Differing tabs on compression locks.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pickmansmodel82

Differing tabs on compression locks.

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

There’s been a bit of discussion on comp lock knives, and the kick or nub of some models being undesirable or less than ergonomic. I’m curious others thoughts on the lock tab itself.

Having tried a few different models, I’ve found the tab on the shaman to be the best, the scalloping on that seems easiest to catch and manipulate. I’m sure there’s a reason for the difference, but I’d personally like to see that on your comp locks.
Karl_H

Re: Differing tabs on compression locks.

Post by Karl_H »

I agree, the design of the tab on the Ikuchi leaves a lot to be desired.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Of all my comp lock knives, I find the Shaman the most difficult to operate. Probably due to the length of my thumbs and encroaching years making them less flexible.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im fine with the finger guard hitting a finger or whatever, I just adjust and move my finger out of the way.

But the variations in comp lock tabs themselves is something I do notice. Or really the variations in the tab interface, general tab area, not sure what to call it.

Some comp locks I like how they work, but they can occasionally have a pinch. (Pm2)
This is from the tab being able to catch some meat of your finger or hand or whatever in a standard opening and pinching it between the tab and opposite scale.

Then I think some other comp locks got redesigned to avoid the pinch by moving the opposite side cutout forward. The Shaman does this. What gets me about the Shaman though is the liner on the comp lock side comes down on the front side into the cutout. I cant stand when my nail gets a little long and I go to push the comp lock and end up pushing on that liner instead. It doesnt happen too often and I can easily adjust, but I would prefer that liner just stop earlier instead of coming down to meet the comp lock tab.

Para 3 lightweight seems to get everything right as far as a comp lock goes, for me anyways.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

This is one of the reasons I think the Smock button comp lock should appear on more models. I have read other comments about comp locks on the forum and off hand I think the button addresses them all. I have several knives with comp locks, and I like every implementation I have tried but I believe the Smock is the best. The Smock itself is an awesome knife but so are the Shaman, PM2, Watu and Sage 5. The Superleaf also has a comp lock, love it too. There may be models that for engineering reasons the button would not fit into, the Para 3 and Watu are not big knives but the others would be eligible if Spyderco wanted to implement the button comp lock. I suspect that the cost would be steep though. Lot of dollars in tooling and re-design. It would be great if some future comp locks featured the button though.
Last edited by kodai78 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

kodai78 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:57 pm
This is one of the reasons I think the Smock button comp lock should appear on more models. I have read other comments about comp locks on the forum and off hand I think the button addresses them all. I have several knives with comp locks, and I like every implementation I have tried but I believe the Smock is the best. The Smock itself is an awesome knife but so are the Shaman, PM2, Chokwe and Sage 5. The Superleaf also has a comp lock, love it too. There may be models that for engineering reasons the button would not fit into, the Para 3 and Chokwe are not big knives but the others would be eligible if Spyderco wanted to implement the button comp lock. I suspect that the cost would be steep though. Lot of dollars in tooling and re-design. It would be great if some future comp locks featured the button though.
I agree, the button comp lock is genius and amazing. It would be really cool to see that on other models.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

The one on the Lil' Temp 3 bugs me a bit because the tab, and the cutout on the opposite scale, don't quite align. The cutout needs to be shifted back a few millimeters. You can see it in this picture. Still easy to close, just looks weird.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

kodai78 wrote:
The Smock itself is an awesome knife but so are the Shaman, PM2, Chokwe and Sage 5.
The Chokwe has a frame lock. Did you mean the Watu?

(Both are awesome)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's kinda weird how so many have different lock cutouts. I could see it even being a part of the overall patent design but maybe not. Most back locks have essentially the same shape lock cutout but maybe the shape is more of a requirement for a back lock since you need to press the lock in a certain distance, while a CL you just need to get your finger on the tab. The Shaman is indeed really nice especially with how the shape of the scale bevels down to the lock tab.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

yowzer wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:32 pm
kodai78 wrote:
The Smock itself is an awesome knife but so are the Shaman, PM2, Chokwe and Sage 5.
The Chokwe has a frame lock. Did you mean the Watu?

(Both are awesome)
Yes I did. Sorry. Fixed the original post now. Thanks
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'm fine with the compression locks of the PM2, Para3, Yojimbo 2, Sage 5 LW, Canis, Kapara, and Sliverax.

I've never handled a Shaman.

For me, the Hanan has the most difficult lock to disengage due to the cramped space that it is in and the small size of the tab.
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Lil Native definitely gives you the "nub bump". Pretty much it's only weakness imo.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Tab problem! There are more than one way to release a compression lock.
Use thumb to push tab in, shake blade down to stop on your index finger, turn knife and close blade with thumb. I like this method better because you can keep more fingers on the handle ie more control.
I used this method "long ago" on the early days of compression locks that is to say "before Para1" and before there were instructions on how to do it. :smlling-eyes
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white