I hate the Para 3 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DeadForests

I hate the Para 3 LW

Post by DeadForests »

It has killed most knives for me. It has a strong lock, solid lock up, perfect centering in my case, good steel in the 4v version I have, comfortable handles which are big enough for a full grip, good blade geometry while being sturdy, drops shut, has a good price point, is made in the USA, so light that it doesn't feel like anything in your pocket.

I know that the Sage 5 LW is cool and all, but I do like having knives from the Golden factory as I live in Colorado.

The FRN grew on me, at the start I thought the insides were too sharp, and that FRN seemed like a cheap material, but over days of research I feel like FRN is probably the best handle material for knives in general. I don't view it as cheap anymore, but just as an optimal material choice for the application of having a lightweight and liner less model. I also love the contouring they were able to do for the handles, which make it very comfortable to use. The inside of the knife is also super intelligently designed to make the compression lock work. It seems like a high technology piece of equipment when you look.

My Para 3 LW has not developed any wiggle, side to side, up or down. It's big enough for me to do virtually any task, and gives me confidence in hand. It's also small enough for me to manipulate it and cut with precision, which some larger knives have difficulty doing. The swept up blade shape makes it very versatile. The pocket clip is positioned onto the logo which makes it very smooth for taking in and out of pocket, and the wire clip does not attract attention like a spoon clip.

I want to buy another knife but I can't because I always think in the end, is this going to kick out my Para 3 LW from my pocket? Probably not.

I am very angry at Spyderco because of this, and it has ruined my knife buying and selling cyclical addiction. The only other knife that makes it's way into my life is my Ladybug, but I think everyone's got a Ladybug or a Manbug in their lives.
cabfrank

Re: I hate the Para 3 LW

Post by cabfrank »

Well, you could always buy another Para 3 LW. They come in different colors and steels. I am hoping for a Salt version at some point too.
DeadForests

Post by DeadForests »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:01 pm
Well, you could always buy another Para 3 LW. They come in different colors and steels. I am hoping for a Salt version at some point too.

I am actually also waiting for a Salt para 3 lW, I think they are going to probably use Magnacut if I had to make a guess. I would also buy a Damascus Para 3 LW. Currently, none of the other Para 3 LW are interesting to me since I already have one in a steel I'd like, the Salt would be for if I was worried about corrosion for the blade.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I went through 3 of them until I accepted that the way I want to hold it does not wirk for me. Love the design, love the lock execution, live the low weight. I have resorted to PM2, but actually like the PM3 LW better. Call me weird.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
DeadForests

Post by DeadForests »

Matus wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:04 pm
I went through 3 of them until I accepted that the way I want to hold it does not wirk for me. Love the design, love the lock execution, live the low weight. I have resorted to PM2, but actually like the PM3 LW better. Call me weird.
I went to a sporting goods store that sells knives yesterday. I held the Para 2, and I just thought it was a bit too big for what I do on a daily basis. It also has the lanyard tube which makes it a pain to disassemble, and also it has fairly boxy g10 handles.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There is a weird sort of sadness in finding "the one". Satisfaction is the death of desire.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Funny write up, and great that you found your "perfect folder"! :smlling-eyes

Differently to you, while I´d still take the Para 3 LW over most other small folders of any other brand, it happens to be not my favorite Spyderco, rather the opposite (though again, I find it still pretty good!)

If it helped with your "burden" ;) I could give you my reasoning, but I think you just have to live with your perfect folder and I am glad for you.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

What I wouldn't give for a yellow or green-handled salt in any of the three salt steels. Maybe DLC all throughout. Whew, I wanna loosen my tie just saying that.

It's definitely unfortunate in a way, finding the one. It's been my experience with the P3LW as well, and it was a surprising one. It sort of seemed to me, for a time, that the P3LW was sort of an average knife with a little bit of a reputation for being overrated. Comment after comment on reddit and other forums, here too, suggested to me that the Sage 5 LW was the superior choice in every single way. And I love my Sage 5 LW, but nothing disappears quite like a P3LW, and I don't have any grip troubles that the P3 causes that the Sage clears up, both are similarly comfortable to me, just with different weights.

The lightness did kind of scare me at first, and I had to really get tough with it on a few occassions to kind of break free of that feeling. No need to baton the thing, or use it in an unsafe manner, but the feeling of "wow can this really do it?" can disappear really fast if you make it.

Will be interesting to see how the PM2LW turns out. I consider the PM2 a perfect fit to my hand, I just don't really like carrying the dang things, especially the (likely) 50% of the year I'm in gym shorts.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Lol, I said that when I first got my LW Para 3. Only I meant it, rabidly. Then after a week of use and break in, I came to really like my example.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

DeadForests wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:06 pm
Matus wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:04 pm
I went to a sporting goods store that sells knives yesterday. I held the Para 2, and I just thought it was a bit too big for what I do on a daily basis. It also has the lanyard tube which makes it a pain to disassemble, and also it has fairly boxy g10 handles.
The para3LW has nicely rounded edges and is much more comfortable in hand. Of course your other arguments are still valid, but the knife feeling good in your hand does seem to make other issues much less significant.
NASA50

Post by NASA50 »

The Para 3 LW was my EDC for the longest time .... that was until my friends here on the forum convinced me to purchase (and try out) a Sage 5 LW (made in Taiwan of course) ... which has now replaced the Para 3 as my EDC ( I honestly did not think that possible).

I also agree with another member above - when in my hand - the Para 2 is the perfect size ... but when in my pocket ... the Para 3 LW or Sage 5 LW ... is my preference ... it goes back to my silly RV analogy ... when driving down the road you want the smallest RV ... but when parked ... you want the largest ... cant have your cake and eat it too ...

NASA 50
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

When I saw this thread’s title I correctly guessed what it would be. In a similar vein, I suspect I will simply DETEST the FRN Caribbean with MagnaCut when it drops. :winking-tongue
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The P2 and P3 are too small for my hands. Also, I don't trust (for very good reasons) detent based locks. They are neat designs, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spicy Suplex wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:01 pm

The lightness did kind of scare me at first, and I had to really get tough with it on a few occassions to kind of break free of that feeling. No need to baton the thing, or use it in an unsafe manner, but the feeling of "wow can this really do it?" can disappear really fast if you make it.

You should try a Salt 2 ffg for lightness.. (if you generall like the model, that is!) - a lot lighter than a Para 3 LW (actually the Salt 2 sibling WITH liners, the Delica is a hair lighter already than the Para 3 LW) and I actually HAVE batoned with the Salt - just small branches though, for making kindling. No problem at all, and i am sure the Para 3 LW could take that too (again, LIGHT batoning)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

That's actually on the list! I've already got the hollow Salt 2, really like the linerless handle and was gonna go for the FFG version soon. I was amazed how nice it is to hold a linerless Delica, and that halfway-not-too-sheepsfooty tip is just fantastic.
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

You seem to be sad because you don't think there is anything better than the Para 3 LW and nothing can kick it out of your pocket for edc. There is a very simple solution for this. Wear pants with more than one pocket and :lightbulb carry more than one knife. Works for me. :cheap-sunglasses
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I made a thread with an extremely similar theme not that long ago, and it actually inspired me to get a BHQ-exclusive Sage 5, so we'll see if this is still true for me.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I have a lot of “perfect Spydies” and some others models outside the brand. Competition for pocket space is never a bad thing :) .

One thing you might do is force yourself into a rotation. It not only helps bring spice to a sometimes boring workweek but you can work to sharpen the ones that are cooling off until their next clip-day.

Besides always having a very sharp knife you can enjoy the PM3 LW a bit more when it’s carry time is ready. I guess you could sell off some of the less ideal ones but that would be a travesty :)!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Before you know it, it will be an afterthought! I've had this same thing happen with at least 5 knives I can think of off the top of my head. It's a slippery slope!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Yea, I feel this way about most of my Spyderco's. The only one that hasn't killed all other knives is my Dragonfly, because at the end of the day I just like larger knives. Still love that knife, though.

My current thing is that if the knife doesn't have Micarta scales, I'm just kinda like "why bother?" FRN still wins for sweaty pursuits though.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.