Leafstorm review. Lotsa pics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cruikshank

Leafstorm review. Lotsa pics

Post by cruikshank »

Hey guys,

I am an active member over on the USN and this will be my first post here. I hope you enjoy my little review and please excuse my crappy pics.

Well, I couldn't resist. I had to get one of these guys. I have a real affinity for green G10 for some reason. I saw this design and knew I had to have it.

Here is a small review. I got this today and have cut an apple with it, opened some bills with it, cut a sandwich in half, and cleaned under my fingernails with it.

The first thing that struck me when I opened the box is "Wow, this dude is small!". I read the specs online but still didn't expect it to be this small.

Pretty much the same size as a Strider PT.

I absolutely love the blade shape and the lines. It is beautiful. It is more like a work of art than a knife.

It is the smoothest operating knife I have ever owned. It opens and locks smoother than my Seb. The fit and finish on all surfaces is just as good if not better than the Seb.

I have small-medium hands and it fits me perfectly. Those of you guys with big ole' meat hooks are probably gonna have a problem with this guy. But it fits me perfectly.

It performs bigger than it looks and feels smaller than it is. It totally disappears in the hand.

My only want, the only thing I would change, is to have rounded edges on the spine of the blade, or the same bit that finished the Ti lock side run around the top edge of the blade.

It has a stock Spyde clip on it and drilled for tip up carry on the lock side (righty). There are no other options. Many people have said they dont like the clip position. I have to say that I dont really like the aesthetics of it. But, it works really well clipping into the pocket. It would be much more aesthetically pleasing if it were parallel with the openings and edges on the lock side, but I am not sure if it would be as ergonomically friendly that way.

I will add more as I think of things.

Here are some pics.

Leaves in a rainstorm. Get it? my attempt at profound photography. whata joke...

cruikshank

Post by cruikshank »

Here are the rest of the pics

Here it is compared to an SnG.

Blade comparo...

The details on this thing are impressive. All outside edges on the Ti lock side are gone around with a "round-over" bit of some kind. They are finished beautifully.

Compared to a SnG and a small Sebenza.

I love it. It will get lotsa use.
nathan310

Post by nathan310 »

Nice review! Thanks.
Never mistake kindness for weakness.
Billy

Post by Billy »

Thanks for the review and pics! Great looking little knife.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Cruikshank, welcome to the Spydie forums! Excellent review and photos. Wow, I've really been wavering on this knife, but you sure got me leaning back towards getting one. It really is a little jewel of a piece. And I really liked your shots of the Leafstorm on the stormy leafs :D Your woods look like a nice place to wander. Where is that?

BTW, I just joined the USN a couple of days ago. I've yet to introduce myself over there, but it looks like an excellent place with some cool folks, and when I found out two guys I really respect from here were members, I thought I just had to join too. Hope to see you there or here. :)
v8r

Post by v8r »

Thanks for the review.I love the color of that g10, I wish spyderco would use more of it.It almost looks like those vintage cabinet knobs that they call coke bottle glass.very classy :)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
cruikshank

Post by cruikshank »

Doc Pyres wrote:.... Where is that?
Its in LaPlata, MD 20646
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cruikshank,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum and thanx much for the great pics.

Hope you enjoy Kevin's design and Golden's work.

sal
imatyssik

Post by imatyssik »

Thank you for a review. I have been looking for this type of review for some time. Pics look great as well.

Now the questions is, where do I get one. None of the online retailers seem to have it.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thanks for the nice shots and welcome.
The scale looks like G11, translucent green?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's nice to hear from Seb fans with the new RIL frame-lock Spydercos.

Not because "one is better" than the other, but simply because they are first hand fit and finish snobs. When someone gives a good review of a Spydie and compares it directly to a Seb, it makes you know that Spyderco is making huge steps bridging the custom to manufacturer level of excellence (as if they didn't already).

I can't wait to play with a Sage 2 or Leafstorm someday. Thanks for the great review!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That's a cool little knife. Thanks for the pics and review, and welcome!

- best wishes, Jazz.
Aimless

Post by Aimless »

Boy do I want one of those, wish it was a bigger.
SlideTechnik

Post by SlideTechnik »

All three of those knives look awesome. Cool looking texture on the handle of the SnG
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

When I first saw the pictures of this thing (a month or so back) I really did not like the design... :o Now the more and more I see it the more interesting it becomes... I guess it won't be long before I "need" one :rolleyes: :D
Vic
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

cruikshank wrote:Its in LaPlata, MD 20646
Nice review, how is the blade forward hold? It looks like you would want to have your index finger pretty far back from that sharp blade.

I do my Target and Safeway shopping in LaPlata but live on the other side of the Nice bridge in VA. :)
alanforbes

Post by alanforbes »

I recently bought the Sage 2 and it's lock build and lock up compare favorably to my Reeves Sebenza. I bought the Leaf Storm as I loved the way it looked. The store I bought it at had 3 left and I picked the one w the best lock up. None of them locked up w the certainty of thge Sage 2. I had to tinker w it trying to get rid of the vertical movement and rattle. The lock bar seems too thin, though it is a very small, lightweight knife. If you tighten the pivot, the vertical movement can be stopped, but the knife becomes difficult to open and close. Is anyone else having this problem w their Leaf Storm? The lock up and the frame lock is definitely not as well done as on the Sebenza or Sage 2.
Seanski

Post by Seanski »

To steal other peoples words...thanks for the review and pic's. I'm much the same in that the more I see this knife the more interested I become.
I can see though if I bought one it would "nick" me a few times closing it until I got used to the blade being "right there" with no ricasso?
But hey Spyderco those G-10 slabs are great looking!! Those really should be put on a few other models in the future.

Sean
Use your blades in the kitchen, it's great bonding time!
supermatch38sa

Post by supermatch38sa »

Welcome to the forum buddy. You´ve just made me buy a leaftorm 5min ago.
Thanks a lot for the review, excellent!!!
Greetings from Spain to you all my dear spyderfriends!!!!
Jose
Jose
¨PRICE IS FORGOTTEN, QUALITY IS EVERLASTING¨
krazichinaman

Post by krazichinaman »

I too purchased a leafstorm last week and was suppose to get it on 8/7/09. Good ole UPS has rescheduled it for the 10th and go figure I will be leaving tomorrow and won't be coming back till the 14th. What great 3 day shipping huh? The best part is that this happened to me twice already from UPS. Once for my Sebenza for over a week and another time for my MOD CQD MK II. ARG!!!!!!!***VENT OVER***

Either route, I purchased this leaf storm to compete with my Small Sebenza for my EDC. I work for a major tobacco company and use my knife daily to cut up boxes, tape, POS etc in the field and people are still giving me the stink eye for my small benza. I figured the size and color of the leaf storm should do wonders. What really sold me was the green color g-10....I'm a sucker for green. :D I too will help add to this review once I get it...next Friday :mad:

All I can do now is just stare at the pictures dreaming and drooling :D ;)
________
Voyeur Private
________
Park Royal Pattaya