Other Ways To Carry Your Spyderco Folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Boar-gen

Other Ways To Carry Your Spyderco Folder?

Post by Boar-gen »

Hi Team,

Most of the time I carry the folder clipped in the pocket. But sometimes I use Spec-Ops Super Sheath or Maxpedition Flashlight Sheath. Both are great, but since I prefer a vertical mounting it's not as convenient to carry as I would like it to be.

I am thinking about making a low riding custom leather sheath for my Yojimbo 2 to mount on a belt, but before I jump into such project I would like to check what you guys are using- so I can get some ideas?

Thanks!

Boar-gen
Michael Janich

Re: Other Ways To Carry Your Spyderco Folder?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Boar-gen:

Although pocket carry is my standard, when I carry on a belt I like to use a good quality leather magazine pouch made for single-stack mags. They are a great off-the-shelf solution and typically include tension screws to adjust the security of the fit. Depending upon the style, you can also do some aftermarket wet molding to achieve a custom fit.

There are many good brands, but I like these off-duty pouches from Aker: http://akerleather.com/off-duty-accesso ... uches.html" target="_blank.

Stay safe,

Mike
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've come to really like carrying small folders in a neck sheath. This location provides the easiest access to the knife no matter what position I'm in. Clipped in a pocket or down in my pocket requires a little moving when in a sitting position or worse yet if I'm in the car (passenger seat). I don't care for small fixed blades for neck carry because I might stab myself when sheathing the thing. If I use a belt sheath I do like it to be rigged so the knife and sheath is dropped a little lower than my belt. I don't like a belt sheath that has the belt go through the back of the sheath in the center. I like the belt loop to be higher, at the top of the knife when sheathed. Personal preference. But a neck sheath for my D'fly or Manbug is great. Anything larger is a bit big to be dangling on my chest. If I don't want it visible I just drop it inside my shirt.

Jack
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

I generally carried clipped in pocket, deep clip whenever possible ... some knives lend themselves better to "in pocket" carry (generally the smaller knives) ... however, whenever I carry my FRN Native, it is clipless in right back pocket (with a bandana on the outside to keep it from printing and ensure it stays put) - slim profile and lightweight make it a perfect back pocket knife, and it is very easy to draw that way ... for times when I'm in a suit, my Caly 3 ZDP rides clipless in left inside jacket pocket - you'd never even know it was there ...

Interested in seeing sheath options you guys use ...

~ edge
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

During this cold spell we are having here in Kansas City, Missouri ( misery) :D USA Earth I've been wearing my bib overalls a lot here lately for obvious reasons and I've been carrying my SE 440V Native in my upper chest pocket and it rides really well there. That way I'm able to comfortably carry 3 Spyders instead of 2.

Don't laugh at bib overalls even though many consider them hillbilly, Elmer Fudd type clothing :eek: For utility purposes they are ideal for anyone using pocketclip folders. On most brands of bib overalls there is a side pocket on the right leg ( some brands have one of the left leg too) that you could carry a small fixed blade like a Streetbeat.

There are also really nice work jeans made by Carhartt and Round House that also have utility pockets which are ideal. I've just recently scored another brand of clothing called "Blakladder" and they are truly a workman's dream. I'm truly about to switch loyalty from Carhartt to Blakladder for that reason.

But truly the type of clothing ( especially work clothes) can facilitate you being able to carry your Spyders much better IMO.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would never laugh at bib overalls. I knew a man who carried a large folding knife and a full sized 1911 in his.

Back to OP, let us know what you come up with. I have seen some ingenious designs, like shirt button attachment. Some have come up with springs for their sleeves. I used to carry a knife behind my large belt buckle. Now, I simply drop mine in my pocket.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Normally I only carry my Spydercos loose in my back pocket, but lately I've been experimenting and carrying an FRN Stretch clipped IWB in the small of my back when I walk Bear, to free up that pocket for other things.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

The Deacon wrote:Normally I only carry my Spydercos loose in my back pocket, but lately I've been experimenting and carrying an FRN Stretch clipped IWB in the small of my back when I walk Bear, to free up that pocket for other things.
That's an interesting idea - there are times when I carry other things as well ...
adairjs

Post by adairjs »

I picked up some little leather holsters on eBay. They have pocket clips, so you can clip them inside the top of your pocket and insert a clipless folder, instead of having to fish around in your pocket. Only really useful for one or two of my knives.

It would be nice if there were leather or nylon sheaths that you could attach to your jeans' belt loop. I don't wear a belt, and all the sheaths seem to be designed to slip a belt through a vertical slot. Something with a wide, but short, horizontal strip that wraps behind the belt loop and then across the front of the sheath would be great, velcro or something maybe...
sdedalus83

Post by sdedalus83 »

A clipless dragonfly works great in a coin pocket.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.
RobC2

Post by RobC2 »

I have a couple of custom sheaths that I had made that allow both vertical and horizontal carry. That is primarily how I carry my Para 2. I have been thinking of using a Remora mag holster in my pocket, but haven't tried it yet.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

sdedalus83 wrote:A clipless dragonfly works great in a coin pocket.
+1 on this :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

The only time I carry a knife other than clipped in my right front pocket is if I already have a knife clipped in that pocket and I'm carrying a second knife. I have a kydex neck sheath for a big folder but I've never tried using it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When it comes to belt sheaths I've been using the Victorinox Belt Sheaths made from Cordura and they are excellent for the price. I know that Maxpedition has some excellent quality carrying items but their stuff is pretty pricey for what you get most of the time.

Victoninox also has what I believe to be the best fanny packs on the market today. I have a few of their fanny packs and one of their back packs and again for the price these things are excellent for using, storing and carrying.

Also BUCK sells a lot of their belt sheaths separately too. I've never had any problem with BUCK's accessories.
Boar-gen

Post by Boar-gen »

Michael Janich wrote:Dear Boar-gen:

Although pocket carry is my standard, when I carry on a belt I like to use a good quality leather magazine pouch made for single-stack mags. They are a great off-the-shelf solution and typically include tension screws to adjust the security of the fit. Depending upon the style, you can also do some aftermarket wet molding to achieve a custom fit.

There are many good brands, but I like these off-duty pouches from Aker: http://akerleather.com/off-duty-accesso ... uches.html" target="_blank.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thank you Mike! That's clearly something to think about!

Boar-gen
Boar-gen

Post by Boar-gen »

JD Spydo wrote:When it comes to belt sheaths I've been using the Victorinox Belt Sheaths made from Cordura and they are excellent for the price. I know that Maxpedition has some excellent quality carrying items but their stuff is pretty pricey for what you get most of the time.

Victoninox also has what I believe to be the best fanny packs on the market today. I have a few of their fanny packs and one of their back packs and again for the price these things are excellent for using, storing and carrying.

Also BUCK sells a lot of their belt sheaths separately too. I've never had any problem with BUCK's accessories.
Interesting you are mentioning fanny packs! I was thinking of the Maxpedition OCTA™ VERSIPACK® (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/OCT ... -3p433.htm" target="_blank). It has 4 outer pockets and the hidden pocket closest to the body could be perfect for Yojimbo 2.... Then I can though in all my other EDC stuff in the fanny pack also...

Boar-gen
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Here's my usual EDC of the Para 2. They are Dultuh's firehose pants and are pretty heavy. Lots of pockets, so this was the logical place for me. With a Para 2 in the top pocket, it's too difficult to get at change or my pen so this was a better way to carry. There are enough pockets to carry way too many knives, but it would be good exercise. While these pants are "expensive" compared to jeans, they go on sale once or twice a year, so with the discount & free shipping it's worth the price. They last a long time.