Not sharp out of the box

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Not sharp out of the box

Post by jackknifeh »

This is for people new to Spyderco or knives in general. I just saw a review of a Sage 1 and the reviewer said the knife was dull out of the box and he didn’t know if he would buy another Spyderco based on that. I don’t know if Spyderco would consider that a warranty issue or not. I believe they should be very sharp brand new but is that a manufacturing “defect”? My guess is a dull knife is very rare from Spyderco. I have 6 and they all came very sharp. Either way a knife is going to get dull anyway and need sharpening. Getting one dull knife isn’t reason to boycott the entire manufactureer no matter which company it is IMO. So, if your first Spyderco isn’t as sharp as you think it should be I’d recommend contacting Spyderco about sharpening it, sharpen it yourself or get a friend to do it.

I’m not saying the guy who wrote the review is “wrong” because he used his money to buy something he wanted and it didn’t meet his expectations for whatever reason and he has the right to do whatever he wants, like we all do. In this case however I feel he would be doing himself a disservice by not buying a Spyderco because he got a dull one.

Jack
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Sharpness out of the box is not a very big issue with me because I usually rebevel any knives that I will start carrying.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I have always thought that this was a ridiculous complaint. First off, I have never received a "dull" knife from Spyderco. Some are sharper than others, but all have at least a very usable edge. I have always been suspect of claims of "dull" knives from the Spyderco factory. I have dozens of knives in my sample population and all were sharp out of the box. That's a good record if you ask me. Would I boycott any company because the edge of a single knife wasn't my idea of sharp? No, that's ridiculous, but to each their own.

Sharp can be a very subjective term. Some like a polished hair whittling edge, others a toothy biting edge. What is pretty decent to me is likely stupid sharp to 98% of the world. At the end of the day, if your knife isn't sharp enough for you, sharpen it and stop whining.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

That's highly unusual to say the least. I own over a hundred Spydies in various models but I don't think I ever got a dull one, factory new.

If the reviewer has had broad experiences with various knives and brands, he would know a few escape with a dull edge or other defects. That's why warranty services are offered.

Having said that, a brand new dull knife is a cardinal sin. Never should happen.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
picobrain

Post by picobrain »

The dullest NIB spyderco i got was my Endura 4,
the edge was usable, but about half as sharp as average,
but it is also the smoothest opening and closing
of all my spydies, so I sharpened it and treasure it...

peace
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I've bought plenty of knives (higher percentages from a certain manufacturer who shall remain nameless) with edges I found disappointing, but never so bad that I would consider writing off the company.
—Daniel Jackson
unit

Post by unit »

When I hear a claim like that I jump to the (perhaps false) conclusion that the person is perhaps an amazing edge snob who will later post up images of the knife after he "fixed" it by honing a mirror edge on it that whittles hair, or they are a blithering idiot. Before you assume I am a jerk, read on...

The reality may be that the knife really was poorly sharpened and fell through the cracks...
BUT if *I* had never bought a Spyderco before,
AND *I* had access to a forum account.
I would probably also know that most people on this and other forums report that Spydercos have some of the best edges out of the box of any mass produced knife company.

Taking this supposition a bit further...*I* could conclude that either:
1. Everyone reporting great edges on NIB Spydercos on these forums is pumping BS, or
2. I got a rare exception that Spyderco probably will fix for me through CS, or
3. I am god to sharpening and none of these forum twits know what "sharp" really is.

#1 and #3 are pretty silly, so the rational thinking person is going to assume #2, right?

Why would that person then post up a review griping about dull edges out of the box? Better to simply solve the problem by contacting CS, or the vendor you bought from...right?

Dull happens, but it is not the end of the world folks...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

unit wrote:When I hear a claim like that I jump to the (perhaps false) conclusion that the person is perhaps an amazing edge snob who will later post up images of the knife after he "fixed" it by honing a mirror edge on it that whittles hair, or they are a blithering idiot. Before you assume I am a jerk, read on...

The reality may be that the knife really was poorly sharpened and fell through the cracks...
BUT if *I* had never bought a Spyderco before,
AND *I* had access to a forum account.
I would probably also know that most people on this and other forums report that Spydercos have some of the best edges out of the box of any mass produced knife company.

Taking this supposition a bit further...*I* could conclude that either:
1. Everyone reporting great edges on NIB Spydercos on these forums is pumping BS, or
2. I got a rare exception that Spyderco probably will fix for me through CS, or
3. I am god to sharpening and none of these forum twits know what "sharp" really is.

#1 and #3 are pretty silly, so the rational thinking person is going to assume #2, right?

Why would that person then post up a review griping about dull edges out of the box? Better to simply solve the problem by contacting CS, or the vendor you bought from...right?

Dull happens, but it is not the end of the world folks...
Here is the review. It was a review of a purchase on Amazon's site.
+++++++++
1 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Spyderco
This knife was so dull I finally sent it back to Spyderco. They did sharpen it and send it back but I was out the shipping and insurance. Based on this experience, I don't know if I'd buy another Spyderco knife.

Published 3 months ago by Tom
+++++++
This was for a Caly 3 (not that it matters). I think I said Sage before.
Thought I should quote the author for clearity's sake.

BTW Unit, we already knew you were a jerk. :D
Just kidding of course.

Jack
unit

Post by unit »

jackknifeh wrote:
BTW Unit, we already knew you were a jerk. :D
Just kidding of course.

Jack
Hey, I have been called far worse...and I am sure there are those that would feel I am a bit like #3 in my post. I am a big boy, and I can live with it ;)

IDK, I guess I am harsh at times...I just can recall a time not so long ago when I would have gotten pretty mad and said some of these people need to thank their lucky starts that they do not have better things to complain about!

I acquired many of the early additions to my collection by swiping up pieces that users had dulled over time and they lacked the skills/desire to re-edge them...I was THRILLED to afford a (new-to-me) knife that was dull out of the box...because I could not afford a real NIB Spyderco!

I guess some people just lack perspective....

Peace and love to all (seriously)

EDIT to add:
I find it as odd coincidence that many of the complaints I read regarding Spydercos come from purchases from Amazon. Not sure why that is, but it seems that the buyer might have done better to utilize Amazon's return/exchange policy (would not have cost the shipping/insurance...)
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I have seen more reports of a certain well-known manufacturer delivering new knives with not-so-sharp edges, or doing a poor job on their "resharpening" service, but such reports are indeed more rare with Spyderco. I do remember seeing someone complain on here about a real uneven edge grind on one.

I have several dozen Spyderco's, maybe around 40-50, and *most* of those have been outstandingly sharp.

I did recently receive one that didn't impress me (and it was fairly expensive, a Temperance 2). It just wasn't cutting like I thought it should, and when I looked closer the edge grind was pretty uneven. I know I could send it to Spyderco for free sharpening, but then I would be without the knife for a few weeks (and out the cost of the shipping), so I just decided to even it up with my sharpmaker and the diamond rods. A fair amount of time to even up the edges since the blade is pretty stout, but it's something I can do.

I can see how if this had been my very first Spyderco, it might have colored my expectations of other knives from them, but I think the reviewer overlooked the fact that there is more to a quality knife than just the sharpness of the edge it comes with.

Perhaps we are spoiled that the vast majority of our Spyderco's do indeed come with such very sharp edges straight from the factory!
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Most of my experience with edge tools comes from plane blades and chisels. Nobody who's at all serious about woodworking expects their tools -- even really good ones -- to arrive sharp out of the box. I don't mean that the tools aren't honed at all; just that anybody who actually cares about having their tools sharp is going to do final honing, no matter what. Given this reality, woodworking tools are evaluated on those measures of fit-n-finish which the user would not expect to finalize for him/herself.

Maybe knives are different for "knife people" than they are for me. But when I get a knife, I'm pretty much unconcerned with whether it's sharp out of the box -- I'm going to be putting it on a stone soon enough anyway. I'm concerned with all the other stuff, which I would prefer never to think about again, aside from occasionally oiling the danged thing.

The joke that occurred to me after posting this the first time was: I had to return this car to the factory; the mirrors were adjusted all wrong.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

dj moonbat wrote:Most of my experience with edge tools comes from plane blades and chisels. Nobody who's at all serious about woodworking expects their tools -- even really good ones -- to arrive sharp out of the box. I don't mean that the tools aren't honed at all; just that anybody who actually cares about having their tools sharp is going to do final honing, no matter what. Given this reality, woodworking tools are evaluated on those measures of fit-n-finish which the user would not expect to finalize for him/herself.

Maybe knives are different for "knife people" than they are for me. But when I get a knife, I'm pretty much unconcerned with whether it's sharp out of the box -- I'm going to be putting it on a stone soon enough anyway. I'm concerned with all the other stuff, which I would prefer never to think about again, aside from occasionally oiling the danged thing.

The joke that occurred to me after posting this the first time was: I had to return this car to the factory; the mirrors were adjusted all wrong.

I never heard that joke before. Is it a "blonde" joke? :D It does apply to this issue though. In case you aren't used to Spyderco knives they do normally come VERY sharp. Sharp enough that they don't need to be sharpened unless the user wants to re-profile the edge which is what a lot of knife people do. I'm a beginner "knife people" and do it most of the time. But you are right IMO about the user wanting to take care of his own tools. Much like people and their cars if they know how to work on them.

About chisels. I was going to throw mine away and buy new ones until I got on this forum, learned a lot about sharpening and diamond paste. Now I have them perfect and I was able to do it myself.

Jack
PS
No offense intended towards blondes.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

A high percentage of all Spydercos are extremely sharp out of the box. Most of the few that aren't are still reasonably sharp. But even that degree of sharpness is not guaranteed. Not having an edge at all would be a warranty issue. Not holding an edge after several sharpenings might also be one. Not being sharp, while surprising, is not because Spyderco makes no claim their knives will have a specific level of sharpness, so perceived dullness cannot be considered a defect.

Problem is that far too often people take what folks even more ignorant than themselves post on the internet to be the gospel truth.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
phaust

Post by phaust »

I always rebevel when I first get a knife also, but it's nice when they're even and at a decent angle.

I picked up a Caly 3.5 a few weeks ago that was atrocious. I couldn't use the Spyderco Angle Gauge to measure the edge because in some parts it was bigger than the maximum measure, 45*. (To be fair, every knife from Spyderco I bought in 2010 came very sharp and with a 30*, even-sided edge.)

It took awhile even with a red/blue DMT benchstone to reprofile (to down to under 30* so as to put a 30* microbevel on it). A regular person who buys a knife and throws it immediately in their pocket or tool box would have no chance at putting a decent angle on that knife. Moreover, a vast majority of people these days don't know how to sharpen a knife--even a significant number of knife afis don't. For that reason, a knife should come sharp and at an appropriate angle out of the box.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I don't think that I have ever bought a knife and it was "dull" out of the box. Yes, some were sharper than others. But none were so dull that making neat slices of paper wasn't possible...in fact the dullest was my CRKT M21...and that is not exactly a slicer, but it still made very thin slices of paper, just no curls, like all of my Spydies have done.
On the hunt for...
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

i had a early great eastern knife- man you want to talk dull-

the worst part was the one blade was bent from the factory in order for it to close-

then again the worst part was dealing with them-all i have to say is they stank imho
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I hope he doesn't buy any benchmade, who is infamous for out of box sharpness, or rather the lack of... The last one I bought had an edge angle of probably 70° near the tip.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

My question is this...If the guy had to send a knife back to Spyderco to have it sharpened....then he obviously doesn't know how to sharpen a knife....which in that case...how can we even trust his ability to tell if the knife was sharp or dull....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
spydietingle

Post by spydietingle »

Just received a Black Manix 2 about 2 hours ago that was a lot less than what I expected in sharpness. By no means did this give me any reason to look to another company to give me sharper knives NIB. After 10-15min the knife became close to "scary sharp". IMO it's not how sharp they are when you get them but how long will they keep the edge that is put on them once received. My Value Folder came much sharper than the Manix but I guarantee it won't keep the razor edge as long as my new baby.
James

She says: What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine.
I say: That's fine, except one thing -> :spyder:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

As strange as it seems I recall a BF thread started by a guy who ranted about all the imperfections about a knife that I know he made up.

He was still steamed about a thread that lasted a few days earlier that week that complained about another companies QC with noncentered blades and dull to axe like grinds.

The only reason he started the thread was he got his feelings hurt in the other thread and wanted to get back at the bad spyderco owners.

Things aren't always what they seem on the surface. We are pretty spoiled here on this website as people here usually are what they seem to be. Not always, but most of the time.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"