Knife Rotation Journal - OCT 2023

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BEER_IS_COOL

Knife Rotation Journal - OCT 2023

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

I wanted to start documenting my experiences with my knife rotations. Over the years I would rotate knives daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, or every few months. I'm going to select three knives from my collection and keep them in my rotation for the duration of a month. I'll document anything noteworthy here.

My rotation for OCT 2023 is:
1. Spyderco K390 Delica
2. Benchmade 20CV Bugout
3. Spyderco S30V Military 2

01.png

All three knives are hair shaving sharp. Yesterday I touched up the Delica on a 600 grit DMT Fine stone. The factory bevel was a mess, but now it is a little tighter. The Bugout and Military 2 are still on their factory edges.

All three knives have been stropped using a 3 micron, 1 micron, and 0.25 micron progression.

The Delica and Military 2 are stock. The Bugout was the Blade HQ Gray G-10 exclusive. I hated the color so I did a green rit dye job on it last year. It looked better, but ultimately I didn't enjoy the G-10 so I didn't carry it much. Recently I purchased blemished Archon anodized scales from AWT. I hate the knife significantly less now so I'll give it another shot.
Last edited by BEER_IS_COOL on Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeping minora

Re: Knife Rotation Journal - OCT 2023

Post by weeping minora »

I believe I got about 3-4 weeks use out of my factory edge Millie 2 (huge upside to having that edge length: lengthened edge life), and even then I just wanted to sharpen it, rather than really needed to. I honestly never run the factory edge, but I was too chuffed with the edge that came on the knife, that I just ran with it. 3 and 1 um strops held that edge in place the whole duration. I've sort of gotten past the "find something to cut just to cut" phase in my knife use, and just use my knife when I need it. I know what works for my day-to-day and I leave the "cut tests" to the MULES these days. Ergonomics and carryability are only considerations over the long haul of day-in day-out usage, IMO/IME.

Curious to hear your reports, however 3 knives seems like a strange carry to balance real differences over one month of carry (breaking down one week+/- use per knife?). I suppose if you are looking to fatigue the knives and not maintain them, that might be the point of having a 3 knife × month carry rotation?

Not peeing on your parade, I'd just need more time with perhaps two knives max in one month to calculate the real usefulness of a model, and/or differences between models.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
BEER_IS_COOL

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

weeping minora wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:11 am
I believe I got about 3-4 weeks use out of my factory edge Millie 2 (huge upside to having that edge length: lengthened edge life), and even then I just wanted to sharpen it, rather than really needed to. I honestly never run the factory edge, but I was too chuffed with the edge that came on the knife, that I just ran with it. 3 and 1 um strops held that edge in place the whole duration. I've sort of gotten past the "find something to cut just to cut" phase in my knife use, and just use my knife when I need it. I know what works for my day-to-day and I leave the "cut tests" to the MULES these days. Ergonomics and carryability are only considerations over the long haul of day-in day-out usage, IMO/IME.

Curious to hear your reports, however 3 knives seems like a strange carry to balance real differences over one month of carry (breaking down one week+/- use per knife?). I suppose if you are looking to fatigue the knives and not maintain them, that might be the point of having a 3 knife × month carry rotation?

Not peeing on your parade, I'd just need more time with perhaps two knives max in one month to calculate the real usefulness of a model, and/or differences between models.
You're spot on.

If the edge is good and the bevel isn't out of whack, then I tend to leave the factory edge alone. It is hard for me to run a factory edge if the bevel isn't consistent.

My first impressions on the Military 2 are very positive so far. I am not sure how much I'll carry the knife as I have an office job (busting out a Military 2 in the break room probably wouldn't go over well). The knife is not that carriable in that environment. However... the ergonomics I am very pleased with. I texted my buddy that I think the Military 2 might be my favorite between the PM2 and Para 3. This is still an initial impression and subject to change, but I wasn't expecting to enjoy it this much. I will be buying another Military 2 whenever there is a sprint or exclusive in a steel I want. Definitely autobuy territory for me. I'd gladly own duplicates of this knife.

What does your day to day cutting tasks look like?

You're right on 3 knives being too much. 2 is probably the sweet spot. I think the rotation theme will be 2 daily drivers and 1 bigger knife. If I didn't approach this it way then I would never use my bigger knives and end up carrying Para 3's and Native's for the entire year lol.

This entire journal is a work in progress and I am open to feedback. I really want to capture as much as possible. From overall impressions and experiences to even how knives complement each other in a rotation. I want it to be more than just focused on the edges.

This rotation is still in its early stages, but as of now I tend to gravitate towards the Delica for precision tasks, the Military 2 for breaking down cardboard, and then the Bugout for everything else. We'll see how this changes over time.

I've been cutting lemons with the Delica daily and then cleaning it with a paper towel. I am somewhat tempted to do this all of OCT to see if it'll patina or rust. Historically I have kept tool steels away from anything wet.

I hope you enjoy the ride!
BEER_IS_COOL

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

This is one of those "how did you not know that?" posts.

Anyhow, I break down all of my cardboard. All of it.

Normally I don't use larger knives. So I was breaking down some cardboard and naturally tried to stack it. Turns out, you can stack 4 pieces of cardboard and the Military 2 handles it like a champ. Then I tried to do this with the Delica and Bugout... they were able to perform the task, but not to the same performance as the Military 2. Of course this reminded me of why I never try stacking cardboard... because whenever I do the knives I typically use can't accommodate the task. So I end up doing it the slower and longer way.

This variance probably has to do with the longer blade length and the longer handle. You get more leverage so the Military 2 is just better equipped to handle the task.

Essentially, the Military 2 opens up the playbook of what I can do with a mundane daily task.

2023-09-27 17_05_30-Window.png
2023-09-27 17_04_09-Window.png
BEER_IS_COOL

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

Week 2 update!

I purchased a Lynch Northwest Stubby clip with the Blacksmith finish. It completely transformed the knife for me. In my opinion it has improved the ergonomics and as a result The Bugout has become my go to knife in this rotation for light tasks. Granted... it took heavy modification for me to want to actually entertain carrying it. That's worth noting.

2023-10-07 10_27_12-Window.png

I did an edge check using printer paper. The Bugout and Delica were fine. The Military 2, however, did snag in a few spots. I did about 6 passes on a 0.25 micron strop and that helped clean up the edge. Considering how the Military 2 has become the dedicated cardboard knife in this rotation, I am happy with its performance. It's been putting in a lot of work.

2023-10-07 10_36_02-Window.png

I put the Delica under a microscope and you can see some rust forming. I am having SD card issues with my microscope so I can't capture pictures from it directly at the moment. I am not sure if it is an SD card problem or if the microscope is busted. I'll grab some microscope pictures in the future if I can work this out.

All in all, so far so good.
Last edited by BEER_IS_COOL on Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BEER_IS_COOL

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

This is what 3 weeks of cutting lemons daily looks like with a K390 Delica. I was able to clean most of it up by using a wire brush. FWIW the pivot area had more rust spots compared to the actual blade. Could have taken better care of it, but a simpler solution is to just avoid cutting wet things with tool steels.

I noticed the screws started to back out on the Delica. The screws in the Bugout and Military haven't budged.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I've done the rotation thing for a long time. I usually averaged 6 knives in my rotation and would carry each one for a work week. I decided that this was taking too long to get back to a knife that I had just carried so I changed to a 2-3 day rotation. This meant I would go all the way through 6 knives in 3 weeks. Then Covid, lockdowns and work from home hit. This disrupted my rotation. I still do a rotation but my days start running together and the rotation is less regular.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Keeping tool steel knives rust free isn't so bad as long as the pivot stays dry. If I cut up, say, an apple with my M4 Chief, I make sure nothing approaches the pivot. That way I don't need to rinse off that area and possibly need to oil it again.
BEER_IS_COOL wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:16 pm

Normally I don't use larger knives. So I was breaking down some cardboard and naturally tried to stack it. Turns out, you can stack 4 pieces of cardboard and the Military 2 handles it like a champ. Then I tried to do this with the Delica and Bugout... they were able to perform the task, but not to the same performance as the Military 2. Of course this reminded me of why I never try stacking cardboard... because whenever I do the knives I typically use can't accommodate the task. So I end up doing it the slower and longer way.

This variance probably has to do with the longer blade length and the longer handle. You get more leverage so the Military 2 is just better equipped to handle the task.

Essentially, the Military 2 opens up the playbook of what I can do with a mundane daily task.

Been using this same example for years in discussions of larger knives vs smaller. You can do things more efficiently with larger knives a lot of the time. I'd hate breaking down cardboard with a dragonfly or even delica and not being able to stack it 4-8 layers thick.
:unicorn
BEER_IS_COOL

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

bdblue wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:14 pm
I've done the rotation thing for a long time. I usually averaged 6 knives in my rotation and would carry each one for a work week. I decided that this was taking too long to get back to a knife that I had just carried so I changed to a 2-3 day rotation. This meant I would go all the way through 6 knives in 3 weeks. Then Covid, lockdowns and work from home hit. This disrupted my rotation. I still do a rotation but my days start running together and the rotation is less regular.
I hear ya. Any idea of the average duration of your current rotation? I am really digging this 3 knife 1 month configuration.
BEER_IS_COOL

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:42 am
Keeping tool steel knives rust free isn't so bad as long as the pivot stays dry. If I cut up, say, an apple with my M4 Chief, I make sure nothing approaches the pivot. That way I don't need to rinse off that area and possibly need to oil it again.
BEER_IS_COOL wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:16 pm

Been using this same example for years in discussions of larger knives vs smaller. You can do things more efficiently with larger knives a lot of the time. I'd hate breaking down cardboard with a dragonfly or even delica and not being able to stack it 4-8 layers thick.
Makes sense about your Chief. Stacking cardboard and having a tool that can handle it has been eye opening. I don't think I'll be able to go back. Like you pointed out, the efficiency is just too good.
BEER_IS_COOL

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

Week 4 update!

Nothing crazy to report. The Delica is starting to get more pocket time and its edge is fine. The Bugout is officially starting to snag and the Military 2 is snagging again as well. I regret stropping the Military 2 on Week 2. I think moving forward I am going to run the rotation for the entire month without sharpening or touching up UNLESS the edge is in an unusable state.

NOV 2023 is right around the corner. If there are any suggestions for knives/steels you'd like to see featured let me know! I'm looking for ideas.
BEER_IS_COOL

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

Week 5 update!

So this is the end of the OCT 2023 knife rotation. I really enjoyed the rotation configuration of 4-5 weeks and 3 knives. It was enough time to get a feel for them, but not long enough to resent them.

In terms of rankings, here is how this played out:

2023-10-28 16_43_43-KNIFE RANKINGS - Excel.png

The Bugout was the knife I naturally gravitated towards the most. As previously started, I had to swap the scales and clip in order to give the knife another chance. If this were stock it would likely have placed third. It's a good knife that I enjoyed using for a month. Simple as that.

The Military 2 was eye opening to me. It's a big knife that is easy to deploy and manipulate. I underestimated how much of a game changer larger blades are when it comes down to breaking down cardboard. I love it. It is definitely a model I will own duplicates of.

Then we had the Delica... I love the Delica and I think it is a great knife. I just think in this rotation it was overshadowed by a tricked out Bugout and the newest kid on the block (Military 2). The star of the show would be the K390 steel and I don't think I did enough cutting or ran the rotation long enough to see this knife shine.

All in all, I am very happy with OCT 2023. Looking forward to NOV 2023!
sal

Post by sal »

Interesting and fun project.

sal