Spyderco Street Beat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FLYBYU44

Spyderco Street Beat

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Okay guys, I've sold a large amount of my collection lately, some Spydies and some others as well. Right now I'm down to my Bob-T slip-it and my D2 Para. Both awesome knives and they will not be going for sale at all. I want to use most the cash I raised for school, however I also want to get a new knife. This one will be a small fixed blade knife, mostly for winter time EDC. I'm looking at the new Bark River neck knife and the Street Beat. I really like the Street Beat a whole lot, but I have some reservations about it as well.

First off I can't view one in person. From the numbers it looks like a larger fixed blade for an EDC knife. The Bark River is more the size I was looking for. Everyone mentions how the Street Beat just disappears when you carry it though. I like the kydex sheath, but I don't want a Teklock since I will be carrying in the waist band, not on the belt. I heard of the G-clip, but do you have to buy that by itself or does it come with the sheath? Also does the sheath retain the knife well enough for occasionally hanging it around the neck? Please post pics of your carry set up if you have them or describe it for me so I have some ideas. Also if anyone knows a good cheap place to purchase one I would love to hear. PM about that if possible, we don't want to break rules around here.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Tank

Post by Tank »

I heard they are shipping with the g-clip now, you could call to make sure. When I got mine it still had the tek-lok but I also got a new sheath and that did come with the g-clip. It is a really nice knife to carry in the waistband. I never carry on the neck so I can't answer that but I do have the stock sheath on my backpacking backpack strap and it is up side down. Went for a week long backpacking trip and never had an issue of it folling out. As far as size goes its about the same size as the caly 3. Sorry for the crappy pic, no good lighting available right now.
-John
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

pm sent
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Since you have a Bob T, though this might help you...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Great knife, I've used mine a good bit in the kitchen.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

The StreetBeat is one of my all time favourite EDC fixed blades. It is super ergonomic, got a great taper and a great blade design. I even used mine in the woods a few times, as my all around camp chore knife, and found it to be very good for that also.

I wish Spyderco could make another perrin fixed blade in that size. Only this time, maybe use H-1, or M4 for the steel.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Thanks for the size comparison guys, didn't know it was that small, I think it's a must get one now. :)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'm pretty sure that the tang is skeletonized. It's lightweight and very comfortable to grip.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

I've been wanting a SB for a while. I thought they were bigger too. Now that I see one next a good point of reference I want one even more. :)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Question:

Would it be a bad idea for me to wait until this time next year to purchase one of these in hopes of low, discontinued, blow out prices (a la Rock Salt, Caly 3, etc)? I really like the Street Beat, but it's kinda low on my list of "knives to get". The only bad thing I can see is that I miss out on a year of use / ownership of a nice knife. That, and there is really no guarantee that it will be discontinued. I'm just trying to save some money & use more discretion with my Spydie purchases because the last couple months I've went a little overboard.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
sal

Post by sal »

We have no plans to disco the Street Beat. It's a highly refined Fred Perrin urban carry fixed blade and while it is not a high volume piece, it is too good to not have available.

sal
jonUSA,EARTH

Post by jonUSA,EARTH »

Jay_Ev wrote:Question:

Would it be a bad idea for me to wait until this time next year to purchase one of these in hopes of low, discontinued, blow out prices (a la Rock Salt, Caly 3, etc)? I really like the Street Beat, but it's kinda low on my list of "knives to get". The only bad thing I can see is that I miss out on a year of use / ownership of a nice knife. That, and there is really no guarantee that it will be discontinued. I'm just trying to save some money & use more discretion with my Spydie purchases because the last couple months I've went a little overboard.
If you can hold out do it, A Forum Friend was nice enough to pick one up for me at the SFO sale last month, and it was only $4:D ,without a sheath of course, that was why it was a second(BIG DEAL)A buddy made me a sheath for $30.So all told I paid $70 for a Brand New ;) Street Beat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I bought a Street Beat a couple of months ago and can attest to it's extreme quality. I, for one, am glad that it is VG10 for easier maintenance and can't possibly endorse this knife strongly enough for it's fantastic balance, excellent grips, and phenomenal looks. The G-Clip boltaron sheath is very good as well, especially when compared to the rather non-optimal sheaths that much higher-end knives often come with.

Spyderco hit a Grand Slam with this knife, IMO... :cool:
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I held out a long time before getting the SB. Mostly bc I did not have funds available for any knife purchase, but I finally got one a few months back - no regrets at all. Great little knife, very light, easy to carry, G-clip works great and much more versatile than tek-lok. VG10 is one of my favorite steels too. This one is a winner for sure.
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I just bought the sheath that Marion David Poff touted for the Mules. Guess what?
It is great for my Street Beat. The only improvement I would make in the design would be to make it more "high rise." But I am not complaining because I do not like Kydex very much.
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

I have the older tec-loc sheath. It carries great and the knife will handle anything you throw at it. It may be designed for urban carry but that doesn't mean it can't handle tough jobs on the farm with ease.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

While I was looking around to find the best deal on a Street Beat I found a Perrin Neck Bowie for sale. Pretty much the same design just scaled down and with out handle scales on it. I did purchase it because I was looking for more of a neck knife then a sheath carry knife and I just wasn't sure the Street Beat would work for that. Also the Neck Bowie was about $60 cheaper. :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I see the Perrin Neck Bowie in the same league as the Spyderco Swick. Quite a bit thinner than the Street Beat but it's a piece of metal instead of a full handled 3.5" knife (not a bad thing, just different).

I don't think the steel used can hold up against VG10 or S30V but one doesn't use a neck knife for breaking down hundreds of cardboard boxes. It's a seriously cool design :) Grats!
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I actually got rid of the Neck Bowie now, it was a little small for me, not entirely comfortable, another 1/2" of handle space would have made a huge difference. I also didn't care for neck carry, it was my first time doing it and really it was annoying, I don't know how people do that all the time. :) Anyway, I'm jonesing for a Street Beat again, probably after I sell my straight razor I can get one.