Praise for the Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carrot

Praise for the Stretch

Post by carrot »

When I went to the SFO this summer, I handled just about every knife in the showroom (thanks everyone for being so patient) and the one that *really* hit home for me was the Stretch 2 FRN.

While the CF/ZDP Stretch was certainly within budget for my visit, there's something to be said for how awesome the FRN Stretch is at its price point.

For under $100, this is a knife that slices and dices with ease, thanks in no small part to its large-ish blade, with a full flat grind and graceful curves. It's lightweight, the FRN texturing makes it super grippy, and most of all the handles feel like they mold to your hands perfectly. It's comfortable to hold, carries easily thanks to Spyderco's futuristic hourglass pocket clip (imagine that, an ergonomic pocket clip... unseen on any other mfr's knives) and has a unique, exotic look that just screams USE ME.

Recently the Stretch has kicked out the UKPK from my pocket because of its luxurious handle and elegant blade. Anyone else think the Stretch is one heck of a knife?
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I think it's a great knife love the shape of the blade and the ZDP is pretty good but i have the CF one i like the heft the blade shape just does so many things so well i only wish it was S90V if it were i'd take my S90V manix out and replace it with the stretch. I find the stretch more versatile than the manix just i prefer the S90V so i can't stop carrying it but yet the Stretch does deserve alot of praise i love it
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Oh whow, I beat Paul to this one :)

Here I am being the second (EDIT: third) one (well, on THIS thread, that is) to praise the Stretch. The Stretch I was in my pocket for quite a while, but at some point in time, I decided it was too precious got get beaten up while EDC'd (it was, as all Spydies, really expensive over here. Retail price was around €170 which equals close to $250. And that leads to the central dilemma of using high quality knives: you don't want to mess up your knife, because it just is too pricey). That's actually what kept me from using the Stretch 2 CF. $435 is just too much for a knife go scratch it up in EDC rotation or even risk of losing it.

So, this is where the FRN Stretch jumps in: Although its retail price in Europe is still "up and away", I managed to catch one directly from the states for waaaay less than what I would pay here. It is a CE, so it is just right for EDCing (for collection, I still would have preferred plain edge), since CE proved to be ridiculously useful in EDC tasks.

I will continue to carry it until a) I just can't resist buying something even more useful (doubt that) or b) my other Spydies ccry too loud in the showcase for being carried (but at the moment, I'm kind of deaf :D )

I own all the Stretches made to date, and I seriously think it is the best EDC knife Spyderco has made. Others come close though ;)

Dennis
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Stretch is hands down my favorite knife, any model in fact. IMHO, best knife Spyderco makes and I would love to see more. All though, no one praises it more than The Deacon :) .

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Can't add much to this. Like Dennis, I've been carrying some version of the Stretch since they first came out. Began singing it's praises shortly after receiving my first, and have not found a better all-around EDC since.

The only model that's come close has been the C83 Persian. But the Persian, while arguably more eye pleasing, was handicapped for me by not having a full flat grind and by having perhaps the worst implementation ever of the Boye dent which makes closing one painfully difficult.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

I've got a UKPK on me now but I'd rather it were a Stretch. Shortly, I'll go half way and it'll be a UKStretchPK I'm carrying but I'd still rather it was a Stretch. ;) :D
stonetone

Post by stonetone »

Been carrying the FRN Stretch non stop since it arrived more than a month ago. It's a wonderful piece...

Every now again I dig out the D2 Para, but it's only out of a basic sense of fairness.
:spyder: C124GPFG/C101GP2/C11PGRE/
MT04P/C88PBK/C81FGD2P/C90PBK/
C36GPOR/C64JPBG :spyder:
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

The Stretch is one of my favorite knives.

There is just nothing bad I can say about it. Comfortable as can be, great flat grind. Sizes are just the right size for a larger edc.

:D
THG

Post by THG »

I just got it a few days ago, and I love it already. I do have a couple of very minor issues with it, though:

1. The "clack" when the lock engages shows less authority than my Endura, and it's even weaker than my Delica's! Not a big deal at all; I just find it a little strange.

2. The "Spyderco Stretch" logo in the middle of the FRN handle kinda gets in the way of the grip texturing. That means that the only finger that gets any good grip is the ring finger.

3. The hole is kinda big. I see its pros, but for myself, I would have liked a E4/D4-sized hole. It's fine, though.

I have a feeling it's going to be my favorite knife =)
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
carrot

Post by carrot »

With regards to the clack I have noticed it too. In Spoonrobot's dissection of the Stretch 2 you can see that the lock interface is a good bit different from many of the other lockbacks offered by Spyderco. I think this accounts for the new sound and I hope Sal will kindly share his reasons for the new design.

I personally believe it seems to be designed to tolerate more pocket lint or debris without making the lock weaker. Seeing as Spyderco is constantly innovating I am not surprised at all that they would experiment with new lock interfaces.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Stretch Yes!
Deacon has phrased Stretch since they were in all steel. I liked the thin blade but didn't get one because of the steel handle.
Now:
I have CF ZDP and the FRN VG10. I seem to carry the VG10 more because the thicker handle feels better and the VG10 is a cutter.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

I picked up a FRN/ZDP-189 just last week.

For me the rubber inserts on the first model killed the deal, they just felt weird. When the CF came out I just couldn't afford one.

But this New stretch is just freakin' awesome! Wicked Sharp, nice fit in hand and pocket. It has replaced my FG JD Smith as EDC. (for now.)

I even love the color.
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

THG wrote:1. The "clack" when the lock engages shows less authority than my Endura, and it's even weaker than my Delica's! Not a big deal at all; I just find it a little strange.
The Stretch has a different spring style as well. Not sure if it actually has any effect on overall strength though.

srram

Post by srram »

I kept hearing the Deacon praise the stretch and when Gary
G. requested pics I bought one. The black FRN has been in
my pocket ever since. I did get the ZDP blue one and the
CF one will be next. This knife just is perfect for me.
markg

Post by markg »

Got one en-route...

Gee, I hope I like it, seeing as everyone here seems to HATE the thing. ;)
THG

Post by THG »

spoonrobot wrote:The Stretch has a different spring style as well. Not sure if it actually has any effect on overall strength though.
I'm not sure how that's different from the E4 and D4; I suck at I-Spy :o

Does the spring have an extra joint/bend?
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The E4 spring has two bends and a more severe angle than the S2 spring which causes it to have a louder, potentially more forceful lock engagement. The Delica only has one bend but I can't tell if the angle is significantly different.

This may just be because the E4 has a longer blade than the S2 and requires the extra spring tension, I'm not sure.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I just got my VG-10 stretch today; I agree, great blade. If there's one complaint I have it's that they could have made the choil deeper & softened the sharp corner right behind it, but when you go to open the knife the reason they call it the stretch becomes apparent: the blade has incredible reach, and feels a lot bigger than it actually is. Very good blade shape. I think I might put this one in my car as a rescue knife/knife to give people to open packages with.
THG

Post by THG »

npueppke wrote:If there's one complaint I have it's that they could have made the choil deeper & softened the sharp corner right behind it
I think they should get rid of the choil altogether. The "natural" grip of this knife seems to be... As if you were doing a "thumbs up" grip rather than that "pinch the knife between your thumb and forefinger" grip. The latter works on a knife like the Native, but I think the Stretch is meant for the former.

That said, I think the choil should be done away with and replaced with 3/8" more cutting edge. If I had the resources and the skill, I might just do it myself.

carrot

Post by carrot »

Blasphemy! I love the choil, although I agree the natural grip for the knife is without it. It is good to be able to use the choil though, and helps you control the tip better.