double stuff 2 is pretty awesome

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

double stuff 2 is pretty awesome

Post by sethwm »

Used my double stuff 2 on my serrated dragonfly salt. It shaves hair now. Never gotten serrated that sharp before.

Before this, I'd been whittling for the better part of a day, then tried to sharpen it with a flat rock I found in the woods to see what would happen... it was pretty dull when I took it to the double stuff.

I love the feel of the fine ceramic.
Wartstein

Re: double stuff 2 is pretty awesome

Post by Wartstein »

Cool!

Have been thinking about getting a Double Stuff 2 since I learned that Sal (also) specifically had touching up serrations in mind when (re-)designing it... seems like I should really get one... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I like that one side is the CBN, which will thin out the serrations as is all the rage, then white to keep them sharp. I don't think you actually need/want the medium stone for serrations.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:32 pm
I like that one side is the CBN, which will thin out the serrations as is all the rage, then white to keep them sharp. I don't think you actually need/want the medium stone for serrations.

Good point!

Since serrations really don´t call for a "coarse edge" (cause in a way they ARE that coarse edge themselves already), I think it is much like you say: Either real reprofiling / thinning, or on the other hand "just" touching them up.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

How would the Double Stuff 2 do with K390 or a similar steel? I assume the CBN side would work just fine. How about the ceramic? I've read where people say things that non-diamond (or CBN) is not a good choice for steels like this because they burnish rather than remove steel. I believe that burnishing fatigues steel. First of all, are my assumptions true? Could the ceramic side be a "strop" to remove the burr from the CBN side? I'm sure I'm getting this stuff confused.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:10 am
How would the Double Stuff 2 do with K390 or a similar steel? I assume the CBN side would work just fine. How about the ceramic? I've read where people say things that non-diamond (or CBN) is not a good choice for steels like this because they burnish rather than remove steel. I believe that burnishing fatigues steel. First of all, are my assumptions true? Could the ceramic side be a "strop" to remove the burr from the CBN side? I'm sure I'm getting this stuff confused.
My understanding is it is a Vanadium Carbide issue. Where a softer abrasive may round down vs cut down due to the hardness of Vanadium. I don't think it would ruin it. Just doesn't cut it or at least cut it very well at all.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Yup, I picked up one recently too. It's the perfect size for touch-ups by hand, and I love the soft leather sheath it comes with.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I keep my cbn doublestuff in my car most times. Last weekend, when visiting my daughter, she asked me to sharpen her kitchen knives. Newlyweds and all that, cheap knives and all I had was my doublestuff2. Cbn side took care of the beat up ends, then white side to clean up the rest.

No plans for hair shaving sharpness so the edges were left alone at roughly cutting through copy paper. The cbn side is just now starting to break in and makes easy work at removing metal. Happy I bought one!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
vivi

Post by vivi »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:10 am
spyderco ceramics will sharpen k390.
:unicorn
dlum1

Post by dlum1 »

I've been meaning to pick one of these up. I'll likely grab one in the next few weeks -- specifically for its ability to sharpen serrations.

Regarding ceramics: Like Vivi said, yes, they will sharpen k390. I've also used them to sharpen k390. However, there is a website (the science of sharp... or something there abouts) with some interesting photos of what happens when you sharpen a steel containing carbides harder than the ceramic. Because the steel matrix is softer than the ceramic, it is readily cut, but the carbides will begin to protrude above the steel surface -- similar to how seashells litter the surface of the beach as the waves slowly eat away at the shore. The carbides will eventually come out once enough steel is removed. As I understand it, the edge will not be as stable (on the microscopic level) as one in which both the steel matrix and carbides were cut. I'm not yet convinced of this last statement (primary because k390 cuts for so long no matter how I sharpen it). Heavy users may notice. But for me, it's the difference between infinity and infinity + 1.

My definition of 'steel matrix' is the metal holding the carbides in place. This may not be the correct definition, so please excuse my phrasing if this is incorrect.
sal

Post by sal »

Sounds like the carbides have become serrations?

The science of Sharp is a very informative site. Smart man.

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

What an excellent source! Thank you for bringing it to my attention!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Any idea how I could cut one of these? Being steel and ceramic, not even sure what I could use. I wanna cut the ends off at 30 degree angles so I can stand them up on a flat surface and use them like a Goldenstone.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dlum1

Post by dlum1 »

sal wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:46 pm
Sounds like the carbides have become serrations?

The science of Sharp is a very informative site. Smart man.

sal
I'd agree with that assessment. And it nicely explains why high carbide steels cut so aggressively.

While I think the ds2 is probably ideal for field sharpening something like k390, I intend to use it with my serrated salts. When I go camping, I carry a Lansky pocket sharpener (basically a spyderco medium rod that has been sectioned and end capped). I haven't had great results with it sharpening serrated h1. H1 will get quite sharp, but I somehow dull it quickly. After reading these forums, I discovered that using CBN + fine sharpening rod on both H1 and LC200N tends to result in a more robust (and toothy) plain edge (at least in the kitchen). I believe the edge rolls just as much as before, but it's far more aggressive and keeps going. I was a little underwhelmed with pe lc200n until I started sharpening in this manner. Based in those results, I think the ds2 will also be perfect for both pe and se salts.

If spyderco ever makes the triangle CBN in a pocket sharpener format (similar to the lansky), I'll buy those too and keep one in my portable tool kit! The ds2 is a great design. However, the weight makes me a bit less likely to bring it milti-night backpacking or day hiking. That being said, I'm clearly and outlier regarding what one would consider too heavy to carry while hiking.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I have been considering the double stuff 2 for a while (have the original version). What I would prefer though would be to have gray (600 grit) ceramic side instead of the while. The gray may sound too close to the CBN grit (400), but the resulting edge looks a behaves a lot different and would make a great burr removal for those coarse edges. I have just lately used the gray side of the double stuff on my BD1N UKPK to remove the burr that I raised on a 400 grit diamond water stone which was very quick to make a fresh edge, but I was having hard time to remove the burr. (water stone is a lot more aggressive will always leave a lot coarser edge than a hard ceramic of the same grit) Worked like a charm.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:21 am
Any idea how I could cut one of these? Being steel and ceramic, not even sure what I could use. I wanna cut the ends off at 30 degree angles so I can stand them up on a flat surface and use them like a Goldenstone.
I think it would be easier to cut a 30 deg slot in a small piece of hardwood. Then you have a handy portable sharpening base and don't have to have your fingers on the stone...

Or if you are tech savy you could 3d print one. But I like wood for these kind of applications. Easily replaceable.

Just a thought.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bobnikon wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:22 am
Evil D wrote:
I think it would be easier to cut a 30 deg slot in a small piece of hardwood. Then you have a handy portable sharpening base and don't have to have your fingers on the stone...

Or if you are tech savy you could 3d print one. But I like wood for these kind of applications. Easily replaceable.

Just a thought.

Not a bad idea but it's one more piece to carry around. I'll probably just wait for the Webfoot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:42 am
bobnikon wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:22 am
Evil D wrote:

Just a thought.

Not a bad idea but it's one more piece to carry around. I'll probably just wait for the Webfoot.
Fair enough.
If you have carpentry skills a pretty simple box could be made to hold it with the slots cut in to hold on a 30 deg angle.

Same could be done with the 3d printed version, and it would be lighter and smaller.

Then it would only be one piece and be protected...

Now I am going to have to hit the garage this weekend... Lol.
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I absolutely LOVE my Double Stuff 2. I own multiple of the normal ceramic Double Stuffs and they work quite well also but the CBN side of that DS2 really makes quick work of getting a dull knife back to cutting. Plus for very hard steels like Maxamet or ZDP it will cut quickly and I can then polish it on the white fine side.

I look forward to the Webfoots return! I have a Golden Stone I use all the time for touch ups and the CBN in that shape will be amazing.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031