Rethinking the Domino?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Rethinking the Domino?

Post by gull wing »

When the first pictures came out of the Domino, I took out my First Gen Manix(w/lockback) and decided I don't need this size knife anymore(too beefy).
Lately, looking at the CTS-XHP steel, I would like to try it :) , I don't have one in XHP. I do love titanium frame locks. On the fence here :confused: .

Of course I could get a second Sage 2 (my old one has seen hard duty) a new one would be nice.

I should decide soon, they may be out of stock of the first wave.

:confused:
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I was on the same fence and went ahead and was even considering getting another Sage 2 as you are. I actually even swore I would never get one, but curiosity overruled and I ended up getting the Domino. I am really loving it. I'm actually surprised at how much I love it. It's just a wee bit larger than the Sage and is a **** near perfect EDC size blade for my tastes. I kind of think of it as a heavy duty Sage, or Sage HD if you will. All the refinement with a little more stoutness.

I'd say go ahead and get one if you can. You shouldn't have any trouble selling it and getting back what you paid for it if you don't like it.

EDIT: One other comparison: The blades have the same thickness but the pivot and body screws on the Domino are much larger than the ones on the Sage knives. To me this makes the domino feel a little stronger and stouter than the sage.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Domino really is a great knife. It packs a large, wide blade into a relatively narrow handle. The build quality is excellent.

A couple comparison photos with the Manix 2...

:bug-red-white
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

There's also the techno if you want a stout Ti framelock with XHP...
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Oh, the Techno, yes. :D Now you've really done it.

By the way, does the Domino have the ball bearings recessed into the pivot area as does the Brad Southard?
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

My domino arrives tomorrow. My biggest doubt for this knife is the carbon fiber. If its as glittery as that of the Gayle Bradley I will have to modify or replace the scale. Once I see it in person I'll know.
Henry - get both

gull wing wrote:Oh, the Techno, yes. :D Now you've really done it.

By the way, does the Domino have the ball bearings recessed into the pivot area as does the Brad Southard?
Yep. 8 bearings per side. Take a look at this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUzAtOcdIOg
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

gull wing wrote:When the first pictures came out of the Domino, I took out my First Gen Manix(w/lockback) and decided I don't need this size knife anymore(too beefy).
Lately, looking at the CTS-XHP steel, I would like to try it :) , I don't have one in XHP. I do love titanium frame locks. On the fence here :confused: .

Of course I could get a second Sage 2 (my old one has seen hard duty) a new one would be nice.

I should decide soon, they may be out of stock of the first wave.

:confused:
You should pick one up, I have carried and used mine for about a month and its a great knife. I was carrying a Tuff and it replaced that as my EDC. The quality is first class, I have not had to sharpen it yet, but to be fair I really haven't pushed it much, just everyday things, I cut up a few boxes the other day and its still just as sharp as new. The carbon fiber scale is a bit loud but it grows on you. The lock up is perfect and so is the detent, it flips with no wrist action at all once you find the sweet spot just like any knife. If I had to find something wrong I would like a little longer or wider handle, I have large hands and while it feels pretty good just a bit more would be perfect. I feel this will be my EDC for sometime unless they come out with a larger one that's about the only way I would replace it.
I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. Archilochus 650 BC.
Henry - get both

It was a two package kind of day :D

The carbon fiber is not as shiny as that of the Gayle Bradley so I'm a bit relieved...

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

gbelleh wrote:The Domino really is a great knife. It packs a large, wide blade into a relatively narrow handle. The build quality is excellent.

A couple comparison photos with the Manix 2...

Thanks for these pics, I've been needing a good comparison like this with a knife I'm really familiar with. One thing that makes me unsure about the Domino is whether my hand will fit behind the choil in a full grip like it will on the Manix 2 (or really close anyway, my pinky just barely rides the edge of that point on the bottom of the grip). That finger groove just behind the choil on the Domino (rather, behind the flipper lever when opened) looks much further down the handle than the same area is on the M2. Would you mind throwing up a pic of both of them open side by side?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jer

Post by jer »

Evil D wrote: a pic of both of them open side by side?
check page 3 post 59 of his "Ultimate EDC Rotation" thread a little further down on the general discussion page.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

do you know is the domino will be just limited.? i really need one, but to get the money together for the knife isn't that easy!
i think its possible to get it for about 240,- usd shipped to austria (europe)
the buy is a must, but do i have to do it now? or can i safe a little longer?
aogami super blue dragonfly!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Domino should be around for a while. I'm sure it's going to be a hit.

Here's the picture of the blades open.

I really don't think the grip would be an issue. The Domino doesn't have that little point sticking out, so your pinky can comfortably sit lower on the handle if it has to. Gripping the two handles, the Domino's is a little shorter, but only a little. Of course, the only way to know for sure is to hold one yourself.
:bug-red-white
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thank you all for the input, the photos are very helpful.
The photos show clearly, the Domino is just too wide for me to handle comfortably. It would just sit in the box like the my Manix does. I don't want that.

So, to fill my need for more titanium, I may buy another Sage 2 and "clean up" the "old" Sage 2, by stonewashing the scales, they look pretty bad. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Let's see pics of this beat up Sage. I'm betting it looks great in a well loved kind of way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David