EMP Proof Mechanical Only Devices?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

EMP Proof Mechanical Only Devices?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

With all the talk about electromagnetic pulse attack dangers what are ways that society can block or minimize these? Use shielded electronics or mechanical only devices with no electronic circuits?
Mk-211

Re: EMP Proof Mechanical Only Devices?

Post by Mk-211 »

Look up Faraday cage and how to make them. Should answer most of your questions.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

All what talk? I’ve never heard this mentioned as a real risk aside from nuclear war.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

One Second After
By John Matherson is a well researched fictional story which explores this possibility in chilling detail.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 1:34 pm
With all the talk about electromagnetic pulse attack dangers what are ways that society can block or minimize these? Use shielded electronics or mechanical only devices with no electronic circuits?

Hasn't really ever been a topic of discussion other than when talking about nuclear war.

And at that point it's not really going to matter all that much. ;)
SpyderEdgeForever

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 4:32 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 1:34 pm

Hasn't really ever been a topic of discussion other than when talking about nuclear war.

And at that point it's not really going to matter all that much. ;)
I guess when millions of rads are pumped into the biosystem the problem of fried electronics is minor.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I guess when millions of rads are pumped into the biosystem the problem of fried electronics is minor.
Excellent way of putting it IMO.

It's good to see you back BTW.
SpyderEdgeForever

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 2:26 pm
Excellent way of putting it IMO.

It's good to see you back BTW.
Thank you! That means alot to me. Great to see you, too.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Older vehicles without an electronic ignition and carburators should keep on working.
Also you can build a faraday cage to protect equipment during the EMP. A microwave has a build in faraday cage to contain the RF waves so that might keep a laptop and cellphones "safe".
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

EMP can be produced by electromagnetic bombs (E-bombs), so there is no need for a nuclear attack. A Faraday cage would protect everything until the blast is past (milliseconds). As Jim Malone said, a simple microwave would protect smaller things, such as a laptop, iPad, cellphone, car remotes, etc. I guess this is a good reason not to throw away an old microwave. Old cars from the 1960's and early 1970's should be a safer bet, but not certain.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

On the subject I was taught the only time we are in danger from the blast itself and it's actual physical effects is if you are close enough ( remember these are in space not close to the ground) to to the blast and near a metal fence line or power line or something similar. During that bad solar storm that knocked out communications ( Carrington Event) guys working the telegraph stations were zorched from the telegraph wires picking up current. On a smaller scale during bad electrical storms our fence line at the prison would pick up enough current to flash and arc and look scary but as far as I know no one was ever injured mostly because we vacated areas near the fence line during storms. I did get burned while up in a gun tower from lightning coming through a phone line ( old hard wire system that dated to the 1960's ). Unless you were at home or somewhere you saw the power shut off you probably would not even notice an EMP attack in real life.