. After that super-blue and K390 in no particular order. VG-10 has never done much for me.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

toss up between super blue and cruwear
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Holland

Post by Holland »

M4, superblue, and M390
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Holland wrote:M4, superblue, and M390
Exactly the same for me. I have not experienced a 'bad' steel on any Spyderco. I like S30V and S90V too.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

VG10, 204P, Super Blue and Cruwear are steels that I really enjoy but I am not a steel snob and enjoy S30V, XHP and most the others too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Superblue, Cruwear, CPM M4, 10V, and S110V. That's about as low a number as I can get. Even now I want to throw in others. I forgot O-1 and 52100 for instance. :)

joe
elena86

Post by elena86 »

For now, super blue and cruwear.CTS-XHP as stainless.Since I never owned one,I am looking forward for my first spydie in CPM-M4.I hope they will release a PM2 in M4.Hopefully, during my life time :)
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Gotta be honest, I don't care for VG-10 or 8Cr13MoV but every other steel works just fine for me. I love SB and XHP has been fantastic.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Superblue and M4, haven't been able to try Cruwear yet.

(and YESS! for a M4 PM2) ;)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

zhyla wrote:Pretty much whatever. Design > steel.
Thisthisthis. I'll add the caveat: as long as it's stainless.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

So far these are S110V for edge retention and VG10 for taking nice keen edge and holding it for a while.
S30V and S35Vn are OK.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

As far as I'm concerned Spyderco uses better blade steels than any other production knife company whose knives I've used. Here's a list of my favorites that I've used. S30V, XHP, ZDP-189, M4, super blue. I like ALL of these A LOT and if I knife I liked based on other features has any of these steels I'd want the knife. There are 3 things that are the most important to me about blade steel. Most important is how long it will stay sharp. If you use a knife a lot and/or for long periods of time this is absolutely the most important factor. Next is how sharp can I get it. This is somewhat important to me but not as important as edge retention because all of Spyderco's steels will get VERY sharp. Of course how sharp a knife can get will be determined mostly by the ability of the person doing the sharpening. Third is it's corrosion resistance. I consider this least important because if proper care is taken any blade steel can be kept corrosion free enough to do the job. But I would not buy a knife with a non-stainless blade steel I knew I'd be using on a boat in salt water. So I consider edge retention to be the most important feature of a blade steel.

My favorite blade steel on Spyderco knifes that I've used is CPM-M4. I'm choosing it out of the list because of what I did with my Bradley Folder a good while back. I was going to do some sort of testing between my Bradley and a few other knives but I don't remember what I was going to do. Whatever it was required I dull the blades to begin with. I was going to make a video of what I was doing. I had already dulled a couple of other knives when I got to the GB. They dulled just like I expected as I remember it but the GB amazed me so much more than the others I just made a video of it. I don't have the video of the other knives. I wish I did. Here is why out of the great blade steels Spyderco uses I selected M4 as my favorite.

https://youtu.be/auBEgSmKApc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't remember how to place the video here so you can just click it. Little help please???

Jack