Thanks for recommending C101PDBL2 Manix.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Thanks for recommending C101PDBL2 Manix.

Post by Bolster »

This is a general thank-you to the forum for recommending I purchase a Manix 2 S110V. The knife just arrived and I'm amazed you can get this much premium steel into < 3 ounces, and a hard-use lock on top of it! What a package. Really pleased with the knife and appreciate the guidance I got here. Will work great for backpacking. However I may just pocket it for general use IF I find that a low-ride wire clip (such as on a Caly) will fit it.

Getting the knife wasn't easy, and if you have time, stick around for the back story. I ordered the knife weeks ago via Amazon and the "worst case scenario" happened; USPS said they delivered the knife to my office, and no knife ever materialized in my mail slot. I know the office staff well and just can't bring myself to suspect any of the women who handle the mail. Neither are they prone to misfiling; in 2 years I've never gotten anybody else's mail or lost a package. The package itself did not have "knife" or "cutlery" in the return address or anywhere else; it would have been a generic looking package. I was tense about this, who wants to lose a Ben Franklin. I contacted the Amazon seller Top Quality Knives (I believe they were formerly The Spyderco Store), and we agreed it would be smart to wait a week to see if anything surfaced. It didn't. So a week later TQK resent another Manix via Priority Mail (no charge) and it's now in my pocket. In case you missed it, TQK believed ME over the USPS! Wow! They could have just said they had proof of delivery and washed their hands of me.
Bolster

Re: Thanks for recommending C101PDBL2 Manix.

Post by Bolster »

Now I have a grave decision to make. For backpacking, which is the better choice? A 2.8 oz Manix in S110V, or a 4.0 oz Eskabar in D2? Which would you take, and why?

Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Take both, you can never have enough knives :)

Put the Eskabar in your pack and the Manix in your pocket, use one for food prep and the other for general chores :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

The low-ride clip will fit, but it will rest on the textured part of the handle and could accelerate wear on your trouser pocket.
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

As much as I love the Eskabar, if weight is a concern, keep the Manix in your pocket and put a Mora in your pack!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

For camping take the fixed blade. If you were merely hiking for the day I would take the Manix (maybe). A good fixed blade is invaluable in the wilderness. Take a fire starter and some tinder, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Doc Dan wrote:For camping take the fixed blade. If you were merely hiking for the day I would take the Manix (maybe). A good fixed blade is invaluable in the wilderness. Take a fire starter and some tinder, too.
Good point. One time I was about 15 miles from the trailhead and my knee started to hurt quite a bit. I needed a makeshift staff to hike out, and all I was carrying was a Caly3.5. I wasn't about to baton a staff to size with it, so I hiked out with a very long as-found staff, more like a flagpole. But here's the deal. That's the one and only time I ever wished I could baton with a knife, or had a hatchet. Otherwise 98% of my backpacking jobs can be done with a folder.

Tinder: yes. I'm one of those dweebs who carries a mix of lint and vasoline in a straw, cauterized at both ends.
Holz wrote:The low-ride clip will fit, but it will rest on the textured part of the handle and could accelerate wear on your trouser pocket.
Aha, excellent, just want I needed to know. Will leave the existing clip on, thanks.
Johnnie wrote:Take both, you can never have enough knives.
Heresy! I finally got my base pack weight down to 12-13 lbs; I can only afford one knife in my weight budget! That's why losing a WHOLE OUNCE over the Eskabar is a big deal!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TheOutdoorNerd wrote:As much as I love the Eskabar, if weight is a concern, keep the Manix in your pocket and put a Mora in your pack!
Why? A light Mora + sheath and this Eskabar + sheath weigh the same (4 oz), and the Mora has a low saber grind, for which I have a particular distaste.

I'd love to see Spyderco take on the challenge of an ultralight fixed blade outdoor knife, targeting around 3 to 3.5 oz with sheath. It could be done.
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Here's my setup. Weight isn't usually an issue since I EDC a 4x4 Suburban.

Sometimes I travel light for the weekend at the lake or something close to home. I could go down to a Dragonfly or Manbug if I need to.

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Those are righteous photos ... and knives!
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Bolster wrote:Those are righteous photos ... and knives!
Thanks for the kind words!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bolster wrote:
TheOutdoorNerd wrote:As much as I love the Eskabar, if weight is a concern, keep the Manix in your pocket and put a Mora in your pack!
Why? A light Mora + sheath and this Eskabar + sheath weigh the same (4 oz), and the Mora has a low saber grind, for which I have a particular distaste.

I'd love to see Spyderco take on the challenge of an ultralight fixed blade outdoor knife, targeting around 3 to 3.5 oz with sheath. It could be done.
Spyderco makes the Bill Moran fixed blade series. Ultra light weight and has a rat tail half tang like the much loved Mora.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

A Swiss army knife with a saw would save your folder from batoning while being lightweight and versatile. I like to have duplicates of important items, especially knives and means of starting a fire.