Best way to figure out prices on secondary market

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Trav64

Best way to figure out prices on secondary market

Post by Trav64 »

Hey y'all, hopefully some can help me. Im currently trying to figure out what to charge for some knives I'm needing to give up, I cross reference ebay alot but know the prices can be on the crazy side sometimes, does anyone know any other reference source. Thanks for any help.
sn0wman72

Re: Best way to figure out prices on secondary market

Post by sn0wman72 »

Completed auctions on eBay is one the best sources of info around the market price of an item
Matus

Post by Matus »

Not Bladeforums. For an unknown reason to me people over there remove prices on sold items …
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Look at what MSRP was, then punch yourself square in the face as hard as you can. That's pretty much how people come up with prices these days.

Hmm...street price was $175, MSRP is about $250, may as well list this on eBay for mmmmmmm $600. Sounds about right.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:07 am
Look at what MSRP was, then punch yourself square in the face as hard as you can. That's pretty much how people come up with prices these days.

Hmm...street price was $175, MSRP is about $250, may as well list this on eBay for mmmmmmm $600. Sounds about right.
Yeah, but you can't blame the seller if someone actually buys it for that price.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
jdw

Post by jdw »

I can't remember which longtime to member to credit but they went by the guideline that a secondary markup should not be sold nor bought for more than 30% of cost, which I guess pretty much makes it MSRP. It seems like a good rule of thumb to me unless you are dealing with something that the collector value way outpaces the use value.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JMM

Post by JMM »

As was already mentioned the "completed auctions" results from ebay is a good place to see what a particular model has been going for and when. I also visit arizonacustomknives.com as well....
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

There is no set guide, each knife and situation is different.

If the knife is used, in good condition and readily available then I would usually just put it at a price that makes it an attractive option for someone considering buying the knife new...usually 10-20% off lowest NIB & In Stock price found in a quick web search.

If the knife is unavailable at retail or heavily used/modified then the price will obviously reflect that. Mod's are usually non-refundable (meaning a selling loss), just because you sank $200 into hardware, clip and scales you can't expect someone else to pay full price for the modifications whether they appreciate them or not. Likewise if the knife was an obvious beater for you, then the price should reflect that, ~40-70% off.

If the knife is collectible/unavailable and in excellent condition, then you can start experimenting with marked up prices on ebay, scouting out secondary selling markets, and checking the completed auction buy prices. If it is a knife that is not regularly sold on the secondary market then price setting is up to you. How fast are you looking to move the knife and how much do you actually value the piece that you are looking to sell? The most important thing is being honest with yourself, you will generally know if something is priced well or not, just by how it makes you feel after the deal is done. Even hypothetically, who got the best of the deal in the situation? Did you both win? Was money even a large consideration for the buyer or were they just happy to have found the hard to find knife in excellent condition and available to them?

That's my stream of consciousness on the situation clacked out quickly. Good luck with your sales! Stalk r/knife_swap, r/spydercoswap, the knife exchange, ebay, IG and custom knife dealers.
So it goes.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd advise looking at eBay "sold" listings, since "completed" can include the listing prices of items so grossly overpriced that the listing simply ended without attracting an offer. Even in the sold listings differences in the knife's condition, edge type, and whether the box and paperwork is included can make a major difference in what folks will pay for it as can how well (or poorly) it's photographed and described.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Actually selling a Spydie on eBay activates an algorithm that will tell you what is the average selling price on eBay for the model specified. You can back out before publishing the sale.

Also, going to Arizona Custom Knives can tell you the price for different sales of the same Spydie model.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Trav64

Post by Trav64 »

Wow thanks for all the replys, definitely some tips and tricks to help me out
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

My favorite benchmark for sales values is Arizona Custom Knives. They only sell legit products, so you don't have to wade through any counterfeit stuff, and they leave their sales prices up with sell dates, so you have a historical record of collector's value over time.

Stay safe,

Mike
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

As many here said, eBay SOLD listings are the best indicator, BUT you also need to look at active listings to see what you are competing against.

If a Shaman Sprint sold recently for $400, BUT there are 3 listed right now for $350, you are probably not going to sell it for $400 until those other 3 sell and then yours is now the lowest priced active listing. Which could take weeks or months possibly. If you want to sell it fast, you would list it for $349 or maybe even $345 or $340, and know that maybe the price has come down a little or the $400 was an anomaly.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Cost is based on the amount of phlebotinum used for the knife plus the unobtainium
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:21 am
My favorite benchmark for sales values is Arizona Custom Knives. They only sell legit products, so you don't have to wade through any counterfeit stuff, and they leave their sales prices up with sell dates, so you have a historical record of collector's value over time.

Stay safe,

Mike
I just wanted to add that A C Knives is a great place to purchase from. I received the wrong item from them one time. After a friendly chat to sort out, my knife arrived with a "thanks for being patient" note and long sleeve t-shirt with their logo. I thought that was very generous for a small error. Great company with, as you mentioned, legit products.