Yojumbo as EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Yojumbo as EDC

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Does anyone here EDC the yojumbo? Is it a decent carry blade? Any pitfalls to carrying a blade in that style? (laws aside)
Wartstein

Re: Yojumbo as EDC

Post by Wartstein »

You might want to check out this viewtopic.php?t=90653#p1556173 detailed impressions by Vivi.
Lots of info and pics there
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I think it is an excellent EDC. I do not EDC one, never purchased one, but it was designed by Michael Janich for self defense. I carry other 4 inch blades, Native Chief...

The only law that may come into play is blade length.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:44 pm
Does anyone here EDC the yojumbo? Is it a decent carry blade? Any pitfalls to carrying a blade in that style? (laws aside)
I do at times. Be careful with the tip. I broke mine off with typical use.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Rinzler wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:41 am
Yeah, I've been reading a lot about that. I'm looking for a solid large folder for edc and I think I might just stick with my native chief on rotation with a manix 2 xl
James Y

Post by James Y »

Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:44 am
Rinzler wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:41 am
Yeah, I've been reading a lot about that. I'm looking for a solid large folder for edc and I think I might just stick with my native chief on rotation with a manix 2 xl

I don't have a Yojumbo, but I do have a Native Chief. I would imagine that the Chief's fine tip is just as delicate as the Yojumbo's.

Jim
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:21 am

I don't have a Yojumbo, but I do have a Native Chief. I would imagine that the Chief's fine tip is just as delicate as the Yojumbo's.

Jim
S90V yojumbo on the left, Rex 45 Chief on the right:

OP: If you want a "solid" large folder, you should definitely look into the Amalgam.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
ajl808

Post by ajl808 »

For me, edc entails using the blade in an office setting to cut open the occasional; box, plastic strap and an envelope or two.

The aggressive texture of my Yojumbo’s scales are perfect for tactical/self defense use. The same texture is not very friendly on the pockets of a pair of slacks. I’ve been scouring the net for replacement smooth textured scales.

That being said, I still edc the Yojumbo regularly because is such a well designed knife, and just plain fun to carry.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

If you are concerned about the tip you can mod it to a more obtuse angle with little fuss.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

My favorite big knife as of late has been my Resilience LW combo edge.
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I regularly carried a Yojumbo as my EDC & work knife for a few months right around the time it became available. In terms of utility, the only drawback was it was more awkward to use in cramped conditions than the Yojimbo 2 (my job at the time occasionally necessitated working in confined spaces). Outside of that one thing, nothing in particular stood out to me as a real "pitfall"—it's a solid choice for a cutting tool to carry on your person & the hollow grind makes it a joy to use when slicing cardboard & closed-cell foam.

Still, I ended up reverting to carrying the Yojimbo 2 after the novelty of dailying a folder as big as the Yojumbo wore off. What I found was that, at least in my case, there wasn't really anything I needed to do with a folder on a daily basis that the smaller & lighter Yojimbo 2 couldn't do just as well or even better than the Yojumbo. The Yojumbo is fun to carry & use, but it takes up a lot of pocket real estate, being as long and as wide as it is.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I have one but I don't EDC it. I agree with the above comment also about the Yo2 being equal or better for my uses. Plus deploying a blade that large could raise more eyebrows than I want to in the types of places I'm at. That's just me though. It's a really great knife which I'll enjoy and never sell, but just not my preferred EDC day to day. Agree with the other comment above about the G10 texture as well- it's impressively grippy- not an issue for me. It carries surprisingly well in pocket also. Would be a great EDC for the right person.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

YMMV but if you need this knife for its intended purpose you wont be thinking about the tip. Look at the civilian and how “Delicate” that tip is. This is a niche knife and I think its only flaw is that it’s so tacticool that it has broader appeal than it’s intended use. It is easily modified, carries well and is a great fidget tool. I am glad Spyderco made this for us larger handed enthusiasts.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Giygas wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:00 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:21 am

Jim
S90V yojumbo on the left, Rex 45 Chief on the right:

[img]...

OP: If you want a "solid" large folder, you should definitely look into the Amalgam.

Whoa, that's a really fine tip on the Yo ... I had a Chief for a short while and was actually worried a bit about THAT ones tip already...

But I guess on the flip side the Yo - tip must be really useful in many typical knife tasks and - no surprise- perfect for Mr. Janichs system of knife sd.

The perfect blend of acuteness and robustness in my book has the ffg Endura - (and also the Goddard- ) tip.
Actually rather fine when looking at it at the spine, but not too acute (due to the drop on the Endura tip resp. belly on the Goddard) when looking at the flat of the blade.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I carry one at work fairly regularly and rate it very highly, but I use it for grafting trees and making feather sticks mainly. I very rarely use it for opening things or other traditionally typical life EDC stuff. YMMV 🤷🏼‍♂️
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I don't see any problem with carrying the yojumbo. The only drawback is the fact that you almost need a second smaller blade to cut anything in public.
For it's intended it works very well
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

The "delicate" tip is the defining feature and the reason you buy this design.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I own a DLC S30V run and its great. Fits my hand better than the yojimbo and I find the longer blade more useful.

To me its a normal sized knife. If you look at my comparison photos wartstein kindly linked to its not really any longer than an Endura, just wider.

I have no issues with it as an EDC, whether it be the size, the tip thickness, or the performance of an SD focused design being used strictly for utility work.

Folded up its actually shorter than your Military folder.
Jim Malone wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:21 am
I don't see any problem with carrying the yojumbo. The only drawback is the fact that you almost need a second smaller blade to cut anything in public.
For it's intended it works very well
depends on where you live. I carry mine to work sometimes and never think twice about using it.
:unicorn