Spydies on the Torrey Lake Ranch (Wyoming) in July 2015

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
GoldenSpydie

Spydies on the Torrey Lake Ranch (Wyoming) in July 2015

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Here's a collection of pictures that I will be updating with new ones whenever I get the chance. All of these (unless stated otherwise) were taken on our ranch in Wyoming, near the town of Dubois. Our ranch includes the hills and meadows west of Ring, Torrey, and Julia Lakes in the Torrey Creek drainage of the Northern Wind River Mountains. It's a beautiful place, and I thought that you all might enjoy some pictures from this summer's trip. We will be up here for a month, so expect plenty of pictures. Feel free to stop into this thread and let me know if you enjoy the pictures! :)

Here's the Manix 2 Cruwear on rocks looking north over our property alongside Torrey Lake; the Ramshorn in the Absorka range is the blue mountain in the background.

The Gayle Bradley is such a photogenic knife. Here it is with the blue Wyoming sky below one of our ridges:

Gayle Bradley with the famous orange lichen:

Caly Jr. on the trailer:

Serrated Military in 440V with lichen and Absorkas:

jabba359

Re: Spydies on the Torrey Lake Ranch (Wyoming) in July 2015

Post by jabba359 »

I think you might find it difficult to narrow your options down to only one picture for the next calendar contest. Excellent photography as always!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Fantastic pictures, I always look forward to seeing what you post next.

Dan
GoldenSpydie

Re: Spydies on the Torrey Lake Ranch (Wyoming) in July

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks Kyle and Dan. :)

Sage 1 on lichen stump over the water (heavily edited in Photoshop)

Unedited

Orange Dragonfly 2 with a real dragonfly that had just crawled out of the water

Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BTG

Post by BTG »

The double dragonfly pic is awesome, how ironic...cool...hate your pics though, make me realize how badly mine suck....kidding....not about mine sucking, they do...you should/could make your calendar though, great shots.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks BTG.

Manix 2 lightweight S110V on juniper tree over the lake

Gayle Bradley M4, Manix 2 lightweight S110V, Military 440V with lichen

Manix 2 lightweight S110V on stump with spruce branches

2015 Forum Native 5 Lightweight in S90V and maroon FRN

Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Golden, could we see forum knife photo #3 without the colored border? I'd love to use it for a background!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I went for a ~11 mile mountain bike ride today from our cabins on Torrey Lake down to Whiskey Basin, up a 30% grade to the top of a granite outcrop/overlook, and back. It was a great day, and lots of fun. I took plenty of pictures... :D

2015 Forum Native on bike handlebar--Torrey Lake is the largest lake in the background; Lake Julia and the Duck Pond are partially hidden behind the Native's handle; the Absorka Mountains are in the background

2015 Forum Native silhouette over Arrow Mountain

Sage 1 in black and white on a stump

Orange Dragonfly near the outcrop (yes it was dirty, and yes I have now cleaned it)

Caly Jr. on a different stump with some cool wood grain

2015 Forum Native at the edge of the granite cliffs--the wind was howling at about 40 mph and I nearly lost the knife off of a 30-foot cliff while taking this picture :eek:

2015 Forum Native with some glacial rocks and some trees on one of our hills

Thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoyed the pictures as much as I enjoyed the bike ride! :)
BTG

Post by BTG »

Kind of a MTN Bike fan myself, (first love).A little more bike in the pic would be cool, IMHO.
Last edited by BTG on Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

BTG wrote:Kind of a MTN Bike fan myself, (first love).A little more bike in the pic would be cool, IMHO.
I'll keep that in mind next time...

If you don't mind, could you please remove the duplicate image links from my quote in your post above? (I (and I'm sure others) find it a little bit annoying to scroll past unnecessary duplicate pictures, especially because they take extra time to load. Just for clarification, I'm talking about the pictures that I posted and which you quoted.

2015 Forum Native 5 S90V with a trout I just caught in the rapids near our cabin...the fish was cleaned with the Spydie

BTG

Post by BTG »

Oops sorry, I'm not to good with computers, how do I go about doing that, and how can I avoid doing it in the first place....if trying to reply to a particular post, do you still just do (post reply), would I use the words GoldenSpydie, in my reply (like on Facebook) so it would know who I'm replying to?...I tried to Delete some Double posts I put up once, couldn't figure it out..sorry again..

Well it looks like I figured the deleting part out, now just how to avoid doing it in the future....anyone else I've messed up let me know where, I think I might have been doing this all along, (SORRY) don't know where to start cleaning up my mess..
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

BTG wrote:how can I avoid doing it in the first place
No problem--thanks for changing it! :)

When you quote a post that either contains a lot of text or pictures, you can go in and delete it (SHIFT --> select --> DELETE). To get rid of quoted images, delete the links inside the [img]...[/img] tags inside of a quote. You have to quote a post for the poster to be notified that you commented, but in threads where the original poster is likely to return (such as this one), quotes are fine but usually unnecessary.

ETA: PMed you. :)
Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Thanks, took a little more figuring, but managed to get the pics off too, at first it wouldn't do it...was neglecting to go to attachments and delete at that level...I think I got it now.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I caught this fairly large trout this morning in Torrey Lake about 20 feet from our cabin. It was perfectly calm, and I saw it swimming around from up high (we're fixing our roof). I climbed down the ladder and tried a few casts--and what do you know, we're having trout for dinner. :D My 2015 Native 5 Forum Knife (very sharp straight off of the UF bench stone) did a great job of cutting open and gutting the fish shortly after this picture was taken. Let me know what you think!

BTG

Post by BTG »

Good story, nice fish, great knife, cool picture...even a touch of maroon on the fish.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I think it's a great picture, fish and knife! But by the look on that trout's face...I'd say he's not a fan. ;)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks guys.

Here are some Spydie pictures from a recent trip in the Fitzpatrick Wilderness in the northern Wind Rivers. There is an accompanying trip report in Off Topic. :)

2015 Forum Native 5 with Bomber Lake/Spider Peak

Paramilitary 2 at Lake 10,359 with Spider Peak on the left

PM2 and the GPS I used to navigate off trail

N5 silhouette over the West Torrey Glacier and Ross Lake

N5 at sunset at Mile Long Lake outlet

N5 with the Continental Glacier

PM2 at Soapstone Lake

PM2 above "Sheep Tarn" at the headwaters of the Wasson Fork