Any word on the Janisong?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kawr

Any word on the Janisong?

Post by kawr »

Is it coming anytime in the near future or is it still on the backburner for now? I hope it hasnt been scrapped because of all the silly knife restrictions we're seeing ie New York. Would be great if we could get another balisong type knife from Spyderco. I got to try out the Smallfly a while back and while it was a great balisong I think the Janisong would be a nice change of pace from the usual balisongs we see.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If it's a balisong, the situation in NYC should be irrelevant since it would already be a "restricted item" just like the Smallfly and Szabofly.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Tha Jani-Song was patented while I was employed by BlackHawk. When my employment with them was terminated, I bought the patent rights from them. When Spyderco hired me, they purchased those rights, so the Jani-Song now belongs to them.

Once I got settled in at Spyderco and got a feel for the R&D and product development cycle, I was amazed. At any one time, we have over 100 designs in development, many of which are just as cool and innovative as the Jani-Song. While I'll be the first to admit that it's frustrating to not have it in production, it is MUCH LESS frustrating to know that the reason for that is because we're focusing on many other equally good designs that are in line aheaqd of it. That's way better than the frustrations I used to have, which stemmed from very different and much less justifiable reasons.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Michael Janich wrote:Tha Jani-Song was patented while I was employed by BlackHawk. When my employment with them was terminated, I bought the patent rights from them. When Spyderco hired me, they purchased those rights, so the Jani-Song now belongs to them.

Once I got settled in at Spyderco and got a feel for the R&D and product development cycle, I was amazed. At any one time, we have over 100 designs in development, many of which are just as cool and innovative as the Jani-Song. While I'll be the first to admit that it's frustrating to not have it in production, it is MUCH LESS frustrating to know that the reason for that is because we're focusing on many other equally good designs that are in line aheaqd of it. That's way better than the frustrations I used to have, which stemmed from very different and much less justifiable reasons.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks a lot for the input Mike. I never new the Jani-Song is now owned by Spyderco.
100 NEW designs in development at once? Man, now that's something that'd cause a Spydie overdose and a heart attack!
Or would it? :D :cool:
Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

Great news in most respects!, however a lil sad for my retirement status needing to be revoked for said hundreds of awsome designs! Sigh.. I was getting bored anyhow now what to do this time to fund collecting.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Thank you Michael for this useful, informative post.

100 in the works??

Works for me -- prolly gotta make sure and get over to SFO at least every other month here to catch some of these as they roll off and premier, hopefully... :D

/ SB :cool:

**edit: Congrats of course for the Jani-Song inching it's way to the Spydie launching pad. Sure to be a liberating feeling!

Michael Janich wrote:Tha Jani-Song was patented while I was employed by BlackHawk. When my employment with them was terminated, I bought the patent rights from them. When Spyderco hired me, they purchased those rights, so the Jani-Song now belongs to them.

Stay safe,

Mike
harkamus

Post by harkamus »

Since it's a New Year and I've been keeping a watchful eye on the Jani-song since I first heard about it years ago, are there any updates Mr. Janich? Or is there any info you can provide to the community pending the Jani-song?

Maybe just a morsel or snippet? heh
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

Are there any updates on this? Is it still going to become a thing one day?
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

100 more designs! Are nyou kidding me? NOOOOOOOOO!!! :eek:
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

100 new designs to look forward to is very good news.
3Speedyfish3

Post by 3Speedyfish3 »

I was able to ask Mr. Janich about the Jani-Song last year at SHOT Show, but he requested our talk to be off the record (which I certainly honored). At the 2014 SHOT Show, I saw a prototype Jani-Song in the case at the smaller Spyderco booth. Mr. Janich was busy, so I missed speaking to him about it. I did get to flip the Jani-Song, though, and examine the design. It is utterly cool. Maybe Mr. Janich can give us an update for 2014. I am encouraged by seeing a proto... More information here: http://bladebarrelbezel.com/2014/01/20/ ... show-2014/
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I would like to see the Jani-Song come to fruition at some stage too... :cool:

The fact that a proto exists, is good to hear... :)

A standard scale size and options of blade shapes would be splendid...( Jani-Song Spearpoint, JS Warncliffe, JS Hawk etc) :D
3Speedyfish3

Post by 3Speedyfish3 »

Stuart,

I like the idea of different blades. Jani-Song with a Wharnie? Sweet!