Catcherman LC200N Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: Catcherman LC200N Sprint Run

Post by Mushroom »

In regards to broken integral clips -
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:18 pm
For what it’s worth, Spyderco still offers a repair service for their integral pocket clips.

I would expect that they will be getting warranty service requests from this Catcherman sprint.

More info - https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ent-clips/
Spyderco wrote: Broken molded (integral) clips can be removed entirely and replaced with metal clips for $20 (Plus a $5 return shipping fee). Integral clip replacement is a repair performed by our Warranty & Repair department. Our Warranty & Repair page includes information about where to send your knife.”
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:21 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:58 am
It must be great (for a folder) for food prep indeed, but where are its limits when it comes to general EDC / outdoor use?
When does the blade perhaps get too fragile or to "flexy"?
What are the more or less reasonable folder tasks a Catcherman should better NOT be pressed into performing those?

Bumping these questions, I'm curious also. Catcherman has 0.07" blade thickness ...that's not quite the blade thickness of the Chaparral (0.08") but in a long 4.6" blade. Seems comparable to several of Spyderco's kitchen knives:

Counter Puppy is 0.08",
Santoku is 0.07",
Small Utility Knife is 0.06".

I've not used knives this thin for outdoor use, so don't have any idea of what tasks you could or could not ask them to do. Is it reasonable to say you'd not want to subject a blade of this thinness to "hard outdoor use" (however that's defined)? Keeping in mind that LC200N is a tough steel, which Larrin rates it at 8.5/10 for toughness (but only 3/10 for edge retention).

Thanks for bumping my question!

As you know I am all for thin(ner) blade stock, especially after I learned that my Chap (blade) really can take a beating and even in "hard use" it would not need thicker blade stock.

But: The Catcherman really differs from the Chap in important areas (when it comes to "thin blade use").

- The Chap has a really short blade with not a ton of tapering going on, the Catcherman on the other hand has a really long blade (no idea about the tapering)
- The Chap has a pretty tall blade in relation to its (short) length, the Catcherman has a really "narrow" blade
- And, most important imo: The Chap actually has a pretty stout tip (for how thin the blade is!) - for one, not too much tapering along the spine, and then the tip profile is not too acute when looking at it from the flat of the blade (broad leaf shape) - the Catcherman though has a really pointy tip

Also, whenever I imagine one of my dream Spydies, a Chap XL with everything the same, just elongated (so also the same thin blade) - my "guts" tell me it should be not longer than an Endela in order to still be strong enough.

So I am pretty sure the Catcherman will have its limitations and always be more of a "specialized" and not general outdoor folder. Though I am sure at the heel of the blade and the serrations there it still could some pretty brutal kind of work.

We´ll see... and/or try for ourselves soon (?), right? ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:36 pm
Also, whenever I imagine one of my dream Spydies, a Chap XL with everything the same, just elongated (so also the same thin blade) - my "guts" tell me it should be not longer than an Endela in order to still be strong enough.
Sorry for the thread detour, but this has me curious. Wouldn't a Chap XL be similar to a Sage, though perhaps not the 5/comp lock as in this comparison? Or, is it just the blade is too much thicker on the Sage? What is your vision for a Chap XL?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

TimButterfield wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:05 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sorry for the thread detour, but this has me curious. Wouldn't a Chap XL be similar to a Sage, though perhaps not the 5/comp lock as in this comparison? Or, is it just the blade is too much thicker on the Sage? What is your vision for a Chap XL?
The Chaparral was designed to be the smaller Sage. The Sage literally is the Chaparral XL. ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TimButterfield wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
TimButterfield wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
The Chaparral was designed to be the smaller Sage. The Sage literally is the Chaparral XL. ;)
Tim, you can read about my "vision" here for example viewtopic.php?t=85342#p1377379

If one takes the profile when looking at opened folders from the side and so only "similar overall shape from that particular angle" as the only defining feature, the Sage could be called a Chap XL indeed.

For folks who really used the Chap though calling the Sage a Chap XL would mean ignoring pretty much all of the defining and unique Chaparral features.

- The Chap has a 2mm ffg blade (I think no other Spydie offers that), the Sage adds 50 % thickness in the blade and has 3mm, like many other Spydies
- The Chap has a completely blade play free backlock with internal stop pin, the Sage not (the closest is the front lock in the Sage 4)
- The Chap (FRN at least) is extremely thin in carry, but still has that bomb proof built with steel liners, steel back spacer, steel lockbar. The Sage has a pretty regular handle thickness as far as I know

Also, the Sage has only Delica size, I imagine a Chap XL in about Endela size though: As said, everything the same - thickness (=thinness) and height of blade and handle, just LONGER.
I am of the opinion that thin stock shows its virtues actually MORE in longer blades which are often better at slicing certain stuff.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Thanks for explaining. I think, maybe, I understand what you're looking for. I like the thinness of the Chap, but am not sure I would want something the size of the Endela to be as thin in the handle.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein, that’s not my opinion, Sal designed it that way. The Sage is the larger Chaparral.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:17 pm
...The Chap has a 2mm ffg blade (I think no other Spydie offers that)...

I was wondering the same the other day.

Catcherman = 0.07".
Chap = 0.08".
Delica LW & Bradley Air = 0.09".
Watu & Ikuchi & Salt 2 = 0.10".

Looks like the Catcherman will be the King of Thin, and the Chaparral is the Crown Prince.

With such a long blade on the Catch, will we be seeing snapped blades? If not, that would be an argument to make many other (sufficiently tough) blades thinner.

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:09 pm
Wartstein, that’s not my opinion, Sal designed it that way. The Sage is the larger Chaparral.

I think what Wartstein is advocating is an elongated Chap with blade that's still thin. Whereas the Sage has a rather conventional blade thickness of 0.13".
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:21 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:17 pm
...The Chap has a 2mm ffg blade (I think no other Spydie offers that)...

I was wondering the same the other day.

Catcherman = 0.07".
Chap = 0.08".
Delica LW & Bradley Air = 0.09".
Watu & Ikuchi & Salt 2 = 0.10".

Looks like the Catcherman will be the King of Thin, and the Chaparral is the Crown Prince.

With such a long blade on the Catch, will we be seeing snapped blades? If not, that would be an argument to make many other (sufficiently tough) blades thinner.

Mushroom wrote:

I think what Wartstein is advocating is an elongated Chap with blade that's still thin. Whereas the Sage has a rather conventional blade thickness of 0.13".
I understand exactly what he means. We’ve discussed it a few times in the past.

My initial response was to a question Tim Butterfield was asking. My second response to Wartstein was because I interpreted part his reply to mean the Chaparral wasn’t designed to be a smaller Sage.

None the less, I don’t mean to hijack the thread.

I am still excited for this Catcherman sprint and will definitely be getting at least one to use as a fishing knife!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think the Catcherman might be too specialized as a filet knife to be a do anything EDC, but we'll find out. I really like Wartstein's idea of a longer Chaparral, still thin, and not a Sage. It might get a bit heavy though.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:49 pm
I think the Catcherman might be too specialized as a filet knife to be a do anything EDC, but we'll find out. I really like Wartstein's idea of a longer Chaparral, still thin, and not a Sage. It might get a bit heavy though.

Hey Cabfrank, no, I think a Chap FRN of Endela size would come in at just 75 grams / 2.65 oz, but please see and reply here! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85342&start=40#p1765271, if you wish to do so (in order to not derail the Catcherman thread to much)
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:

Thanks for the info, Nick, for my reply please see here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85342&start=40#p1765273

(like you I don´t want to derail the Catcherman thread anymore)
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Anyone know a rough timeframe on this one?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The UK importer is “anticipating” 28 Feb….
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

What is the reasoning for putting the serrated section at the heel of the blade rather than toward the tip? And the reasoning for the relatively short amount of serrated section? Just curious. I don't fish so I actually don't know!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:30 pm
What is the reasoning for putting the serrated section at the heel of the blade rather than toward the tip? And the reasoning for the relatively short amount of serrated section? Just curious. I don't fish so I actually don't know!

I figure for cutting bone and tougher parts of the fish?
And for such hard cutting one would want to use the strongest and least flexing part of the blade, so right at the heel?

Not a fisherman either, so just a guess.

Actually in this presumably rather flexible blade I think I like the serrations being positioned where the edge begins, while in stiffer blades and combo edge it would be not necessarily a bad idea to have the "teeth" towards the tip.
GonzoRider

Post by GonzoRider »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:30 pm
I'm not sure either but I don't think I've ever seen a combo edge with serrations at the tip.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I've read that Spyderco made a reverse combo edge of the Police years ago but I've never seen an example of it. Some other mfgrs:

GonzoRider

Post by GonzoRider »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:00 pm
I've read that Spyderco made a reverse combo edge of the Police years ago but I've never seen an example of it.

Good find! I figured they probably exist but are very uncommon.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:00 pm

I own this exact knife and serrations in the front part of a combo edge actually work very well (though I much prefer the kind of serrations Spyderco does)