Tell me about custom production folders.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Tell me about custom production folders.

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This should probably be moved to the off topic section. I don't have any experience with mid-techs. Only production and customs. I know the tolk is really well made and I'd be happy to have one. There is a new version available exclusively from knifecenter.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SKTTOL ... um-handles
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I don't have any experience with the mid-techs either, but I'm definitely interested in hearing from people who do.

In my experience, the step up to a full custom is actually worth the extra money. I'm constantly surprised by how much I prefer my Phil Wilson B&T to my Sprig, for example. Even at more than twice the price, I'd say it was money well spent.

Anyone have a similar comparison for a mid-tech they want to share?
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Mid-techs fill a niche for folks who want a custom knife, but either can't afford it or don't want to wait years for the knife. The problem is, there's no consistent definition of a mid-tech or semi-custom knife. One maker will call a knife mid-tech because some parts were outsourced (e.g., blade and/or liners cut out by water jet). Another maker will call a knife mid-tech because, even though every part was made in his/her shop, the blade was machine/CNC ground. A third maker will call a knife mid-tech because even though all the parts were outsourced, the knife was put together and finished in his/her shop. The important thing is that the maker be completely transparent about how the knife was made.

FWIW, I agree with Tom about it being worth the extra money to step up to a full custom.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Do you mean customized production folders? Because there is such thing as custom production.

As far as mid-techs go, I have 1; it is s Dervish Knives NavEDC. It is a truly awesome knife.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

I have only one midtech:

I like it, but it certainly wasn't perfect when I bought it new.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I had a Tolk for a couple years. They are very nice knives, and balance outsourced machining and hand crafting quite well.

I thought of it like this, at $475 it isn't that much more expensive than high-end production knives, but has a little more caché since Brad Southard actually did a lot of hand work on them.

I did end up selling it though. It was a beautiful knife to fondle, but I never cut anything with it or even carried it that much.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I liked the chubby enough that I found a micheal burch mid-tech to be it's big brother.
It's beefy. The pivot is really smooth. It's got a stonewashed finish. It was mostly outsourced and micheal birch did final quality control. There are less of them so the odds of getting a dud are way down. But honestly, unless you want something unique, a good spyderco is just as good. I might get another mid-tech if I couldn't get that model any other way and really wanted something.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Able Dog wrote:I did end up selling it though. It was a beautiful knife to fondle, but I never cut anything with it or even carried it that much.
Yes, this is a big problem with expensive knives. They are hard to actually use and enjoy when in the back of your mind you are devaluing it at the same time. Many people will say just use it, and that's all well and good, but it's my money being drained, not theirs.

Recently I bought a damascus CRK Sebenza 21 and have resigned myself to actually use the **** thing. Which I have. But I'd be lying if I didn't use a cheaper knife for the really messy jobs, or ones hat could damage it. I honestly hope to own the knife for the rest of my life and I want to see what it's capable of. It's production, sure, but it's pretty **** close to a mid tech.

I do own a full blown custom Peter Rassenti Nirvana. I can tell you that as nice as it is, my Spyderco nirvana is pretty close to it. I think I'll still get another custom someday but the whole thing made me appreciate Spyderco and the knives they make that much more. Buying a Spyderco collaboration really is the next best thing to getting something from the maker themselves.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Able Dog wrote:I did end up selling it though. It was a beautiful knife to fondle, but I never cut anything with it or even carried it that much.
Yes, this is a big problem with expensive knives. They are hard to actually use and enjoy when in the back of your mind you are devaluing it at the same time. Many people will say just use it, and that's all well and good, but it's my money being drained, not theirs.

Recently I bought a damascus CRK Sebenza 21 and have resigned myself to actually use the **** thing. Which I have. But I'd be lying if I didn't use a cheaper knife for the really messy jobs, or ones hat could damage it. I honestly hope to own the knife for the rest of my life and I want to see what it's capable of. It's production, sure, but it's pretty **** close to a mid tech.
As someone who carries and uses his expensive custom knives, please allow me to offer my perspective. If you plan to keep a knife for the rest of your life and never sell it, the resale value of the knife is $0.00. So, when you use it, there's no depreciation, just the enjoyment of owning a finely crafted tool.
TheKnifeCollector

I have always carried & used my custom knives, and always will.
TheKnifeCollector

Here is my Dervish NavED. And the 2nd. picture is with my SnG, for size comparison.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Yes, this is a big problem with expensive knives. They are hard to actually use and enjoy when in the back of your mind you are devaluing it at the same time.
You can find customs used, and then you don't feel bad about using them. :)
TheKnifeCollector

I find it to be the opposite to be true for me, as I DO enjoy carrying AND using my custom knives. I get so much jo!!y of using it
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I have both customs and mid-tec production pieces, use them all, that'd why I buy them. Love my Shirogorov's, they are definately a step above production pieces. That being said, I still feel that Spyderco's are still some of the beat bang for your buck knives out there. I will continue to buy both.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."