Gent's folder with blade length slightly less than 2.5 inches

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ejcr98

Gent's folder with blade length slightly less than 2.5 inches

Post by ejcr98 »

Hi. I am new to the forum. Spyderco is my favorite pocket knife brand.

I am an attorney and want a gentleman's folder with a blade length less than 2.5 inches but as close to 2.5 inches as possible, so that I can legally take into federal facilities when I visit them for work. I would prefer CF scales and a compression lock (like a shrunken Sage 5 or sprint run of the older CF/S30V version of the Cat but with a compression lock)

Any suggestions? Anything like that on Spyderco's upcoming models?

Thanks,
The Deacon

Re: Gent's folder with blade length slightly less than 2.5 inches

Post by The Deacon »

I'd suggest keeping an eye out on eBay and forums where sales are allowed for an original (locking) Kiwi, either the all stainless version, or one of the four bolstered versions. I know they're not compression locks, but there is a CF version. Blade length is 2.375" and they're closer to what I'd call a true "gentleman's folder" as anything Spyderco has made before or since.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I don't think there is anything fitting all of those requirements. Which requirements would you be willing to back off on? Compression lock is a limited factor at this point.

The closest I can think of are:
Lil' Lum: 2.38", but not CF, not a comp lock, and not out yet.
Leafstorm: 2.44", but not CF, and framelock
Salsa: Comp lock, 2.45", but not CF and discontinued
Gayle Bradley Air: CF, but 2.55" Ti liner lock
Spin (sprint): Nishijin CF, 1.86", but framelock

Many other options if you con't care about CF and comp lock, such as the Dragonfly II

EDIT: Also the upcoming Vrango! 2.5", CF inlays on Ti scales, liner lock.
Last edited by hoimin on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Des Horn is a very sleek design with art deco flourishes, super lightweight, and reasonably priced on most secondary markets...plus the G10 looks A LOT like carbon fiber! Downside, it is a bit over 3" and the tip is quite fine:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=673
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

I don't mind if its not CF, I just want it to be nicer looking than FRN or regular G-10 but keep it as light as possible (no wood or metal scales), since I would carry it to work (slacks and dress shirt or suit and tie). It doesn't need to be a compression lock but I prefer it. I have a PM2 and really like that lock.

The blade length cannot be equal to or greater than 2.5 inches, as otherwise it falls under the statute's definition of "dangerous weapon" and may not be taken inside a federal facility.

I could do with an old CF/S30V version of the Cat, which is a liner lock, but that was discontinued for quality issues (as far as I know) so that I don't feel comfortable getting one in the secondary markets.

I love de DF2 and have three versions (ZDP-189, H-1, and Orange) but don't like the color of the G-10 version.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome aboard, man! :)

I'll echo the recommendation for the Leaf Storm, Kiwi, and Air. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of smaller comp locks out there...yet. ;) IMHO, the Air is a fantastic gents knife and would likely work perfectly as a suit and tie knife. As hominin noted, it is a shade over 2.5", so it may not be your first choice. As Paul mentioned, the original Kiwi is another fantastic choice, but they are tough to find. Bento Box still has some of the original Kiwis if you are interested, but they are a bit pricey: http://www.bentoboxshop.com
You may also like the Kopa model as its blade length is at 2.438". Hope this helps and welcome to the Spyderco Addiction! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Michael, I will also keep an eye out for the Rhino. It seems to fit my criteria (except for the handle material), and it is one cool blade.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

ejcr98 wrote:Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Michael, I will also keep an eye out for the Rhino. It seems to fit my criteria (except for the handle material), and it is one cool blade.
Thanks man! :) I could likely make some CF scales for you... :D

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
PiggyBackJack

Post by PiggyBackJack »

Have you looked at the Pingu? The standard version is pretty plain but there's a titanium sprint that looks pretty sweet. Also, there are many third party custom scales for the Pingu. Great little slippie imo, even though it doesn't really fit all your criteria.
QM on the S/Y Modesty under Captain T.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Maybe the Spyderco Roadie at 2.09" and sculpted G10. But if that floats your boat, you're basically in barlow/slip joint territory and outside of Spyderco.

If I were in your situation, and replete with money, I'd snub down an Air to meet the <2.5" limit (like a gentle reverse tanto).

Or jump on that CF Rhino!
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

That CF Rhino option sounds awesome.

The Lil' Lum also seems a possible choice although no CF and no compression lock.

Any idea as to when the Rhino will be available and what steel it's going to be in?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

ejcr98 wrote:That CF Rhino option sounds awesome.

The Lil' Lum also seems a possible choice although no CF and no compression lock.

Any idea as to when the Rhino will be available and what steel it's going to be in?
Hi ejcr98,
The last I heard, Sal and Eric were still considering steel options for the Rhino. I'm hopeful we'll hear something about that soon. I'm also not certain when it will be available for purchase, but hopefully it will be soon too. :)

sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

While you're waiting, you might consider the byrd Robin 2 in stainless, all black, G10 or titanium. It's a very useful knife with a 2.38" blade.

Last edited by sparky2016 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
naddysaad

Post by naddysaad »

Definitely gayle Bradley air!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

naddysaad wrote:Definitely gayle Bradley air!
Welcome to the forum naddysaad, and couldnt agree more on the air, what a sweet little blade it is, too bad they disco'd it :(
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Just to let you know a guy on Bladeforums is selling a C22 CF Walker that is a beautiful knife. I have no relationship with the seller, just a fan of the Walker. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... f-Spydie-s

http://spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C ... ael_Walker
Last edited by Qcrazy on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

farnorthdan wrote:
naddysaad wrote:Definitely gayle Bradley air!
Welcome to the forum naddysaad, and couldnt agree more on the air, what a sweet little blade it is, too bad they disco'd it :(
It's not compliant with the only firm requirement in the OP - a 2.5" blade so it can be carried in a Federal building.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

ejcr98 wrote:Hi. I am new to the forum. Spyderco is my favorite pocket knife brand.

I am an attorney and want a gentleman's folder with a blade length less than 2.5 inches but as close to 2.5 inches as possible, so that I can legally take into federal facilities when I visit them for work. I would prefer CF scales and a compression lock (like a shrunken Sage 5 or sprint run of the older CF/S30V version of the Cat but with a compression lock)

Any suggestions? Anything like that on Spyderco's upcoming models?

Thanks,

Welcome. Is the 2.5" requirement for the entire blade or just the cutting portion. What's your intended usage for the knife? It may matter in what folks suggest.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Qcrazy wrote:Just to let you know a guy on Bladeforums is selling a C22 CF Walker that is a beautiful knife. I have no relationship with the seller, just a fan of the Walker. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... f-Spydie-s

http://spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C ... ael_Walker
Just over the 2.5" mark :(
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

The intended use is normal edc stuff: opening packages, cutting string, light food prep.

The blade length may not be equal to 2.5 inches or greater. The way the statute is written is that it prohibits the carrying of a dangerous weapon in a federal facility and then excludes from the definition of a dangerous weapon any common pocket knife (whatever that means) with a blade length of less than 2.5 inches.

The statute doesn't distinguish between total blade length and cutting edge, so I read to refer to total blade length. Because the statute requires that the blade length be less than 2.5 inches, if the blade length is 2.5 inches then it falls within the definition of a dangerous weapon.