Colored DLC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Colored DLC?

Post by Evil D »

Does it have to be black? :confused:

Of course, I love black, but it occurred to me that a colored blade might also be fun.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Rainbow colored? ;)

Just kidding, given that the "D" portion is usually the black sooty stuff, I'm not thinking getting colors into that would be very possible or likely. Anything colored would likely loose the necessary fraction of that material and thus poorly serve for that purpose (it would scratch much more easily). My two cents...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Bronze would be cool
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Olive drab handle and matching olive drab blade would be awesome on a para2. Or some other cool color green like forest green and I'm in. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

tiger stripes like on the zt0301
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Gross, lol. Sorry guys, but I hope this is one of those ideas that doesn't get any traction. :)
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Esee does this with their blades (but not in a DLC finish, so not nearly as durable), I'm not a huge fan of the pink Izula, but the venom green is OK. I tend to shy away from this type of blade in general, due to the scratching issues. Heck, I'm still not really warming up the the s.s. on the superblue series, but I love the steel for cutting. I guess I'm just a purist when it comes to blades and finish.

It's easy enough to keep a metal finish in good shape with just a bit of paste, polish & elbow grease, but with a coated blade things change. Nope, my vote is just for a proper steel (sort of like a Para 2 in S110V) & natural finish to go with it. A patina from daily use is fine. That having been said, variety is the spice of life and one man's poison is another man's high....
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Green with green micarta on my izula. Looks good to me.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd imagine the fastest way to get an answer regarding the feasibility of colors other than black would be to contact one or more of the companies that do DLC coating. And, based on the first half dozen replies, I suspect that if it is possible and a choice of colors exists, getting a consensus on what color to ask for will prove frustrating to those who care and amusing to those who don't.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:Gross, lol. Sorry guys, but I hope this is one of those ideas that doesn't get any traction. :)
Personally I'm not a fan of bright yellow and blue handles either. That's why there are so many options, we aren't required to buy them ;)
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

No colored version will be of equal resistance to true DLC, the colors of the chemistries involved pretty much won't allow for it unless you begin to explore much more exotic (and some of these radioactive!) materials. Cheers, (Dr.) Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I've been prowling the inter webs looking at Esee's, and I'm slowly inching towards buying one. Just haven't decided which model yet.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:Personally I'm not a fan of bright yellow and blue handles either. That's why there are so many options, we aren't required to buy them ;)
Agreed David, and I considered that before making such an opinionated response. I normally don't worry too much about colors and what not, but in this case I just find those colored blades so gaudy that it's a direction in which I would rather not see my favorite knife company go. Nothing personal to any of you who like the idea, just wanted to voice an opposing viewpoint.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Surfingringo wrote:Agreed David, and I considered that before making such an opinionated response. I normally don't worry too much about colors and what not, but in this case I just find those colored blades so gaudy that it's a direction in which I would rather not see my favorite knife company go. Nothing personal to any of you who like the idea, just wanted to voice an opposing viewpoint.
ETA: I used to have a similar opinion about the black DLC until I actually owned one and now I quite like them. So as usual, my opinion should be taken with a shaker of salt! :rolleyes: ;)

Edit of edit: I also apparently need to learn the difference between the "edit post" and "reply" button.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not saying I'd be looking for hot pink or neon green, but I wouldn't be opposed to something like the foliage green or even the dark blue on the new Manix. Definitely stick with subdued earth tone type colors.
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

You could ask nutn to do another run but you'd have to pay through the nose.... :D

Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

There are different colors available in Gun Kote, similarly to how Crusader Forge does their coatings. All of the GK colors are muted, low saturation drab military style colors. I wouldn't be against using matching colors such as Foliage Green G10 and Gun Kote (or Dark Earth/OD Green for that matter). Obviously it wouldn't be a true DLC coating, but just my suggestion.

Polished DLC would be nice, but wildly out of the realm of a production knife. Custom Marfiones and Rocksteads have amazing DLC work. As far as other colors of DLC, I only know of a bronze DLC.

Just a little eyecandy:

How can you say no to that?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Easy for me. I don't like coated blades. :D
Able Dog wrote:There are different colors available in Gun Kote, similarly to how Crusader Forge does their coatings. All of the GK colors are muted, low saturation drab military style colors. I wouldn't be against using matching colors such as Foliage Green G10 and Gun Kote (or Dark Earth/OD Green for that matter). Obviously it wouldn't be a true DLC coating, but just my suggestion.

Polished DLC would be nice, but wildly out of the realm of a production knife. Custom Marfiones and Rocksteads have amazing DLC work. As far as other colors of DLC, I only know of a bronze DLC.

Just a little eyecandy:

How can you say no to that?
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Easy for me. I don't like coated blades. :D
Fair enough :)
Ned

Post by Ned »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Easy for me. I don't like coated blades. :D
+1, none for me thank you. I will however take colorful handles, I really like yellow and especially blue!
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13