Alert Threads

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Alert Threads

Post by vivi »

I find it strange how often people try to police the behavior of others when it comes to alert threads.

Spyderco staff don't care. They've never enforced it as a rule.

All the posts asking for alerts only are hypocritical, because those posts aren't alerts.

It's just an odd thing that goes on here in an otherwise pleasantly civil forum.

I had to laugh when I saw Mr. Janich's post in the latest one.

I think it'd be easier for the alert hall monitors to not try to dictate an extra set of rules. If you want to check the thread check the thread. If you sign up for email notifications then you bring on the consequences yourself.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Re: Alert Threads

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's more of a respect, common courtesy type of thing. Particularly the 15V Manix thread that Beau created. Considering that guy puts in A TON OF WORK on all the alerts and drops and has probably helped hundreds of people here over the past few years get knives in their hands that they desire.

You'd like to think when you see an alerts thread, that it would be filled with dealers that have something in stock, or updated to out of stock. Not 12 people saying they had it in their cart and couldn't order it or they didn't get shipping notification that day, etc. Move that along to the other thread for discussion.

It's really not difficult to follow the guidelines (though not strictly enforced) but it's definitely irritating when there's clearly 2 different threads going on. You don't see people posting strictly other brand knives in the "what Spyderco is your your pocket today" thread....why should this be any different?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

This may sound dumb of me, but what are alert threads? People posting threads complaining about other people's posts?

Personally, I've never reported or complained about any person or any posts, even in the very rare occurrence of a jerk, or the once-in-a-blue-moon troll. If I really had an issue with something anyone posted, I would take it up with the person directly, rather than "tattling" on someone.

Jim
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I like to compare this to “The Shopping Cart Paradox.” :hand-over-mouth
https://www.delish.com/uk/food-news/a36888103/shopping-trolley-theory/ wrote:“ The theory, which first appeared on Reddit and Twitter, explains that if you're the type of person who just ditches their shopping trolley once they're done with it, that makes you a bad person. But if you put it back where it's supposed to go – simply put – that means you're a good person”

Except, it’s the “Internet Forum Paradox.”

There is the type of person that reads the title of the thread on a public forum and then intentionally posts in opposition of what is being asked and then there’s the type of person that has enough self control to follow a simple guideline request?

The hypocrisy of needing to ask others not to hijack certain threads is an unfortunate and ironic result.

That was mostly satire and I can understand where both sides are coming from when it comes to alert threads specifically though. I see how it can be an inconvenience to those who subscribe and are hoping to be notified about an actual product in stock. I can also see why it would seem appropriate to comment on the relevant product in that thread as well, even if it’s not an in stock notification.

Ultimately I don’t see it as that big of a deal either but I understand how it can be an inconvenience.
- Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I find it strange how often people try to police the behavior of others by posting threads meant to belittle or ridicule others. But you do you. The scorpion cannot help but be a scorpion.

People subscribe to alert threads which sends an email to them for every new post. Needless chatter makes that useless. But of course "Muh rights!!!111!!!"
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

James Y wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:31 pm
This may sound dumb of me, but what are alert threads? People posting threads complaining about other people's posts?

Personally, I've never reported or complained about any person or any posts, even in the very rare occurrence of a jerk, or the once-in-a-blue-moon troll. If I really had an issue with something anyone posted, I would take it up with the person directly, rather than "tattling" on someone.

Jim
People make threads to post alerts for when a new model drops.

Then they tell people they aren't allowed to post discussions in their discussion board thread they made on someone elses forums.

Then they don't even follow their own rules.

Then they get mad when other people don't follow the rules they don't follow.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:56 pm
I find it strange how often people try to police the behavior of others by posting threads meant to belittle or ridicule others. But you do you. The scorpion cannot help but be a scorpion.

People subscribe to alert threads which sends an email to them for every new post. Needless chatter makes that useless. But of course "Muh rights!!!111!!!"
How am I attempting to police behaviour?

This is a thread pointing out how I find it childish when other people attempt to police behavior. That's what the alert threads are. People trying to make up their own rules on someone elses forum.

I've never told people not to do that, or tried to stop them. I've just commented that you can't expect a forum with thousands of posters to adhere to your personal made up rule set, when the staff themselves don't adhere to those same rules.
vivi

Post by vivi »

At the end of the day this is a discussion forum.

I think coming on to someone elses forum and telling other members to not have discussions is strange.

You can sign up for email alerts from vendors.

This is a discussion forum. Trying to stifle discussions goes against the very purpose of this website.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

With a knife like this one that seems like it's going to sell out in minutes no matter how many a dealer has in stock...when someone gets alerted about the alert thread, the last thing they want is to waste 30 seconds that could honestly make or break you getting the knife, because you're stuck scrolling through discussion posts to find the link for the dealer that has them in stock. Particularly at this point with this situation, it's been made quite clear there are two threads going on. Discussion in the alerts thread is kind of sabotaging a members chances at getting the knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I basically depend solely on notifications from dealers I do business with and if I miss the boat getting something at the end of the day I will live . I felt this morning things were getting a little stretched. I get it it’s a very desirable knife for many . Personally I have moved on. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:12 pm
With a knife like this one that seems like it's going to sell out in minutes no matter how many a dealer has in stock...when someone gets alerted about the alert thread, the last thing they want is to waste 30 seconds that could honestly make or break you getting the knife, because you're stuck scrolling through discussion posts to find the link for the dealer that has them in stock. Particularly at this point with this situation, it's been made quite clear there are two threads going on. Discussion in the alerts thread is kind of sabotaging a members chances at getting the knife.
The forum is only one of many places to get alerts of knife releases. You can also sign up for notifications from dealers.

Furthermore these user made up rules have never been enforced by the people running this forum.

I looked at that alerts thread. Everyone posting there is discussing things instead of letting it be alerts.

From where I stand it looks like ya'll have three choices:

1. Accept you don't set the rules here.

2. Keep getting mad that people won't follow made up rules

3. Setup your own alert system.

2 is what's being chosen when it's the least sensible option.

Spyderco doesn't allow buying, selling, and trading so I setup a spot where that could happen. Setting up an alert script wouldn't be much more difficult and you could remove the possibility of discussions if you control the system.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wow! The irony here is mind blowing. This thread is simply just not productive and would be better off closed.

Here you are whining about people, whining about made up rules… then you have the audacity to list off three of your own made up rules! :exploding-head If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em!

Making a thread about this in the first place was petty nonsense.

Alert threads were never about trying to make up rules, as they were about simply asking others to be just a little bit courteous. It’s really not that difficult to be courteous after all. No one is trying to stop any discussion from happening.

Also, these “user made up rules” that you’re so against, actually ARE enforced by the people running this forum. All we have to do is look to the crazy deals thread for confirmation of that and before you try to tell me that’s a different situation, no, it’s not.

Lastly, you setup a b/s/t thread on Reddit. :yawn Let’s quit the act like you pulled off some technological marvel. For most people setting up an alert script is way beyond common technological ability, it’s almost ignorant to suggest that as an alternative.

I’ll just end my post by saying, this whole petty thread should be shutdown for trolling.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:11 pm
Wow! The irony here is mind blowing. This thread is simply just not productive and would be better off closed.

Here you are whining about people, whining about made up rules… then you have the audacity to list off three of your own made up rules! :exploding-head If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em!

Making a thread about this in the first place was petty nonsense.

Alert threads were never about trying to make up rules, as they were about simply asking others to be just a little bit courteous. It’s really not that difficult to be courteous after all. No one is trying to stop any discussion from happening.

Also, these “user made up rules” that you’re so against, actually ARE enforced by the people running this forum. All we have to do is look to the crazy deals thread for confirmation of that and before you try to tell me that’s a different situation, no, it’s not.

Lastly, you setup a b/s/t thread on Reddit. :yawn Let’s quit the act like you pulled off some technological marvel. For most people setting up an alert script is way beyond common technological ability, it’s almost ignorant to suggest that as an alternative.

I’ll just end my post by saying, this whole petty thread should be shutdown for trolling.
Can you quote a single time I've tried to establish my own rules on this forum? I can't.

Either way that's quite a reply to someone that had the courtesy to not only take this discussion to a different thread, but an entire different forum.

I could have posted a more concise version of this OP to the alerts threads for the 15V Manix but I did not, out of as you say, courtesy.

Lastly, in regards to the spydieswap, I have manually vetted every member of that subreddit, setup that subreddit, argued with admins that shut it down for a day for BS reasons, etc. It takes more work that you seem to think. And I'd be willing to help code an alert program for Spyderco drops.
Last edited by vivi on Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

No… I don’t feel like contributing any further to this nonsense you started here. It’s not hard to find though, you literally listed them by number.

Last edited by Mushroom on Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:37 pm
No… I don’t feel like contributing any further to this nonsense you started here. It’s not hard to find though, you literally listed them by number.
Hah, I knew that list is what you were referring to. I said, "As I see it, you folks have three possible courses of action."

That is a far, far cry from trying to force my own personal rules on others. Quite a substantial point you have here, lol.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Yeah about as substantial as this whole thread… you should be proud of this one!

We should all aspire to be as awesome as vivi thinks he is one day!
Last edited by Mushroom on Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:37 pm
No… I don’t feel like contributing any further to this nonsense you started here.
5 minutes pass
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:42 pm
Yeah about as substantial as this thread… we should all aspire to be as awesome as vivi thinks he is one day!

:rofl :rofl :rofl
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

This is exactly the type of pettiness I’d expect from someone who made THIS thread.
vivi

Post by vivi »

but coming in here and insulting me for expressing my views and going back on your own word twice in 7 minutes is being a stand up character?

Alrighty then Mr. Funguy. :rofl
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Can someone please alert me when the Manix 2 CPM-15V drops?