Stretch XL in SE or PE ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Stretch XL in SE or PE ?

Post by elena86 »

I decided to purchase the Stretch XL but I can’t decide. I am tempted to get the SE being a spyderedge fanatic but those small and kinda rounded serrations are not quite my cup of tea. I like my teeth to be as pointy and aggressive as possible. Some pictures would be very appreciated.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
RevMike

Re: Stretch XL in SE or PE ?

Post by RevMike »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:01 am
I decided to purchase the Stretch XL but I can’t decide. I am tempted to get the SE being a spyderedge fanatic but those small and kinda rounded serrations are not quite my cup of tea. I like my teeth to be as pointy and aggressive as possible. Some pictures would be very appreciated.
There is also a part serrated model and when I finally cave in and buy my XL that is the way I'm going to.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
z1r

Post by z1r »

I really like my PE XL. For a large SE, I still like my Pac Salt. If you like SE, I don't know how you wouldn't like the XL.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'd kind of like a k390 pe and se salt.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

`
It has the shallower serrations, and it's crazy, crazy sharp. I had the PE and gifted it, not because I didn't like it, but because someone needed a knife and chose that one. I ordered the SE to try it, too, and it just arrived yesterday. I'm mostly just waiting for the Salt to drop, knowing it will become one of my favorite knives. But this one is pretty awesome as it is. Better build quality than my example of the PE, but that's just luck of the draw. Definitely recommended!

Last edited by Coastal on Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:

Been away for several days in the mountains, just came back and found a pick up notification from the post office for a Stretch 2 XL SE... (actually a very generous gift, will do a post about this as soon as I find time). :smiling-cheeks :smiling-cheeks
Have the knife in hand now, no time for more than a few cuts right now, but I can say already: The serrations are PERFECT! Or at least what I and obviously not to few others find perfect: Shallow, non aggressive, not snaggy and pointy at all!

So... actually NOT what you are looking for, though I don´t know WHY you´d want serrations "pointy and aggressive" (honest question, out of interest! )?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Coastal, that blade looks fantastic.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I almost want the SE version just to try the shallow teeth. Too bad I already have a Police in SE that covers this ground and more.

I guess I vote SE so Marius can try the different serrations side by side.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Go with SE, you won't be disappointed.
vivi

Post by vivi »

if I were buying one now that all edge types are available, I'd go with CE.

I really like CE in longer blades. Works well for me on my Resilience, and I'm hoping they run the Military 2 in CE.
:unicorn
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I noticed that a few forumites mentioned a salt variant. Did I miss anything ?!
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dsvirsky wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:38 pm
Go with SE, you won't be disappointed.

Yeah, he would not be disappointed AT ALL if he liked the "shallow / non aggressive" type of serrations many (including myself) obviously prefer.
But he explicitly said he´d be looking for the complete opposite - quote: "as pointy and aggressive as possible" - and this is exactly what the Stretch 2 XL SE does not offer (luckily in my book, but I am certain Marius has his good reasons why he on the contrary prefers the "aggressive" serration type).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
... Some pictures would be very appreciated.

Here you go, these are all SE (or partly SE) Spydies I have at hand right now.

From top to bottom:

Endela SE, Stretch 2 XL SE, Pac Salt SE, Salt 2 SE, Endura CE, Delica CE.
The Endela SE (top most knife) has for me the best serrations I personally have tried so far - so NON aggressive and NOT pointy.
You can see the that Stretch 2 XL SE (below the Endela) might be even "better" (for me) than the Endela

And here is a closer up comparison of Stretch 2 XL SE (never sharpened, has done just 15 or 20 cuts at all so far) to the Pac Salt 1 SE (quite some use and sharpenings)

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:38 pm
if I were buying one now that all edge types are available, I'd go with CE.

I really like CE in longer blades. Works well for me on my Resilience, and I'm hoping they run the Military 2 in CE.

I figure you´d really like it!

As far as I can tell yet, the serrations on the Stretch 2 XL come closer to your very coarse PE Vivi edges (if this is possible at all) than most other SE Spydies. So just a very "pe-ish SE with still the advantages of SE" as I see it (offers that for me"better PE" feel, rather than an aggressive "PE feel")
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I really want the SE now that I see the pictures.
It looks delicious.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Thanks for the pics Coastal and Warty and thanks for the advice dsvirsky.Thanks to everyone. Those sealed the deal for me. I shall go with the SE.
Last edited by elena86 on Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:39 am
Thanks for the pics Coastal and Warty. Those sealed the deal for me. I shall go with the SE.

So THIS " I like my teeth to be as pointy and aggressive as possible" was just kidding and I fell for it? :thinking :grin-sweat
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:45 am
elena86 wrote:
Thanks for the pics Coastal and Warty. Those sealed the deal for me. I shall go with the SE.

So THIS " I like my teeth to be as pointy and aggressive as possible" was just kidding and I fell for it? :thinking :grin-sweat
Nope but I just want to compare those shallow serrations with the ''real'' spyderedge plus I allways prefer teeth over plain edge. It seems to me that most don't understand that the ideea behind serrations is to be aggressive in order to cut strong materials like ropes and cords as fast as possible. The only problem is to keep the serrations at peak sharpness at all time.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:56 am
Wartstein wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Nope but I just want to compare those shallow serrations with the ''real'' spyderedge plus I allways prefer teeth over plain edge. It seems to me that most don't understand that the ideea behind serrations is to be aggressive in order to cut strong materials like ropes and cords as fast as possible. The only problem is to keep the serrations at peak sharpness at all time.

Ok, that´s really interesting!!

For quite some time I thought the same - that the "aggressive" serrations would outperform the "non aggressive" ones on rope and the like.
But honestly: Just in my testing I came to the conclusion that this is actually not the case for me: On material like hemp ropes or climbing ropes the "aggressive" teeth tended to "hook" or "snag" and "stop" the cut, while the "non aggressive" ones just glided through (both types work better than PE for me on ropes and the like though).

Really curious what you´ll find when comparing the "shallow" Stretch XL serrations to your preferred "pointier" ones!!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:28 am
elena86 wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:56 am
Wartstein wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Ok, that´s really interesting!!

For quite some time I thought the same - that the "aggressive" serrations would outperform the "non aggressive" ones on rope and the like.
But honestly: Just in my testing I came to the conclusion that this is actually not the case for me: On material like hemp ropes or climbing ropes the "aggressive" teeth tended to "hook" or "snag" and "stop" the cut, while the "non aggressive" ones just glided through (both types work better than PE for me on ropes and the like though).

Really curious what you´ll find when comparing the "shallow" Stretch XL serrations to your preferred "pointier" ones!!
The spyderdge snag only when it’s not at peak sharpness. Peak sharpness for me might be different than peak sharpness for you. Trust me on that. Or not…
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )