Ronin 2 Prototype

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
3Speedyfish3

Ronin 2 Prototype

Post by 3Speedyfish3 »

[ATTACH]23639[/ATTACH]

I was able to examine a Ronin 2 prototype at Blade Show 2014. This is an image I digitally altered from my Yojimbo 2 to look like the Ronin 2 I handled at Blade. It is not exact, but it is darn close to the proto.

More here: http://bladebarrelbezel.com/2014/06/28/ ... prototype/

Mr. Janich had no word on when or if the Ronin 2 would be produced, but I am heartened to see a prototype. I'll buy a couple if they come into production.
Attachments
Spyderco Ronin 2 Ghost copy.jpg
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

A little larger than the Yojimbo 2 sounds great. I find myself wishing my Yo2 was just a bit bigger sometimes. I'd buy the ronin in a heartbeat. Thanks for the image and description. So much waiting when your a spyderco fan lol. It's part of the fun though.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Ned

Post by Ned »

Exciting! :)
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
JD Spydo

Ronin 2?? Bring it on!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

OK here is the proof of what I've been saying for a few months now>> that is the fact that Spyderco is truly making huge strides in the fixed blade market. And this RONIN model is a prime example of what I've been talking about for some time now because when the Ronin had it's first run it was misunderstood and highly un-appreciated like many other fixed blade models that Spyderco ran on their first stint.

What's been extremely interesting is that almost every fixed blade model with possibly one or 2 minor exceptions is that when they are deleted from the line up they almost immediately become icons of the Afi and Collector communities. It's been virtually impossible to find a first run VG-10 RONIN model with the original sheath for some time now. And every time I mention the RONIN to one of my Spyder pals or knife brethren they immediately say >> DO YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN GET ONE OF THOSE????

I'll be standing in line when they release this one. The RONIN 2 will be a box office success I'm completely certain of it.

Spyderco's fixed blades are now almost as coveted as their top of the line folders have been for a couple of decades now. RONIN 2??? BRING IT ON!!!
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

will buy buy at least three.
Zozo*HC*

Post by Zozo*HC* »

I need one so bad :)
No sacrifice, No victory!
JD Spydo

Ronin 2: A Sure success

Post by JD Spydo »

There was one huge advantage even to the first RONIN they released over a decade ago. It's blade length is so short that it complies with several state's laws thus allowing you to carry one for it's intended uses. We are blessed here in Missouri to be allowed a folder with a blade not exceeding 4 inches in length. Well that covers about 95% of all the folders I ever carry or ever will. And in the rural areas of Missouri I've carried my Temperance 1 fully exposed in several public places and I never once had any problems.

I'm hoping that River City Sheaths will have a sheath where you can carry it on your ankle. This is great news and I'm glad for many of the newer brethren who never could land one of the original models.
fifthprofession47

Post by fifthprofession47 »

I am definately in for a couple of these! I hope Mike has the prototype at MBC camp this summer!!
"One is none and two is one"

Martial Blade Concepts - Certified Instructor

http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

fifthprofession47 wrote:I am definately in for a couple of these! I hope Mike has the prototype at MBC camp this summer!!
Maybe it will be the Camp knife? Oh, wait the Camp knife is going to be a carbon fiber Yo 2 with S90V or Damascus.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Damascus?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Damascus?
Wouldn't that be whacky? Actually Damascus would probably work better with ebony scales. I'm being silly of course.
DelicateEndurance

Post by DelicateEndurance »

Are you kidding me? I'm getting one! :)

I just hope that the sheath fits the Yojimbo as well.
fifthprofession47

Post by fifthprofession47 »

JohnAPA wrote:Maybe it will be the Camp knife? Oh, wait the Camp knife is going to be a carbon fiber Yo 2 with S90V or Damascus.
I don't believe this is correct unless something has changed...
"One is none and two is one"

Martial Blade Concepts - Certified Instructor

http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yojimbo 2.5 would be insane. Give me 3.5 inches in that knife and I'd be in wharnie heaven.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MCM

Post by MCM »

Looking forward to this one! The #1 was my 1st Spyderco! :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

3Speedyfish3 wrote:[ATTACH]23639[/ATTACH]I was able to examine a Ronin 2 prototype at Blade Show 2014. This is an image I digitally altered from my Yojimbo 2 to look like the Ronin 2 I handled at Blade. It is not exact, but it is darn close to the proto.
That's great, Speedyfish! Nice pic! Since we can't take pictures of the prototype case - we have to make our own! :)

I always take a little notebook to the show so I can make note of the models I'm interested in. I sketched a little picture of the Gayle Bradley 2 this year - but I'll spare you guys and not post it. I work better with wood than a pencil... :cool:

TedP
3Speedyfish3

Post by 3Speedyfish3 »

phillipsted wrote:That's great, Speedyfish! Nice pic! Since we can't take pictures of the prototype case - we have to make our own! :)

I always take a little notebook to the show so I can make note of the models I'm interested in. I sketched a little picture of the Gayle Bradley 2 this year - but I'll spare you guys and not post it. I work better with wood than a pencil... :cool:

TedP
Like you, I take notes at the Show, but when I got home I wished I had done a sketch of the profile. Still, I was pretty happy with my Photoshop-fu!
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Looks like one to watch for. Anyone know possible timing? Safe to assume mid to late '15 at the earliest?
JD Spydo

The RONIN 2 in SPYDEREDGE?? Why NOT!!??

Post by JD Spydo »

JohnAPA wrote:Maybe it will be the Camp knife? Oh, wait the Camp knife is going to be a carbon fiber Yo 2 with S90V or Damascus.
I don''t at all see anything wrong with using the "RONIN 2" as a camp knife when it gets released. I know this is going to probably fall on deaf ears but I personally would really welcome a RONIN 2 for multiple purposes if they will also make it available in Spyderedge.

That's the reason I love the original FB-05 Temperance 1 model because it was one of the very few fixed blade knives geared for the outdoors that you could get it in Spyderedge. For that reason I'll probably never quit using my Temp 1 models in SE & PE. If they ever bring back the TEMP 1 in the H-1 Salt Series I'll probably shut up for a long time that is if they offer it in SE & PE like they did the first go around.

But to me the RONIN 2 would be an excellent camp and outdoor blade as well as a self defense blade if they would also make it available in SPYDEREDGE!!
MacLaren

Re: Ronin 2 Prototype

Post by MacLaren »

My question is why CTS-BD1?
Why not CPM-S30V or S110V?