We Lost Sheriff Taylor

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Water Bug

We Lost Sheriff Taylor

Post by Water Bug »

We lost Andy Griffith today :(

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-5 ... ead-at-86/

Really sad news. I really enjoyed his role as Sheriff Andy Taylor in The Andy Griffith Show. And, his lead role in Matlock was also quite impressive.

What I found interesting about The Andy Griffith Show was how Sheriff Andy Taylor was always right while the rest of the town often came across as a bunch of idiots who never heeded the good sheriff's warnings; however, Andy Taylor was never one to say, "I told you so!" and seemed quite content to allow the townspeople to believe the resolution to their problems was their own, although it was Andy who told them so long before it'd been a problem to start with. Sheriff Taylor was the common sense of Mayberry. Seems that's how Andy Griffith was himself.

Best wishes, Andy, as you begin your new adventure! Thank you for all you've done! And, best wishes to his family and friends!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Switchback

Post by Switchback »

I don't think I could name one single person that disliked Andy Griffith. Never heard a negative comment about him in all my life.

May he rest in peace.
Rick T.
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

I read that earlier today... It's sad, the Andy Griffith show is one of my favorite, older tv shows.
Bye Andy!
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Sad news indeed. He was a man of faith though so i'm sure he is grinning that grin as he is welcomed Home.

The Chief of my old department payed tribute to his character Sheriff Andy Taylor today by going out and walking a beat. I thought it was a nice gesture and a reminder of simpler times.
:spyder:
Dan
maa14

Post by maa14 »

C.L.L 97 wrote:I read that earlier today... It's sad, the Andy Griffith show is one of my favorite, older tv shows.
Bye Andy!
Yep, very sad also one of my favorite tv shows
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I used to watch that show every night as a kid growing up. They don't make TV shows like that anymore. :( Andy will certainly be missed.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Until I read his obit I never knew that he was a high school music teacher before his acting career.

Loved the TV show. I've seen evry episode multiple times. If you want to see some fine acting catch his earlier movie, "A Face in the Crowd".
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
JD Spydo

Andy Griffith: A true blue American Icon of greatness

Post by JD Spydo »

I distinctly remember the very first season of the Andy Griffith Show back in the early 60s when I was just a real little guy. It truly was a classic TV show that completely puts to shame most of the trash you see on TV now a days.

Andy Griffith was truly a class individual and just a great human being. If you all want to rent a movie that will make you literally laugh yourself silly go rent and watch his version of "No Time For Sergeants". To me that was his best acting job ever. It was probably the funniest movie from that era that I ever watched.

Ron Howard without a doubt owes his fame and fortune to Mr. Griffith for mentoring him as well as he did. I think I'm even going to buy me a copy of "No Time For Sargeants">> it truly was that good of a movie.

GOD rest your Soul Mr. Griffith> you certainly deserve it. We will all miss your great talents Sir.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

JD Spydo wrote:If you all want to rent a movie that will make you literally laugh yourself silly go rent and watch his version of "No Time For Sargeants". TO me that was his best acting job ever. It was probably the funniest movie from that era that I ever watched.
If memory serves Andy starred in that play which led him to break into the movies in the film version. It never occurred to me before but the "Gomer Pyle USMC" spin-off was essentially a remake of "No Time for Sergeants".
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sequimite wrote:If memory serves Andy starred in that play which led him to break into the movies in the film version. It never occurred to me before but the "Gomer Pyle USMC" spin-off was essentially a remake of "No Time for Sergeants".
I'm not too sure about the "Gomer Pyle" connection to Andy's part in "No Time For Sergeants" but it does make sense when you think about it. Also if you do a search on old 1960s TV Shows there was a remake and a TV show/series entitled "No Time For Sergeants" and I believe if my memory serves me well it was sometime around 1964-65 or thereabouts. I can't remember the actors name who played in that one but it only lasted a year or 2 and then was cancelled.

I will do some research on it today when I get time but I think Andy Griffith's "No Time For Sergeants" movie was done either in the early to mid 1950s. He did that movie way before the Andy GRiffith show ever hit the airwaves. I saw it for the first time in the mid to late 1960s as a kid but I later seen the movie again 2 to 3 more times in the seventies also.

The plot on the original "No Time For Sergeants" was about a country boy who got drafted into the army. If my memory is right Gomer Pyle actually joined the Marine Corp in his spin off of the Andy Griffith show. Also George Lindsey who played Gomer's cousin Goober gained a lot of fame later on with Hee Haw and many other TV shows. Andy GRiffith spawned a lot of talent and made a path for many successful careers out of that great show of his.

I still like to watch reruns of Andy Griffith especially the ones with Deputies Barney and his successor Warren>> those were hilariously funny shows. I hated to see it get cancelled in 1968 because I believe the show could have went on for another 4 to 5 years. Andy Griffith was truly a special talent and a Great American. GOD richly rest his soul is my prayer. JD
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Sequimite wrote:If you want to see some fine acting catch his earlier movie, "A Face in the Crowd".
Agreed. Here's what I wrote in the Ernest Borgnine thread:

As for Andy Griffith, did any of you ever see him in "A Face in the Crowd." Actually, I think this was mentioned in the thread on his passing, but man, he was just fantastic as the power-hungry hayseed commentator/political kingmaker Lonesome Rhodes. As much as I enjoyed him as Andy Taylor, it was a shame that role type-cast him and he never got a chance to do more stuff like A Face in the Crowd. Wonderful, wonderful movie.

Say hey to Goober, Andy.
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.