Small Spyderco Fixed Blades? Ideal EDC blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Small Spyderco Fixed Blades? Ideal EDC blades?

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about what really constitutes an ideal EDC knife. Lately I've been chatting with a good Brother about the ideal circumstances of using one of Spyderco's smaller fixed blades for a main EDC. When you think about it they already have introduced some great models for that purpose. When you consider the STREETBEAT, SWICK, ENUFF, SPOT and even the older, forgotten, discontinued VAGABOND models all would make great EDC blades under the right circumstances. Oh and don't forget the RONIN which I've always thought to be one of Spyderco's best hidden treasures.

Now please don't misunderstand me because I'll always carry one of Spyderco's great folders but the more I think about a fixed blade for a person's main EDC the more I like it. The SWICK, THE SPOT and The VAGABOND would all have to be brought back to the main line up to be made available but if the concept of a fixed blade EDC would truly catch on I do believe that those would be high selling models for that purpose.

It's also interesting to note that most every "survival" and "prepper" type book or magazine all recommend using fixed blades over folders pointing out that fixed blades don't have moving parts to potentially fail you like folders do. Small fixed blades for EDC?? What do you all think about that?
SG89

Re: Small Spyderco Fixed Blades? Ideal EDC blades?

Post by SG89 »

I think a small puukko style knife with slim flat handles would be neat.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

I personally carry at least 1 folder and one fixed blade daily. Usually two folders because I am a nut for spyderco's.. My Ronin 2 rides comfortably worn IWB at about 4-4:30 (Right where love handles might be) It is completely invisible under my shirt and I never feel it. Even when sitting down. It has quickly become one of my favorite spydies I own.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Street Beat is a good EDC blade. It is a little thick but other than that it is a handy do everything fixed blade. I have a hard time comfortably carrying any fixed blade bigger than that.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like the idea of a small H1 hidden tang fixed blade EDC. Something along the lines of a Swick or Ark.

The Ark has impressed me with the overall design so far but I don't care for the sheath or how much belly it has. The sheath won't accept a g clip and I don't like having things around my neck, so I'm going to drill another hole in it and slap a G clip on it for waistband carry.

I'd prefer something with a wharncliffe shape, but it seems I'm the only one that wants a PE H1 wharncliffe, because only SE get made.

My ideal FB EDC would be a Ronin 1 in H1 scaled down to be a 2.5 to 3 finger grip, or an H1 Swick 3, with a thin, minimal sheath that accepts a G-Clip natively. Polished Micarta scales similar to the Street Beat. While FRN is nice, I like smooth scales for when carrying the FB under a shirt. Less abrasive against the skin.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My only problem with carrying a small fixed blade is how exactly to carry them. I would carry something like an Izulu if I had a sheath that clipped into my pocket like a folder does. I tend to hate things hanging off my belt so a belt sheath is out unless I'm hunting or something like that. For true EDC it needs to be as concealed and convenient as a folder.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Evil D wrote:My only problem with carrying a small fixed blade is how exactly to carry them. I would carry something like an Izulu if I had a sheath that clipped into my pocket like a folder does. I tend to hate things hanging off my belt so a belt sheath is out unless I'm hunting or something like that. For true EDC it needs to be as concealed and convenient as a folder.
This was a long time issue for me until I stumbled on to three different options that now work great for the type of carry you are looking for. the first is the KSF front pocket sheath. It fits the izula, Hess Capers, and all sorts of little fixed blades. (Bottom Left)

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr

Cajun Leatherworks from Etsy makes some nice clipped pocket sheaths as well. I had this one made for my Air.

the last and probably my favorite option is the front pocket sheath made by Collector Knives. I carry a GEC Clip point fixed blade in that. Sorry, no pics but this link might work. I carry them clipped inside my front pocket with the clip facing out. Only the handle of the knife protrudes out of the pocket.

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-arxsrf/q ... 80.JPG?c=2
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Knives ShipFreeSheath was a great option for me and I carried an Izula or a BK14 in my back pocket in the wallet style one for over a year. I could easily draw and resheath the knife without removing the sheath from my pocket but what put me off was having to take it and the knife out every time I needed my debit card. I don't think that most people knew what it was but I often wondered if it made people uneasy. The Izula is green and doesn't really stick out very far so I doubt that anybody knew what it was but the BK14 stuck out further.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:My only problem with carrying a small fixed blade is how exactly to carry them. I would carry something like an Izulu if I had a sheath that clipped into my pocket like a folder does. I tend to hate things hanging off my belt so a belt sheath is out unless I'm hunting or something like that. For true EDC it needs to be as concealed and convenient as a folder.
Yeah that's kind of a concern of mine as well. Now my late best friend who passed almost two years ago used an "ankle sheath" that he got on the internet somewhere but I'm not completely sure of where he got it. I'll ask his son the next time I see him which should be sooner rather than later.

I personally also love the STREETBEAT as an EDC fixed blade. But I guess I'll just have to bite the financial bullet and get one of those custom knifemakers that does serrations for a fee to make me a serrated version too. That's what I just loved about the TEMPERANCE 1 model that believe it or not I actually EDC it especially when I'm visiting my friends in the Ozarks Mountains ( big hills). Because they did offer that great model in SE & PE both ( smart marketing ;) ) Now I just use the TEK-LOK sheath that came from the factory when I EDC my TEMP 1 models.

Here in Missouri concealment ( carrying it around your ankle) is really not a problem unless your blade exceeds the legal state limit of 4 inches.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I bought a small Bark River fixed blade to try and EDC it. I tried all kinds of carrying options, but nothing worked as well as a deep carry pocket clip on a Spyderco folder.

It now sits on my dresser and never gets carried.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Vivi wrote:I like the idea of a small H1 hidden tang fixed blade EDC. Something along the lines of a Swick or Ark.

The Ark has impressed me with the overall design so far but I don't care for the sheath or how much belly it has. The sheath won't accept a g clip and I don't like having things around my neck, so I'm going to drill another hole in it and slap a G clip on it for waistband carry.

I'd prefer something with a wharncliffe shape, but it seems I'm the only one that wants a PE H1 wharncliffe, because only SE get made.

My ideal FB EDC would be a Ronin 1 in H1 scaled down to be a 2.5 to 3 finger grip, or an H1 Swick 3, with a thin, minimal sheath that accepts a G-Clip natively. Polished Micarta scales similar to the Street Beat. While FRN is nice, I like smooth scales for when carrying the FB under a shirt. Less abrasive against the skin.
I get you there, Vivi
I love the micarta and shape of this one the most:

but I love the steel and thinness of this

a mix of these 2 would be my ideal EDC fixed blade, but I think there's not enough interest :(

vivi

Post by vivi »

Yup, something kind of like the CRKT design in H1 with Spyderco ergonomics would be ideal. I might try to find some polished micarta scales for a Swick 3 and go that route.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been any further mention of either the SWICK or SPOT fixed blade models of Spyderco past. Personally I think that the SWICK might just be the best fixed blade yet for EDC uses.

Oh I'm well aware of the ENUFF fixed blades and to some degree they are great for EDC uses>> particularly the ones in the H-1 Salt Series. They might want to re-think the SWICK model to be a great fixed blade for EDC uses as well as a candidate for the Salt Series but I would like to see the SWICK offered in SE & PE both with LC200N blade steel.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I make knives as a hobby and I enjoy carrying a small fixed blade in a canted horizontal leather sheath to the right of my belt buckle.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ABX2011 wrote:I make knives as a hobby and I enjoy carrying a small fixed blade in a canted horizontal leather sheath to the right of my belt buckle.
That's a very interesting looking fixed blade there "ABX2011" :) It actually reminds me a lot of Spyderco's SWICK model. The blade is quite similar in overall design and the ergos on that fixed blade look to be nothing short of excellent.

I think that is a great example of how the right fixed blade design can be a superb EDC blade. Oh don't get me wrong I'll probably never forsake folders anytime in the foreseeable future. But I do want to implement more fixed blades in my growing list of daily cutting chores.

Because when I'm cutting on something really hard and putting a lot of muscle into it I sure have a lot more confidence in fixed blades than I do with most folders. I think there is huge market potential in fixed blades that have a blade 3 to 3.5 inches long.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I am jealous. It's not worth the possible legal hassle to carry a fixed blade in soCal. Even if the bottom of the sheath is poking out 4 inches below your belt, if it's a fixed blade of ANY size and your shirt covers the handle it's a concealed weapon. Concealed fixed blades are illegal here, and people give you a wary eye if you open carry, but there are no concealment or size restrictions on folders. I have a very nice collection of fixed blade knives that have sat on a shelf for 20 years :/
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I am jealous. It's not worth the possible legal hassle to carry a fixed blade in soCal. Even if the bottom of the sheath is poking out 4 inches below your belt, if it's a fixed blade of ANY size and your shirt covers the handle it's a concealed weapon. Concealed fixed blades are illegal here, and people give you a wary eye if you open carry, but there are no concealment or size restrictions on folders. I have a very nice collection of fixed blade knives that have sat on a shelf for 20 years :/
Hey everybody's legal environment is different for the most part. Some of us are blessed with lenient laws like where I live ( Missouri) and I'm able to EDC/carry my C-36 Military model. I've heard that several areas of California, USA have very draconian laws pertaining to weapons of any type. You just got to adjust to the environment you live in. And in your case fixed blade EDC carry seems to not be an option.

You might want to check with members of the "AKTI" which is a knife rights group. They can best tell you what your options are concerning knife usage. No I don't want to see any of you spend even one day in Jail or pay any outrageous fines. The good Brethren of AKTI.org will be more than glad to steer you in the right direction. Whereas other states like Texas, Montana and many of the other Western states have very lenient laws with knife and gun carry both. So do educate yourself to avoid any legal pitfalls for sure.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD Spydo wrote:
You might want to check with members of the "AKTI" which is a knife rights group. They can best tell you what your options are concerning knife usage. No I don't want to see any of you spend even one day in Jail or pay any outrageous fines. The good Brethren of AKTI.org will be more than glad to steer you in the right direction. .
Thanks for the tip JD, I'll check them out.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

I think a small fixed blade would be an excellent edc. I own a Perrin Street Beat it it has a lot going for it!!

That said, I own many knives and can't control myself. I'll carry a knife for a week or a month then want to switch to another knife. It's a disorder. :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well looks like I'll be getting another Swick soon. Curious to compare it against my Ark and see which I prefer for EDC.