Small Spydies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
palonej

Small Spydies

Post by palonej »

I have always preferred larger blades....over 3 1/4", but became curious about some of the smaller offerings. Found out they are some of the most versatile blades!!!
Here are 2 that helped change my mind!!
CF Chap with CTS-XHP. Super smooth extremely useful little blade!! Love it!!!
Blue Slip with VG10. Adorable little beast that I love!!
Joe
Attachments
image.jpeg
paladin

Re: Small Spydies

Post by paladin »

A gray Caly Jr. is always with me...it's footprint & weight is so negligible there's no reason NOT TO HAVE IT WITH ME ALL THE TIME
palonej

Post by palonej »

Hey Paladin!!
The weight of these 2 combined is extremely negligible, hence NO reason to carry all the time!!
Plus.....they're just sooooo cool!!! I think Spydie has cool down pat!!
Joe
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Your thread is very apropos, Joe. ;) I've always loved Spyderco's little-big-knives--as well as most of the knives featuring 2.5" blades or less.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Hey Joe, welcome to the wonderful world of the "LBK", aka little big knife! Spyderco does them so well and in such variety. I often carry one as a secondary knife.
I like your Spin.

The Lava is about one of my favorites.

GB Air is great for days when I wear pants with a coin pocket, since it has no clip.

And the Michael Walker is a great LBK.

Techno is LBK TKO.

Worthy mention to the Dice and Chubby, although they are getting more into midsized carry in my mind.

On the other hand, Jester/Manbug/Ladyhawk is about as small as I'll go.

And of course, gotta mention what many consider the LBK King; the Dragonfly 2.
Going back to Caly.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Speedholes,

What version of the Dragonfly is that one on the picture? I have never seen the DF2 with thise scales.

Thanks,
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

ejcr98 wrote:Speedholes,

What version of the Dragonfly is that one on the picture? I have never seen the DF2 with thise scales.

Thanks,

That is just the standard issue G10 DF2 in Foliage green G10. Still readily available many places.
Sorry if the color looks off in the shade in that photo, looks more dull and grey there...
Going back to Caly.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Awesome pics SH!!! I see lots of LBKs in my future.....starting with that Lava!! That one is flat out cool!!
Joe
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Speedholes,

I have never seen the G-10 version in person, but I like the grey color in your picture looks awesome. I wish they would make a charcoal gray G-10 version of the DF2.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I am carrying today; Pingo and Ladybug Hawkbill. Had to bust out the Pingo at the kids' soccer game and didn't raise an eyebrow. I EDC a SS Dragonfly M-F at work and carry it clipped to the coin pocket inside RFP. Lava is a need to get but the PM3 has me jonesing the hardest
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Spyderco makes some real nice small knives, but I won't carry anything smaller than a PM2 as my primary knife. I do occasionally carry a FRN Dragonfly as a second knife and I think it works very well in that role.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I rarely carry anything smaller than an Ambitious. I've got a nice ZDP dragonfly cause everybody raves about the d-fly but it's going to get sold soon when I flush out half my knife collection.

I like mid size knives, easier to grab and deploy for me. Weight rarely bothers me. I've been carrying a stainless Police this week.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

palonej wrote:I have always preferred larger blades....over 3 1/4", but became curious about some of the smaller offerings. Found out they are some of the most versatile blades!!!
Here are 2 that helped change my mind!!
CF Chap with CTS-XHP. Super smooth extremely useful little blade!! Love it!!!
Blue Slip with VG10. Adorable little beast that I love!!
Joe

I love my Chap! Funny how huge it looks in that pic. :cool:
palonej

Post by palonej »

bdblue wrote:Spyderco makes some real nice small knives, but I won't carry anything smaller than a PM2 as my primary knife. I do occasionally carry a FRN Dragonfly as a second knife and I think it works very well in that role.
These 2 are great small knives! So well made, so tight, centered perfectly, so squared away in ever regard that they shocked me!
I, as you, prefer 3 1/2 to 4" as my primary, Cruwear Millie, PM2 or a G10 Manix2 mostly, but I never really knew how much more I pulled a little one out! They are so sheeple friendly.......my son's girlfriend saw the Spin, soooooooo NOT a blade fan, and loved it! She called it adorable!! You can pull either of them out anywhere!
1 of them will be with me as a back up from here on in!!
Joe
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ejcr98 wrote:Speedholes,

I have never seen the G-10 version in person, but I like the grey color in your picture looks awesome. I wish they would make a charcoal gray G-10 version of the DF2.
The Foliage Green G10 on the DF2 is particularly nice. I love this knife. It is in my pocket now, as a matter of fact. I have other DFs but this is my favorite.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a most interesting thread because I've gone on record a few times saying that Spyderco truly is the "King Of The Small Folders". Personally I'm not much of a user of small knives as a general rule but Spyderco has engineered some extremely versatile small blades. Some of my all time favorite small Spyders are the Dodo, Caly Jr. , Mouse, Jess Horn ZDP model, Wegner Jr., Dyad Jr., and the CF Cricket.

For most of my work I do on a daily basis a small blade just doesn't do what I need. But the Dodo model in particular is an ergonomic wonder and has design versatility more than just about any small blade I've ever experienced.

There was one past Spyderco model that I would really like to see them do a Sprint Run and give the model a second chance>> I'm speaking of the D'Alton TOAD model. When it was still available you could get it in plain edge and Spyderedged both. I truly would like to match up the TOAD model against the DODO which at this time I believe is Spyderco's best small folder ever.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JD,

I like the Dodo as well my friend but the handle excludes it IMO from LBK status. Blade yes, handle no. The handle is bigger than a Delica and that, to me, kick it out of consideration.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

twinboysdad wrote:JD,

I like the Dodo as well my friend but the handle excludes it IMO from LBK status. Blade yes, handle no. The handle is bigger than a Delica and that, to me, kick it out of consideration.

I agree.
I don't even think I'd consider Caly Jr, nor Caly 3 in the actual "LBK" category. More "mid-size".

The beauty of the LBK is that they carry very small, but pack a big punch! Honestly for 9 out of 10 people, any one of these LBK's mentioned here will take on any and all of the daily tasks one could need to accomplish with a folding knife.

JD, Nice mention of the Cricket. :)
If you like the Dodo, then of course the Cricket would be a great little coin pocket carrier!

And also the Mouse! I love the Wegner Mouse design. I have a couple of the Bladetech Mouse knockoffs.

Other worthy mentions (which I don't own unfortunately) that I am surprised haven't been brought up yet, may be the Schempp Balance, and Equilibrium.
Going back to Caly.
caitbwebs

Post by caitbwebs »

I love the small Spydies for sure! I've found that I almost never need a large blade, and the small options add that they are more people-friendly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more versions of the Urban, my favorite little big knife.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

SpeedHoles wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:JD,

I agree.
I don't even think I'd consider Caly Jr, nor Caly 3 in the actual "LBK" category. More "mid-size".

The beauty of the LBK is that they carry very small, but pack a big punch! Honestly for 9 out of 10 people, any one of these LBK's mentioned here will take on any and all of the daily tasks one could need to accomplish with a folding knife.

JD, Nice mention of the Cricket. :)
If you like the Dodo, then of course the Cricket would be a great little coin pocket carrier!

And also the Mouse! I love the Wegner Mouse design. I have a couple of the Bladetech Mouse knockoffs.

Other worthy mentions (which I don't own unfortunately) that I am surprised haven't been brought up yet, may be the Schempp Balance, and Equilibrium.
Totally agree on the Balance, I lusted after the CF for the longest time, they're actually pretty hard to find now, finally got a mint one about a year ago and wasn't disappointed.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."