History Channel: "Forged in Fire" Anyone Else Watching??

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
enduraguy

History Channel: "Forged in Fire" Anyone Else Watching??

Post by enduraguy »

Caught a marathon this morning and I'm hooked. It's like "Chopped" with bladesmiths of varying degrees of experience competing to make different edged weapon types.
Evil D

Re: History Channel: "Forged in Fire" Anyone Else Watching??

Post by Evil D »

Sounds fun...I'll check it out.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I've been watching it for awhile. Quite good, actually.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

It's a pretty good show. It's interesting to see the different home forges of some of the participants.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I've been watching since the first episode, amazing what these guys can do in such a short amount of time, I especially like the testing the judges do to the blades, really makes you cringe.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

It's interesting to watch just to see the guys doing the actual work of forging and grinding. The narrating and announcing is pretty cheezy, and they use the word "weapon" too much. I'm sorry to see so many of the contestants not pace themselves and run out of time. They also seem to generate a lot of cracks in their blades.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Horrifically bad show (typical reality TV). It is a very poor representation of what knifemakers and bladesmiths do. If you check some of the knife making forums then you will find most of the makers feel the same way.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

OldHoosier62 wrote:Horrifically bad show (typical reality TV). It is a very poor representation of what knifemakers and bladesmiths do. If you check some of the knife making forums then you will find most of the makers feel the same way.
*******I'll second that!!!!!*******Doc :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Haha, yes. I found it silly too. Scripted show masquerading as reality.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The entire concept of it goes against what I consider Bladesmiths are all about. That show wants these Bladesmiths to concoct a super high quality product in a very short time. To me that just goes against the grain of what custom knifemaking and Swordmaking are all about :mad: How can you have a super high quality product under such restricted time slots :confused:

I'm not sure that it isn't just what we call "Reality TV" :( I suspect it is.

I will admit that I found the first two episodes interesting to a point. But I got to thinking about the very slim time limits in which they had to make a high quality blade/weapon and it just doesn't make sense to me at all :confused:

On another note I noticed that on the Science Channel they had Lynn Thompson ( Cold Steel Knives CEO) doing a cutting exhibition>> I didn't get to see the show itself but along with this FORGED IN FIRE Show I thought that the timing of it is certainly suspect :rolleyes: