Broken Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bgcameron

Broken Blade

Post by bgcameron »

Just a little reminder to not abuse your knives:

I spotted a spydie hole in a junk box at work and I was super excited until I saw the rest.. I've heard lots of talk about how the saber grind is much stronger than a FFG. It doesn't change the strength of a pivot.
Attachments
blade.jpg
Evil D

Re: Broken Blade

Post by Evil D »

Yep. Been saying this for years. Also the argument that putting a hole in the blade weakens it, which may well be true but it's not likely to be the weakest point anyway.
Last edited by Evil D on Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

oof.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Looks like someone thought they had a folding prybar.
- Nick :bug-red
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Modern folders from companies like Spyderco are quite tough but are still more oriented for vertical slicing performance.

Even if you don’t snap the blade you can often over time increase tolerances.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It almost looks like the inspiration for a certain rocks whiskey glass.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

In my opinion (just guessing, I have no prove!) a folder will either snap first at the very tip or at the pivot or the pivot/blade will rip out of the handle as a whole--- before the blade actually breaks (somewhere else than in the very tip area).

I snapped some tips (really just the tiny last part), but never came close to breaking the blade of a Spydie, also not at the pivot.
And I certainly do abuse my folders, but see no reason to do "pry to the max" tests... I did pry open a window though once with my Pac Salt (H1, the sabre grind certainly helps here), but I held it on the actual blade (pinch grip) while doing so, so no stress for the pivot area occured.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Weld on a piece of steel and make a hidden tang paring knife…….
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:49 pm
I couldn't agree more. An old machinist I used to work with who also liked and collected knives>> he said on a few occasions that a knife is supposed to be use for it's intended purpose and not as a screwdriver, prybar, wood chisel or some type of a reamer.

It really amazes me when I see someone using a knife for the most bizarre and outrageous uses. But I do occasionally see people using knives in several idiotic ways. But this must have been a dandy for sure.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:45 am
Weld on a piece of steel and make a hidden tang paring knife…….

Good idea.

I can envision situations where a tool needs to be abused, and possibly destroyed, in order to complete a task that must be done, but not so much in a work environment where you would, presumably, have something better suited to the task at hand.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:11 am
Mushroom wrote:
I couldn't agree more. An old machinist I used to work with who also liked and collected knives>> he said on a few occasions that a knife is supposed to be use for it's intended purpose and not as a screwdriver, prybar, wood chisel or some type of a reamer.

It really amazes me when I see someone using a knife for the most bizarre and outrageous uses. But I do occasionally see people using knives in several idiotic ways. But this must have been a dandy for sure.
A knife is a tool in the end, it's not some mystical object It has an intended purpose, but just like flathead screwdrivers, it can and should serve for tasks on the spot that go out their confort zone.

The only real difference with a screwdrivers is the price and the attachement some people have for their knives. Some baby them because they spent 100+ on the piece. I've rarely saw people babying screwdrivers.

I've carried a mini adamas for some weeks and was working stuff around the house. It eat everything I threw at it without flinching. Even some tasks you'd qualify as "idiotic".

Most Spyderco knives are pure slicers, the PM2 being a prime example. That doesn't mean knives in general should just be used as pure slicers. I like versatile knives more than pure slicers myself because I'm not a "fancy" knife guy or a collector. To me, knives are tools first and foremost, I use them hard.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Out of curiosity, I would like to see the rest of the knife and the story behind the destruction. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Xformer wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:23 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:11 am
Mushroom wrote:

A knife is a tool in the end, it's not some mystical object It has an intended purpose, but just like flathead screwdrivers, it can and should serve for tasks on the spot that go out their confort zone.

The only real difference with a screwdrivers is the price and the attachement some people have for their knives. Some baby them because they spent 100+ on the piece. I've rarely saw people babying screwdrivers.

I've carried a mini adamas for some weeks and was working stuff around the house. It eat everything I threw at it without flinching. Even some tasks you'd qualify as "idiotic".

Most Spyderco knives are pure slicers, the PM2 being a prime example. That doesn't mean knives in general should just be used as pure slicers. I like versatile knives more than pure slicers myself because I'm not a "fancy" knife guy or a collector. To me, knives are tools first and foremost, I use them hard.
I've used my Hinderer to pry plates off, where the gasket has been stuck. Not too tough, but the thick blade and how the stop pin alleviates pressure on the pivot certainly make it more suited to that task than an endura or police.

I still don't make it a habit. A knife is a knife, and if I really needed to use some force I have a demo screwdriver for that task.

One thing that always gets me is watching people baton with a folder locked open, then they complain when the lock doesn't hold anymore. Well, you destroyed the locking faces by beating on the knife, which will transmit the force through the weakest areas. Do as the manufacturers say (unlock the blade) and it will work and won't get damaged.

Spine whacking also goes into this category. Sure, a few small taps aren't going to hurt, but some people really whack them, then claim that so and so knives are terrible. No, the knives were fine, it was the nut behind the wheel that ruined them.

Just my 2 cents.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

This has been great entertainment, a broken blade and a dissertation on Spyderco pure slicers . :) MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

A knife is only as strong as its weakest point
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Most blade I've seen broken were at this point, but there's a lot of Maxamet PM2s online that we can see broken top to bottom at the thumb hole.

Someone even said the blade on his Maxamet PM2 broke just by flicking it open too hard ! It's weird cause I have two Maxamet knives and have been doing stupid stuff with one of the two, just to see up to where it'll go. It'll go plenty far enough if we still think of it as a knife. If we are trying to use it as a throwing knife, that'll be a shame for sure.

Especially when the spyderthrowers are still available !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
James Y

Post by James Y »

Everyone uses their own knives the way they see fit.

I always carry an a5 least one, and usually two, SAKS, along with whatever Spyderco I happen to be carrying. If I need to do some light prying, I use the large screwdriver/bottle opener blade, and pinch it at its base while doing that. For a little more significant prying, I have a mini prybar on my keyring. Anything more significant than that, a folding knife blade certainly isn't going to do as well.

If I need to open a can or such, I use the can opener. For example, I've seen videos where people boasted they could open a can with their Spyderco Police. I can do it much faster, better, more hygienic, and more safely with my SAK.

But clearly, many knife carriers want to carry only one knife, and expect that one knife to be a jack of all trades.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

https://mayhew.com/product-category/scr ... -pry-bars/

Let me introduce y'all to these things
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

My thought exactly. The right tool for the right job. Don't be lazy get what you need.