Contoured handles?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like to see more knives with contoured handles?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 34

nirvanero

Contoured handles?

Post by nirvanero »

After reading the mid-tech thread I was thinking I'd love to see more contoured/3D machined handles like the Zulu or Lionspy, but it seems there is no much interest for them. Would you also like to see them in your favorite models? By the way, two-color G-10 it's very nice!
Last edited by nirvanero on Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin

Re: Contoured handles?

Post by paladin »

I love them...much better than plain peel ply...yes please! :D :spyder: :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like subtle contours, like the Slysz Bowie, or the LionSpy. But I'm not a huge fan of the deep sculpted G-10 like the Zulu. I'm waiting for the fluted CF Para 2.
:bug-red-white
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I like the contoured handles on the Navaja, too.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

nirvanero wrote:After reading the mid-tech thread I was thinking I'd love to see more contoured/3D machined handles like the Zulu or Lionspy, but it seems there is no much interest for them. Would you also like to see them in your favorite models? By the way, two-color G-10 it's very nice!
It's funny you should mention this, because I swear I was just thinking about this very thing earlier today. Even if they are only offered in a single color, the contoured handles are not only very comfortable but are also very pleasing to the eye. I would love to see more contours!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

nirvanero wrote:After reading the mid-tech thread I was thinking I'd love to see more contoured/3D machined handles
I like a little bit of contour and polish like the Vallotton.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

bdblue wrote:
nirvanero wrote:After reading the mid-tech thread I was thinking I'd love to see more contoured/3D machined handles
I like a little bit of contour and polish like the Vallotton.
Yeah, contoured and polished handle materials such as the Vallotton or Rubicon are beautiful.

I do also like the 3D machined look of the Lionspy, looks nice and provide texture.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

SpyderNut wrote:It's funny you should mention this, because I swear I was just thinking about this very thing earlier today. Even if they are only offered in a single color, the contoured handles are not only very comfortable but are also very pleasing to the eye. I would love to see more contours!
I guess we've seen too many mods but just a few production models with non ordinary scales. I hope Sal read this and thinks about it!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'd like a machined aluminum handled Spydie. I really dislike the cheapie look of the multi colored G10 though. Sorry. The Anso pattern is SO overused by now, too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

We're working on a few models with slightly contoured handles, but still a ways off.

sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

nirvanero wrote:After reading the mid-tech thread I was thinking I'd love to see more contoured/3D machined handles like the Zulu or Lionspy, but it seems there is no much interest for them. Would you also like to see them in your favorite models? By the way, two-color G-10 it's very nice!
I am totally with you. Knives with peel-ply flat G10 scales are great for a pocket carry, but handles with contoured machined scales much better in the hand. For me Ti Fluted Native5 feels better in the hand than any other Native5. I love my Caly3.5, But Persian feels better due to a thicker handle and big R on the corners.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:We're working on a few models with slightly contoured handles, but still a ways off.
sal
This is great. Is any chance for Shaman to receive such treatment?
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I have a BM 484 Nakamura and love the handle.....I would like to see a Endura/Delica with this type of handle.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yes yes yes. I've been asking for a Perrin PPT sprint for a while now, and almost picked up a zulu just because of the contoured handles (just didn't dig the blade shape). I'm a fan of peel ply, but the functionally sculpted g10 handles are really awesome and add some real visual interest to the knife. Obviously it should fit with the overall design, but I for one would definitely pay the premium for sculpted g10.

Also, it's worth mentioning that I love the contoured handles of the D'allara. It's a different thing than sculpted g10, but the palm swell makes it feel phenomenal in hand. I know it doesn't carry well, but I'll deal with it if I know I'm going to be using it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Screwdriver wrote:I have a BM 484 Nakamura and love the handle.....I would like to see a Endura/Delica with this type of handle.
Ditto.

The grooves make a perfect grip without making the handle too busy.

I've actually been really impressed with this little knife. I'm really looking forward to a Sage with a CBBL, and bought this in the meantime, but BM has a real winner there.
remnar

Post by remnar »

tvenuto wrote:Yes yes yes. I've been asking for a Perrin PPT sprint for a while now...
Yes for contours and YES for a PPT. :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I voted yes for ones with strategically swelled handles like the Native3. The Zulu is awesome looking but in hand it doesn't work for me (personally).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is the one area that I have major knife envy for the ZT line.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

YES please!

The handles on the Bowie and the Rubicon are awesome, the fluted machining is also very nice. I do want to see more contoured handles.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like textured scales. Lately I've been getting them from Lionsteel/DPx. Here are two pictures of the two sides of my Elmax HEAT.

G-10 side

Titanium side
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!