Delica smoothness

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pocket Lint

Delica smoothness

Post by Pocket Lint »

This has probably been hashed out here a lot, but I just wanted to say that after 8 years, my Delica just seems to get smoother and smoother. Maybe its the pivot screw tightness, but I can flick my Delica out with my middle finger fast and every single time. My new Endura, I can't. Is it the extra heft of the blade? The tighter pivot adjustment? Anyways, just enjoying my old Spydies still as whenI first bought them!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Nothing like a well broken-in tool! Looking forward to many years of happy use out of my spydiefriends.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The heft of the blade should make it easier to flick. The worn in knife is probably pretty polished by now. You could always adjust the pivot to the sweet spot of minimal play and ease of openability < New word. Lock backs seem to get smother with time because the metals wear each other down to a mirror finish or close enough to it. I have an Old Chinook 2 that came from the factory with almost a mirror polish on the blade where the lock bar contacts. Michael Janich would lap/polish the actions of the Jandura he was offering. Given time your endura will seem smoother and faster. Of course lock backs do better wet than dry.
Pocket Lint

Post by Pocket Lint »

Thanks for that VashHash! Although, isn't the Phosphor-Bronze washers meant to keep the blade and steel liners from rubbing and add a bit of smoothness? Wouldn't this negate your insight?

Thanks
Chris
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

My CAT is the smoothest opener I got!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Pocket Lint wrote:Maybe its the pivot screw tightness, but I can flick my Delica out with my middle finger fast and every single time.
I must have inappropriately sized fingers, because I just can't figure out how you all are doing this. That said, my SS Delica is super smooth and falls closed when the lock is pressed, and swings back and forth almost completely freely. Maybe the detent needs to wear in a little to get to middle-finger-flipping smooth. It's pretty new.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

If your Delica has side-to-side play then the pivot is probably a little loose. I just got a new Endura and I can easily flick it open with my index finger.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Pocket Lint wrote:Thanks for that VashHash! Although, isn't the Phosphor-Bronze washers meant to keep the blade and steel liners from rubbing and add a bit of smoothness? Wouldn't this negate your insight?

Thanks
Chris
PB washers are for the sides, where blade and liners rub each other. He's talking about constant friction between blade tang and lock surface. Both polished will result in very smooth actions!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

There is a lot of friction in my Delica and it won't flick out. Otherwise the knife operates smoothly. I don't have any need to flick my knives except for entertainment so I don't worry about it.
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

My orange delica us incredibly smooth. I was actually quite impressed with it. For some reason it's still not my goto knife. I find myself gravitating towards my manix2 and centofante 3 more.
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
Pocket Lint

Post by Pocket Lint »

Thanks for clarifying anagrika.

And from what I learned today now im ontemplating whether or not I should polish the lock mechanism in my endura :eek:
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

When my Delica was new it was pretty tight also. In the beginning I loosened the pivot screw and put a drop of oil in there, that helped a lot with smoothness and after a couple of weeks I re-tightened the pivot completely and it stayed almost the same. Now 7 months later it's even smoother and getting smoother all the time. You can now see where the liner has rubbed against the blade so for you I guess it's just a question of being patient and waiting for it to break in.
josemfuente

Post by josemfuente »

What an amazing tool! Mine is as smooth as the first day despite to having suffered a lot of abuse. Great design.